IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Hughton turned down the Watford job earlier in the season didn’t he? Not sure why he’d want to go there when they don’t appear to give their managers much of a chance.

He won’t have forgotten the manner in which he was sacked by Brighton. I would imagine he’ll want some assurances and stability which Watford won’t provide.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Anyone else reckon this thread title should be changed to the new manager thread - it seems like the new gaffer could still be one of many.  Personally, I've always wanted DaveFevs to have a crack at the job.  Dave, did you apply?

Very kind words Kev, bit out of my depth I think. ?

No, I didn’t apply.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That's because you were waiting for Watford so Hughton couldn't go there ?

“I can categorically deny that my people have not spoken to Watford or any other club”....that’s how you word it isn’t it? ?

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

He was not the right person for the job at the time, nobody on here had one thought that he would be our next manager at the time that Cotterill was sacked. We had 2-3 weeks ( like now) of name after name being put forward, his name wasn  on the lips of any City fan. His record was underwhelming to say the least, Barnsley and Oldham fans laughed at us for employing him. 

SL wanted someone who looked up to him, and LJ turned out to be that person. It’s comical in some respects. 

I’m not knocking SL for what he has done for this club, but his own choice of managers are not something he has done very well. Even when LJ was clearly struggling he gave him a new 4 year contract, the mind boggles.

I did. And i was pleasantly surprised when he was appointed.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“I can categorically deny that my people have not spoken to Watford or any other club”....that’s how you word it isn’t it? ?

Oh great so now its nine people being interviewed! SL just hates us! He wants to make money out of us by spending millions and never getting to the premier league, it's just a game to him, whats he ever done for us? Why can't the interview process be live streamed? With OTIB allowed to asks questions? That's the only way we'll get the important information like: "Once you knew BCFC were interested why did you not take the job on sight? Why was there anything to negotiate at all? Why do we have to muck about with interviews? And Gold or haze?

2 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

I think the one thing that stands out is how little anyone knows outside of the Club inner circle handling the appointment.   

It's bizarre the betting has been suspended given CH is supposedly just one of many under consideration.

A few media sources have shown how little information is really available. The false information that CH had been appointed came from some of the largest media organisations.

The Bristol post has tried to sound authoritative and 'in the know' by correctly dismissing the story that CH had been appointed, however, they appear to know very little beyond that.   They ran a story saying 8 candidates were being interviewed from a 'short-list.  Unfortunately, aside from CH, they can't specify a single candidate on that list.  I asked Gregor for a name or two from that 'definite' 8 in his lunchtime Q & A but he wasn't able to name one beyond CH.  Another person asked him who represented the foreign candidate interest the Post has referenced.  Again, he didn't know. 

The Steven Gerrard story was denied by City and the man himself and City even rang Rangers to confirm they had made no unofficial contact whatsoever.  The Bristol Post, however, ran countless stories on it.  They also represented it as fact rather than wild speculation. I suspect the way City operate is they throw a few red herrings out there and, just like the transfer business, keep things very much under wraps

It's fine if the media don't know but it's the pretending to have special insight with references to 'our sources' that's a bit tiresome.  I suppose an honest story headlined "Bristol City next Manger: We haven't got a clue" isn't very likely.

It's bizarre the betting has been suspended given CH is supposedly just one of many under consideration

I think that has to be the clue here,  betting suspended would indicate that the manager has already been decided on

2 hours ago, Lez said:

This cant be right. @Kid in the Riot said this was confirmed and we are just dotting the is and ts. Surely he cant be wrong.

Ah we have no idea how many Is and Ts are in the contract! 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Anyone else reckon this thread title should be changed to the new manager thread - it seems like the new gaffer could still be one of many.  Personally, I've always wanted DaveFevs to have a crack at the job.  Dave, did you apply?

If we cant get Hughton I wouldn't be disappointed with Davefevs ?

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we want chris then we need to move quickly. if not he will head to watford. 

You can’t trap a manager just by getting in early.  I think it was pretty inevitable that any in-demand out of work manager would want to wait until the end of the season before committing himself.  Hughton might reasonably be expected to be in the running at several prem clubs if the jobs became available.  Can’t help but feel that Watford would be attractive to anyone: you sign a three year contract, get sacked after three months, and get your contract paid up.  Sounds good to me! ?

Never sure whether to post this stuff, but here you go anyway - (from a source who is inconsistent, but is directly related to someone in the medical team) - Medical for new player tomorrow, told an older player 30+ - anyone else with more consistent links able to confirm or add more detail? @Kid in the Riot? @Harry

Posted here as I wondered if we could be looking at a player manager? would be odd to get someone 30+ in whilst manger-less. 

Archived