IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

41 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think all along it’s the fan base that has wanted Hughton. The club management have possibly interviewed him, but obviously not jumped to appoint him. Background chatter has always suggested they want someone younger and more “modern” whatever that is.

Fans often seem very conventional and predictable, looking for the most famous and expensive signings. 

As it stands fans favouring the most famous candidate has a logic though. I mean we all know what Chris Hughton has achieved...we know very little about the qualities of, say, Ryan Lowe. That seems perfectly understandable. Now, as it happens, I rather like the idea of Hughton, for predictable reasons - he's achieved what we say we want to achieve, namely promotion from this division - but also less predictable ones - he seems a man of integrity and humility and character, who I think could bring this club together on and off the pitch.

What's going to be needed, whoever is appointed, is an explanation of why they have been chosen and the qualities they bring. Something clear which we can all understand and appreciate. I think a problem with the last appointment was that SL gave the impression that it was his choice, take it or leave it...he could see something in Lee, and if you couldn't that was your loss, it was his club - which might be true but didn't do much to persuade doubters.

I think it would be pity if we go down that route again. Let's have an appointment that's explained in ways we can all understand. 

Just now, Monkeh said:

So the reason is taking so long isn't the club faffing around according to some,

its because they are following the correct processes after all, we would need wigans permission to speak to cook

Or Hughton has said no, or is heading elsewhere, so now we’re on to our 3rd choice and going for Cook?

Lets be honest, none of us know. 

Id be happy with either.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

So the reason is taking so long isn't the club faffing around according to some,

its because they are following the correct processes after all, we would need wigans permission to speak to cook

Not sure about that one? though could be wrong. 
I'm sure I read somewhere managers of clubs in administration can move if they want to and also it's apparently common for managers to have a release clause if a club in a higher division come in after relegation.
But yes, we probably have done it all by the book and gentlemanly!!

On 27/07/2020 at 10:56, CodeRed said:

Interesting how we all see things differently.....I thought he had no credentials worthy of getting the job in the first place, he bigged himself up at every opportunity with his coaching psychobabble but didn't deliver on "the project" wasting millions in the process and leaving a huge squad that is unbalanced and needs overhauling despite 9 transfer windows. 4 wasted years. 

I don't see any foundations?  We have an academy that was in place and running before he joined, we have signed a lot of young players most of whom have loaned out and may or may not develop into first team players but this season we've struggled to name the mandatory minimum of one home grown player in the match day squad. 

I'm sure he tried and he cared but he wasn't up to the job and should have gone much earlier.

Indeed. The wee chap was a charlatan of the "highest" order. 

Please pardon the pun. 

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - it was Monk, followed by Pearson I think. Person obviously then crashed and burned at Derby the following season. 

If I'm honest, I pretty much agree with what Rob Edwards has said today:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-bristol-city-defender-calls-4370179

Not saying that means Hughton is necessarily the wrong man. Just that neither do I necessarily think he is the right one or that a manager with a lower profile is certain be the wrong appointment. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if City played a high press and attacking football, and I'd also love us to poach Thomas Frank or find someone similar, but I find "attacking, modern coach" to be a bit of a platitude. There will be plenty of modern coaches that lack some of the key man-management skills, for example, or attacking-minded coaches that don't understand the tactical nuance needed to win top end Championship games.

We need the right man. 

By the way, can we double Frank's wages if Brentford don't go up?

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

And there you have it, modern media isn't about finding stories and reporting on them, it's about keeping sponsors happy and generating add revenue, its just another arm of a big businesses marketing department 

Apart from the BBC. That’s why I generally still trust it the most. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - it was Monk, followed by Pearson I think. Person obviously then crashed and burned at Derby the following season. 

If I'm honest, I pretty much agree with what Rob Edwards has said today:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-bristol-city-defender-calls-4370179

Not saying that means Hughton is necessarily the wrong man. Just that neither do I necessarily think he is the right one or that a manager with a lower profile is certain be the wrong appointment. 

This is what i am hoping for. Never heard of Frank for example, but look what he’s done at Brentford.

I’d never heard of Bielsa before he went to Leeds either.

Ive nothing against Chris Hughton and i would be very excited if he become manager. I just don’t think he’ll fit into what the club want.

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This is what i am hoping for. Never heard of Frank for example, but look what he’s done at Brentford.

I’d never heard of Bielsa before he went to Leeds either.

Ive nothing against Chris Hughton and i would be very excited if he become manager. I just don’t think he’ll fit into what the club want.

I'd not heard of Bielsa either but we should be a tad embarrassed about that because he was highly regarded worldwide 

I sense the general feeling in this thread is people becoming more open minded regarding "not a big name" appointment. Acknowledging that many of the managers who made the top 6 for the last few years have rarely been "big names" and were perhaps unproven at this level. 

CH would be a "safe bet" but I do wonder if his best years are behind him, same with Nigel Adkins that has been rumoured. If everyone just went for people who had done it before, nothing would ever progress. Let's get someone who fits the philosophies of the club, and is a winner (no matter the league).

14 hours ago, Riaz said:

Exactly this. And happens every time. And usually the fans choice isnt a good one.

Garry Monk i think was the fans choice last time. He was over-rated and been very average at a few clubs since

I remember the fans choice once was John Ward

Archived