IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

When have you ever seen the club responding to media speculation? It happens incredibly rarely and there’s little point doing it now I’d say, considering where we’re at in the process of appointing a new manager

In corporate PR, not everything goes through the official channels.

Controlling the narrative is important, particularly when you're trying to sell tickets and merch.

26 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Nothing makes us different and the club have no obligation to tell us ‘what is going on’. My point was that, given the groundswell for Hughton, the club could have done more to manage expectations if it is not going to be him. @LondonBristolianmakes a good point that maybe they HAVE been doing just that but it was (evidently) too subtle for me. 

Just clarify for us how you manage expectations without telling anybody what is going on? Hinting in any way who is being interviewed (or not) would be incredibly unprofessional.

7 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Tell us why on earth there seems to be no actual plan as to who we want and why other clubs have sacked managers after LJ yet have appointed a manager sooner than us? It's a shambles this process, pre-season starts in a week and we don't even have a manager let alone any new players.

Here you go @Southport Red

Exhibit A...... 

Just now, Leveller said:

Just clarify for us how you manage expectations without telling anybody what is going on? Hinting in any way who is being interviewed (or not) would be incredibly unprofessional.

The press. Easy. Standard process.

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

What’s amateur about this situation? The club are choosing the next manager, which is perhaps taking longer than we expected, and will announce something, you’d presume, in the next few days. That’s not amateur in the slightest, that’s just how things work in football. Any ‘update’ would just tell us what we know already, that the club are working towards appointing a new manager, so that would be pointless.

totally agree.

Sorry to say I’m not 18, and haven’t been for a fair while.

he’s 18 3/4s ???

Although what that has to do with this I’ve got no idea. We’re all paying customers of the club, and have all put lots of time and money into supporting the club over the years. That doesn’t mean we’re entitled to something that doesn’t happen at any other club when they’re appointing a new manager. No point throwing your toys out of the pram over something you can’t control 

8 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

This is what puzzles me too Phileas. The club are usually so good at this sort of thing. Just find it curious why not this time. . At the start, Ashton did fan the flames a bit, but gone very quiet since. Just curious as to why. 

My gut feel is that interviews have unearthed more questions and challenges and a decision isn’t / wasn’t as simple as they thought.  Challenges might be other vacancies.  I’m speculating.  But we know City don’t air their laundry in public, so I’m not sure why we’d expect different now?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is that interviews have unearthed more questions and challenges and a decision isn’t / wasn’t as simple as they thought.  Challenges might be other vacancies.  I’m speculating.  But we know City don’t air their laundry in public, so I’m not sure why we’d expect different now?

18 and 4/5ths I’ll have you know ??

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It could easily be a case of... 

Hughton is available & interested

Arrange an interview

At interview, Hughton says he'd love the job, BUT, doesn't want to faff around blooding youngsters and would like a war chest of £30million to sign his list of target players. 

We would like Hughton, would be happy to pay his reported salary, but simply don't have that kind of money to risk, whilst also changing the structure of our own project. 

NOBODY KNOWS...! 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s bang on Dave. I’d rather we took a little longer and got Paul Cook than rushed things and got Dean Saunders. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They’re also very used to the “model” “project” etc. 
It might be that those interviewed have challenged it or been unable to work with it.... maybe Lee was the only person who would work in that way. 
Mark Ashton: “so Chris/Eddie/Juergen/Gerrard/Cook/etc the project (insert loads of management guff) is that we buy you players who you may or may not want, then any of those players who are good, we sell them. All you’ve got to do is get us promoted. Simple. Any questions?”

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It could easily be a case of... 

Hughton is available & interested

Arrange an interview

At interview, Hughton says he'd love the job, BUT, doesn't want to faff around blooding youngsters and would like a war chest of £30million to sign his list of target players. 

We would like Hughton, would be happy to pay his reported salary, but simply don't have that kind of money to risk, whilst also changing the structure of our own project. 

NOBODY KNOWS...! 

I imagine this is pretty close to the truth. Apparently one of the reasons for him losing his job at Brighton was because he was reluctant to play some of their promising youngsters. 

I'd be surprised if it was Hughton now we would have appointed him weeks ago surely. 

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

A project that isn't working...

Or hasn't been managed properly???

I'd say the latter,,so - "as you were".

Has it not been working..? 

I thought we'd vast profits on player trading over the past 3 years, whilst maintaining a reasonable status quo in league standing. 

Now we need to try and push on beyond that. 

Seems like the project is going fairly well. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Has it not been working..? 

I thought we'd vast profits on player trading over the past 3 years, whilst maintaining a reasonable status quo in league standing. 

Now we need to try and push on beyond that. 

Seems like the project is going fairly well. 

Please don't say things like this, it's far too positive. Get into the negative groove man.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Perhaps they did and the children ignored them?

What those who say "they could have leaked things via Gregor so people knew it might be Hughton" ignore is that.

1) Gregor MacGregor told everyone Gerrard, not Hughton was the favourite.

2) When some of the national press described Hughton as a done deal, MacGregor made clear no deal had been agreed. 

3) MacGregor has told the fans the club have a number of candidates they are choosing from and it won't just be Hughton.

4) MacGregor floated the idea that Cook, Neil and Holden were all in the fix, suggesting it might not be Hugthon.

It strikes me that REPEATEDLY during the last four weeks, MacGregor has reported in information he has been given suggesting Hughton will not be the manager. So perhaps the club were leaking via MacGregor the whole time to manage expectations and supporters have simply refused to allow their expectations to be managed?

He has and has certainly contradicted what other media outlets have been saying, so let’s hope he’s got the inside line.

My main concern is that if we appoint someone other than CH, we later find out he was never seriously in the running anyway.

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

It might be that those interviewed have challenged it or been unable to work with it.... maybe Lee was the only person who would work in that way. 
Mark Ashton: “so Chris/Eddie/Juergen/Gerrard/Cook/etc the project (insert loads of management guff) is that we buy you players who you may or may not want, then any of those players who are good, we sell them. All you’ve got to do is get us promoted. Simple. Any questions?”

My two takeaways from this are:-

1. They are trying to persuade Lee to come back. ?

2. They are about to sack Mark Ashton. ?

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

At what point does the lack of a new manager become negligence by the board ?

Appreciate the need to get the decision right but it's been 5 weeks and pre season starts in 1 week!

Have Watford and Bournemouth appointed yet?

Very close to the truth. We will not deviate from the current structure. All we want is a puppet on a string. Ashton to deal with recruitment, the coach doesn’t decide who they want. Hughton is interested in job but not with No say on who he can bring in. Anyone who takes the job will have to work with the current structure, which in all fairness to Lee, caused his demise. Selling Brownhill in January without a suitable replacement was never going to work.

25 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

My two takeaways from this are:-

1. They are trying to persuade Lee to come back. ?

2. They are about to sack Mark Ashton. ?

Have Watford and Bournemouth appointed yet?

Well bournmouth only sacked their manager 48 hours ago and Watford 2 weeks ago so think I might cut them a little more slack.

Both those clubs will need to get a move on too 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

I actually don't think Hughton is the right man for the job and given the amount of time the Board is taking to make the decision, they're not sure he is either.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

He has and has certainly contradicted what other media outlets have been saying, so let’s hope he’s got the inside line.

My main concern is that if we appoint someone other than CH, we later find out he was never seriously in the running anyway.

Yes, I really do think the BP have as good a set of sources as possible given that club isn’t leaking anything.

12 minutes ago, Dibdenred said:

Very close to the truth. We will not deviate from the current structure. All we want is a puppet on a string. Ashton to deal with recruitment, the coach doesn’t decide who they want. Hughton is interested in job but not with No say on who he can bring in. Anyone who takes the job will have to work with the current structure, which in all fairness to Lee, caused his demise. Selling Brownhill in January without a suitable replacement was never going to work.

This is exactly what I think is going on too.  City want Hughton, Hughton would like City, but both are way apart in agreeing a suitable working model.  Either some form of compromise or acceptance from either party happens, or Hughton isn’t coming.

I think any discussion around this happened back end of last week / the weekend, and it’s either announce Hughton or plan B, C, D.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

I imagine this is pretty close to the truth. Apparently one of the reasons for him losing his job at Brighton was because he was reluctant to play some of their promising youngsters. 

I'd be surprised if it was Hughton now we would have appointed him weeks ago surely. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case because he only uses youngsters at the right time.. I've watched a few of his interviews and every club has a different position on giving younger players the chance, For instance If Brighton are fighting to stay in prem league then those younger players wouldn't be used or put in a position that ruins there confidence and also the squad would need experience, Then once Brighton are established then is the time to give bring them on.

It's not the case of not wanting to use younger players it's a the matter of the right time and the club's position.

2 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

At what point does the lack of a new manager become negligence by the board ?

Appreciate the need to get the decision right but it's been 5 weeks and pre season starts in 1 week!

A message to ‘The Humble Realist’. 
If you wish to live up to your user name, please be realistic and, as I’m about to correct you, please remain humble. 

It’s not been 5 weeks. 
It’s been 4 weeks and nearly 2 days. 
Your statement implies 35 days, when it’ll be 30 days by this evening. 
You have therefore increased the time elapsed by over 16%. 

Sorry to correct you. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think he may well struggle to get us promoted. The championship is better now than ever before. 

This job for Hughton will be much harder than Brighton or Newcastle jobs.

He's actually quite far down my list. I think there's other managers who suit us better than Hughton.

Yeah a good point. I was referring to the difference in teams as well and the quality of players that has to be factored in when you compare his teams to ours. There are so many other factors to take in to consideration too that just because he's had success before doesn't mean it's guaranteed here with us.

I think a few fans think, Hughton, and we are automatically promoted and it's nailed on. 

I'm not saying Hughton wouldn't be a good choice but once again fans have got completely carried away and are unlikely to accept any other manager.

We have too many fans that live in Football Manager fantasy land.

Archived