IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

14 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

I'm speculating... perhaps the drawbacks are the cost of appointing Hughton (and his team) and also that SL really wants a long term appointment and maybe does not see Hughton as in the mould ..

Maybe. I don’t think cost comes into it if the club is seriously considering paying Neil’s £3m buyout, that could cover Hughton’s salary for almost three years. If cost is a problem, we simply sell some high earners (Diedhiou will likely be one who leaves anyway this summer) and reallocate those funds to Hughton. 

The days of a long-term appointment are sadly gone. Howe and Dyche, the second and third longest-serving managers are likely to leave this summer. SL should get with the times and appoint the best manager available to get us into the PL, if that’s what he wants. 

4 hours ago, tin said:

Maybe. I don’t think cost comes into it if the club is seriously considering paying Neil’s £3m buyout, that could cover Hughton’s salary for almost three years. If cost is a problem, we simply sell some high earners (Diedhiou will likely be one who leaves anyway this summer) and reallocate those funds to Hughton. 

The days of a long-term appointment are sadly gone. Howe and Dyche, the second and third longest-serving managers are likely to leave this summer. SL should get with the times and appoint the best manager available to get us into the PL, if that’s what he wants. 

@Coppello would compensation for a manager be split over the term of the contract, like it would be for a player?  Ta.

If so, the £2-3m buyout over a 3yr contract becomes much more feasible.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello would compensation for a manager be split over the term of the contract, like it would be for a player?  Ta.

If so, the £2-3m buyout over a 3yr contract becomes much more feasible.

Feasible or not, it’s still a sum the club has to pay when a more proven candidate is available for free.

So questions should be asked if they do pay it for Neil as the cost of getting Hughton would’ve been affordable and much more viable. 

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I will remember Chris Hughton,

When (Cook sets us up all wrong and) we lose again at Luton,

And crumble post Christmas, again, like a (crumbly) crouton,

Whilst sat on my futon (turning instead to the philosophy of Roger Scruton).

I’ll go with the first two lines.

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I will remember Chris Hughton,

When (Cook sets us up all wrong and) we lose again at Luton,

And crumble post Christmas, again, like a (crumbly) crouton,

Whilst sat on my futon (turning instead to the philosophy of Roger Scruton).

Been waiting years on here for something erudite like this

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not that it means much;

Hughton out to 3/1...again.

Neil now 7/1.

Cook 8/13 favourite after his resignation officially ratified.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/bristol-city/next-permanent-manager

Definitely right it doesn't mean much considering they're still offering odds for 2 managers, Karanka and Harry Kewell, who have both landed other jobs this week.

Cotts looks interesting at 80/1.

28 minutes ago, tin said:

Feasible or not, it’s still a sum the club has to pay when a more proven candidate is available for free.

So questions should be asked if they do pay it for Neil as the cost of getting Hughton would’ve been affordable and much more viable. 

Say its an initial 3 year contract, the rumour is Hughton wanted ~20k a week, lets say Neil would start on similar to what LJ was on when he left. The difference is almost £500,000 per year in salary, so £3m release clause is effectively £1.5m more if you count the difference in wages paid. Next backroom staff, Neil knows Holden, has no real assistant to bring with him (according to PNE website he operates with 1st team coaches rather than assistant) whereas Hughton could want to bring his whole backroom staff at additional cost and could eat a fair chunk out of that £1.5m left, if he brings 1 person over you'd guess they'd be on half what Hughton is on so potentially another £500,000 out for Lawrence if he joined so £1m left. 

So the question is would Chris Hughton spend more than £1m more than Alex Neil as manager? I'd guess yes, so in reality Hughton isn't more affordable than Neil even with the release clause 

Archived