IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a feeling he's going to go to Watford. They can offer a bigger budget, it's closer to London too and on paper would look like they'd have a better chance of going straight back up. 

Also, he's 61 now - is he really going to want to commit to a 4-5 year 'project' as a head coach?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

I think he’s rejected them once before but if he gets a good compensation clause in his contract in case they sack him early in it, I reckon he’ll go there for exactly the same reasons as you.

Put some money on at sky bet he still 8/1 there

31 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

4/1 on paddy power

I can’t help thinking with Talk Sport and their constant betting updates and advertising  that they have an understanding with betting organisations to stimulate betting through the likes of Jim White and Co. They talk about Hughton to us as a done deal and then a few days later it’s Watford and more bets go on. They can make up anything they like just as long as it makes the bookies happy.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I can’t help thinking with Talk Sport and their constant betting updates and advertising  that they have an understanding with betting organisations to stimulate betting through the likes of Jim White and Co. They talk about Hughton to us as a done deal and then a few days later it’s Watford and more bets go on. They can make up anything they like just as long as it makes the bookies happy.

And there you have it, modern media isn't about finding stories and reporting on them, it's about keeping sponsors happy and generating add revenue, its just another arm of a big businesses marketing department 

8 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

They wouldn't be linked to Skybet at all, would they...............

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

This thread reminds me of the Egyptian striker thread years ago, can’t think of his name now, began with an M?

.... what, the one that proved that even when you’ve been photographed sat in the stand wearing our shirt, it’s no guarantee you’ve signed???!!!

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Ahh, the ‘originals’.

Then there was Buzsacky.

Jesse Lingard (I got proper told off by some ‘look at me’ merchant at the time for having the nerve to doubt that one).

McGuire, Gayle, Grey, Nketiah...

Any more?

Curbs, Owen,

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

thats some good points but it falls down when the restart happened,

There were no fans in the ground so there was no cauldron of nerves effecting players,

That's where it finally hit the "suits" that the problem was the head coach and his inability to pick a consistent side and sending his best young players who could of injected much needed energy and effort out on loan,

I know and to be fair that's where my stance on LJ dramatically changed, as there was really no excuse for coming back so poorly from that break.

You'd assume coming back from so long off with almost a fully fit squad that every manager's pick for that first game back was their perceived best 11 or best suited team for that setup, so making so many changes immediately after highlighted to me that he'd either "lost" certain members of the dressing room or really didnt know how to set us up anymore.

To be clear, I dont blame our home performances on our fans or necessarily on the atmosphere but I think there were times we needed to take the impotus to push the team on rather than wait for something to happen on the field.

I also realise that crowds are generally reactive especially to the percieved effort (or lack of) on the pitch and if the players really dont look like they want to be there then the crowd are typically less enthusiastic - as opposed to the GJ days when it wasn't for lack of effort that we'd find ourselves a goal down, so the crowd could would rally behind them. 

21 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Sky Sports first claimed he was interested a few weeks back. No one got particularly excited about Hughton before that point if I recall correctly but it was a name many wanted.

I was excited about Hughton when he was out of work back in 2011 - I posted on here back then that we should go and get him ... then he went to Brum before his exceptional achievements with Norwich and Brighton - oh well, as always in football, it’s what ‘might have been’ ...

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I know we hear it a lot, a club coming up and keeping going due to the momentum but can this really be true with, usually, a long break for the players for holidays, transfers in and out and then pre-season before a game has even been played? Usually a break of circa 3 months (ish)? That’s a big gap  

Rather than momentum it’s probably simply just good management, decent players etc etc?

I think it's a combination of both. Winning is a habit (so can losing be, to be fair) and it breeds confidence, if a manager can tap into that and get a few early wins in the new season then momentum can absolutely play a part

It doesn't always work, as we found with Cotts and our first season in the Championship.

If it was simply good management how did Lee manage so many good runs, followed by so many bad ones? He didnt go from good to bad and back again, and he didnt just get lucky several times in a row.

12 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

122 pages in......let's face it......no one on here has a clue what's happening. All guess work. Just sit back , relax and wait for someone to be appointed.

Hmmm sit back and relax, to be honest I'm waiting for someone else to appoint Hughton before we do and watch this shoot to over 200 pages.......I will probably sit back and relax for that ?

6 minutes ago, MattyAli said:

Hmmm sit back and relax, to be honest I'm waiting for someone else to appoint Hughton before we do and watch this shoot to over 200 pages.......I will probably sit back and relax for that ?

to be honest i think the city management are waiting for some other team to hire Hughton, then they can hire a cheaper option saying we tired to hire Hughton but he had offers elsewhere... then trying to get us fans on there side.... 4 weeks and no manager in place...FFS

18 minutes ago, keflav said:

to be honest i think the city management are waiting for some other team to hire Hughton, then they can hire a cheaper option saying we tired to hire Hughton but he had offers elsewhere... then trying to get us fans on there side.... 4 weeks and no manager in place...FFS

I think all along it’s the fan base that has wanted Hughton. The club management have possibly interviewed him, but obviously not jumped to appoint him. Background chatter has always suggested they want someone younger and more “modern” whatever that is.

Fans often seem very conventional and predictable, looking for the most famous and expensive signings. 

Just now, Leveller said:

I think all along it’s the fan base that has wanted Hughton. The club management have possibly interviewed him, but obviously not jumped to appoint him. Background chatter has always suggested they want someone younger and more “modern” whatever that is.

Fans often seem very conventional and predictable, looking for the most famous and expensive signings. 

Exactly this. And happens every time. And usually the fans choice isnt a good one.

Garry Monk i think was the fans choice last time. He was over-rated and been very average at a few clubs since

54 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

122 pages in......let's face it......no one on here has a clue what's happening. All guess work. Just sit back , relax and wait for someone to be appointed.

When the white smoke rises from above the Lansdown stand this forum will go even more mental with the 'missed opportunity', 'cheap option' and 'who?' brigade coming out in force!!????

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Nope.

We’re a mess squad-wise. We need a manager with a certain gravitas to to gain respect from the players, someone who knows how to man-manage, organise a team and win promotion. We also need someone who is strong enough to take on MA and be the ultimate diplomat in dealing with The Lansdown’s. We also need a manager with a little star quality to enthuse the fans.

Personally, I’m not mega-excited by Hughton, but he ticks every box.

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Exactly this. And happens every time. And usually the fans choice isnt a good one.

Garry Monk i think was the fans choice last time. He was over-rated and been very average at a few clubs since

Yeah - it was Monk, followed by Pearson I think. Person obviously then crashed and burned at Derby the following season. 

If I'm honest, I pretty much agree with what Rob Edwards has said today:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-bristol-city-defender-calls-4370179

Not saying that means Hughton is necessarily the wrong man. Just that neither do I necessarily think he is the right one or that a manager with a lower profile is certain be the wrong appointment. 

Archived