IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

51 minutes ago, Taz said:

Hughton is not happening IMO.

I think we're more likely to see a foreign coach employed, more in the mould of Farke. 

If it is going to be somebody in this country already, then I'm now edging towards more of a Lowe appointment.

I'd still like to see Hughton announced, but the longer this has gone on, the more unlikely it seems to get.

Trouble is, last time we did the 'foreign' thing, it ended badly, with Benny made manager rather than just coach. Shame, because I thought it had legs, and Benny certainly had an eye for a player.

52 minutes ago, Taz said:

Hughton is not happening IMO.

I think we're more likely to see a foreign coach employed, more in the mould of Farke. 

If it is going to be somebody in this country already, then I'm now edging towards more of a Lowe appointment.

I'd still like to see Hughton announced, but the longer this has gone on, the more unlikely it seems to get.

I’m starting to come round to this as well. 
This is what they did last time. Drag it out to manage expectations before starting to drip information through the media that we are down the line with an underwhelming yes man / puppet.

7 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Mate, this. 

Have you noticed throughout the years, that we as a fan base are always wrong haha.

Whenever we get excited about something, it's rubbish, and when we are annoyed about it, it always turns out for the best. 

Could not be more right. I remember being excited about Nicky Hunt. A proven RB with premier league experience to tighten up a shaky defence? Spot on signing in my book.

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Trouble is, last time we did the 'foreign' thing, it ended badly, with Benny made manager rather than just coach. Shame, because I thought it had legs, and Benny certainly had an eye for a player.

I don't think that his spell as manager 22 years ago should have any impact on our choice this time around. Other clubs have proved that foreign managers can work at this level, I hope we're looking into it as an option.

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

McGG saying 5-8 interviews CH is the only one definite one he can name 

He hasn’t got a clue, just picking numbers out of the air. His only source of info is coming from other journalists, he’s well out of the loop

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

'Empties the Ashton Gate stands'. City had their highest average attendances since the late 70s with Johnson in charge.

Figures counted differently now, thousands of STH's don't actually turn up each match but are still counted in the 'official' attendance.

A lot of other fans seem to attend for the social side with the football being a secondary consideration - I see groups of them with a pint in their hand in the concourse after a game laughing and joking, while I'm trudging out completely pissed off by another diabolical performance.

I'd had a belly full of LJ and being frustrated and bored by his team and tactics and I wasn't going to renew next season if LJ was still there.

I'm sure I wasn't alone and no doubt the club were well aware of the dissatisfaction and disenchantment in the fanbase and how that would affect attendances going forward.

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

That's well over 20 years ago though. We're a completely different club now, so I don't see why we can't cast our net further than these shores.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Figures counted differently now, thousands of STH's don't actually turn up each match but are still counted in the 'official' attendance.

A lot of other fans seem to attend for the social side with the football being a secondary consideration - I see groups of them with a pint in their hand in the concourse after a game laughing and joking, while I'm trudging out completely pissed off by another diabolical performance.

I'd had a belly full of LJ and being frustrated and bored by his team and tactics and I wasn't going to renew next season if LJ was still there.

I'm sure I wasn't alone and no doubt the club were well aware of the dissatisfaction and disenchantment in the fanbase and how that would affect attendances going forward.

Spot on noggers ??

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think that his spell as manager 22 years ago should have any impact on our choice this time around. Other clubs have proved that foreign managers can work at this level, I hope we're looking into it as an option.

Exactly. Its this sort of ‘’ it didn’t work X amount of years ago - lets not try it again’’ attitude that holds back BCFC IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If you're happy for the club to finish mid table every season while playing dreadful unwatchable football that empties the AG stands LJ was doing just fine.

Not happy with that but its better then fight relegation which was happening before him

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

because he did so badly ?

Established us as a top half club after being relegation candidates.

You probably just want a big name.

With the utmost respect, 12th is mid table obscurity, not top half.

58 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

There's plenty of speculation and hype that we've built up about getting Hughton that if we went for someone else I could see a bit of a backlash from the fan base. 

Of course on paper he's an attractive option but maybe it's worth considering if we go for someone else less 'proven' it could still be a successful choice. 

Consider the managers of the top 6 this season:

Bielsa - came with a great reputation but this had come from coaching rather than winning silverware. Also never managed in England
Bilic - arguably the most 'proven' with relative success with West Ham in the prem
Frank - only had one job managing mens football in Denmark before joining Brentford as assistant then head coach
Parker - months of experience getting relegated from the Prem with Fulham
Harris - success getting millwall out of L1 but hadn't taken a team up from this league (and won't based on last night!)
Cooper - had only managed youth teams

Season before?

Farke - only had success in German lower divisions, had never managed in England
Wilder - only had success in the lower leagues
Smith - had built a good reputation with his style of football but hadn't won promotion until going up with Villa

My point is we're all calling for Hughton because he's 'been there and done it'. I can understand why completely, as I said on paper it looks like a good appointment, however there's more to it than whether a coach has done it before. There's little point on us getting Hughton in if he isn't aligned with how we want to operate as a club so if we don't get Hughton try and trust the board, get behind the new man and remember some of the examples above which worked out well despite little or no success in England or the Championship. 

I think another aspect of the desire for a Hughton type coach is that we need credibility.

We are not a club like Villa, Norwich, WBA, Sheffield United, Leeds etc who have already spent many seasons in the Prem , we haven’t been there yet and when and if we get there it would be helpful to have someone who has that experience and consolidated an unfashionable club , Brighton, when he made it .

All the clubs you mention,apart from Brentford , are pretty much yoyo clubs between the Prem and the Championship. When we get there it will be unknown territory.

We are seen as a progressive club and as such can attract top coaches from all over the world. We work in a modern system, the days of one man doing it all his way are gone , there is way too much at stake.

So any contemporary , progressive coach would have no problem fitting into our way of functioning. If, in the unlikely event , CH can’t or won’t adapt then he will find himself cast aside as a yesterday’s man. 

28 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

'Empties the Ashton Gate stands'. City had their highest average attendances since the late 70s with Johnson in charge.

Only because the seating capacity was increased.

Or turn that statement around and it becomes:-

Bristol City attendance's were lower in the period since the stadium became all seated because the capacity, with segregation, was limited to just over 19,000.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair point, but we've not gone down that route since, and it we do, it needs to be in the right structure. Things have moved on, yes, but I guess one key thing is are we well enough respected on the continent?

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

See above - I'm not saying it was wrong then or it's wrong now, but clubs have long memories. We've not gone outside the UK since.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Bristol City attendance's were lower in the period since the stadium became all seated because the capacity, with segregation, was limited to just over 19,000.

So you think games sold out for all those years?

Couple of thoughts...in the absence of any managerial news worth noting:

First, the increase in the popularity of season tickets - due to people having bit more money maybe, or the difficulty of sitting with mates if you don't have one - has meant that the claimed attendance, based on ticket sales, doesn't reflect the popularity of the performances on the pitch from week to week. We renewed in February - the club had £1000 in the bank long before we had any idea who would be managing us, or even which division we'd be in.

Second, I'd be amazed if GMcG prints stuff he has no faith in being able to justify. He has to have an on-going relationship with the club. he'd look pretty daft if he said that we'd not interviewed, say, Karl Robinson, and the following week had to interview him. I think people need to give him and the Post a bit more credit. When they don't know things they speculate, when they do they put them a bit more strongly. As of today I'd be surprised if Robinson or Flynn is the new boss.

9 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exactly. Its this sort of ‘’ it didn’t work X amount of years ago - lets not try it again’’ attitude that holds back BCFC IMO. 

That's not what I meant, and it's not what I said. What I said was we had tried it, it failed and we haven't tried it since. Which suggests that this attitude is EXACTLY the one at AG. It's not my belief, but the evidence is there in terms of our recruitment. We've had any number of foreign players, but not a foreign coach. And how many appointments have we made since then?

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not happy with that but its better then fight relegation which was happening before him

If we're going nowhere at least let's have a bit of excitement and entertainment that makes attending AG enjoyable occasionally.

Are you saying this club is incapable of maintaining Championship football without comatosing the fans?

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Nonsense. We didn't exactly sell out the ground during the 80s, 90s, 00s did we?

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If we're going nowhere at least let's have a bit of excitement and entertainment that makes attending AG enjoyable occasionally.

Are you saying this club is incapable of maintaining Championship football without comatosing the fans?

Most games our gang awoke from our comas with 20 mins left of the match pegging it out of the ground at a furious pace back to the car ????

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

And for much of those 40 years we had nothing like the number of season ticket holders we now have, turning up or not.

I am sure you're not alone in your views of LJ and the football served up the past year or two at least. I probably wouldn't argue. But this wholesale revision of history just to denigrate anything that happened during LJs reign is ridiculous. You can argue anything you like if you start basing it on assumptions about why people are going, on unknowns, etc 

The fact is that we are playing in a better stadium, in front of higher attendances, and with a higher status in football now than at any time in the past 40 years. OK, the football's been crap, we haven't got the best out of the players we've got, and that alone may have been enough to see the end of LJ, but let's not rewrite the rest just to suit a "LJ did nothing right" agenda. 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The fact is that we are playing in a better stadium, in front of higher attendances, and with a higher status in football now than at any time in the past 40 years. OK, the football's been crap, we haven't got the best out of the players we've got, and that alone may have been enough to see the end of LJ, but let's not rewrite the rest just to suit a "LJ did nothing right" agenda. 

You needn't have bothered with the rest tbh.

Archived