IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What are you actually expecting them to say? What club actually comments on an ongoing managerial recruitment process? 

What club takes nearly 5 weeks to appoint a successor when numerous realistic candidates are readily available?

A simple statement acknowledging fans concerns and offering reassurance that the process remains ongoing, with every intention to appoint the right candidate to take the club forwards, wouldn’t be inappropriate.

I know you’ll say that’s obvious, but after such a long time I would argue a simple acknowledgement is better than continuing to say nothing.

7 minutes ago, daored said:

Don’t think it’s unlikely based on the squad they’ve got , plus if board believe he’s underachieved 

To reach a playoff final in your first season in management and get sacked would be ludicrous. They deserve to crash and burn if they do sack him.  

17 minutes ago, !james said:

I expect Mr Hughton is hoping Fulham lose tomorrow night... 

In which case Parker becomes yet another candidate for us and we have to go through the whole six stage process with him which should take us into next week.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

What club takes nearly 5 weeks to appoint a successor when numerous realistic candidates are readily available?

A simple statement acknowledging fans concerns and offering reassurance that the process remains ongoing, with every intention to appoint the right candidate to take the club forwards, wouldn’t be inappropriate.

I know you’ll say that’s obvious, but after such a long time I would argue a simple acknowledgement is better than continuing to say nothing.

I agree it’s an unusually long time but I still don’t expect them to comment on an active recruitment process. 

What good is a statement that effectively says ‘we know you’re pissed off but there’s nothing to tell you’. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I agree it’s an unusually long time but I still don’t expect them to comment on an active recruitment process. 

What good is a statement that effectively says ‘we know you’re pissed off but there’s nothing to tell you’. 

It’s not a biggie and I can see both sides, so let’s agree to disagree - on balance, I think a short statement is in order given the length of time.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Should've really finished top 2 with the squad he had at his disposal. Not winning promotion would be considered as failure and I could see them wanting a change. 

So are you suggesting that we could have to wait and see what plays out with Fulham before we get our man? 

I'm praying the hold up is over the specifics of backroom staffing, wages, targets, transfer protocol etc. Either way, there's no way the board had this length of time as the timeline they wanted. Preseason starts in 7 days right? Players like Korey are in limbo!

I know that overall it is not a decision to rush for the sake of a couple of days, but goodness me it's frustrating!

And @Red_Alligator I am very disappointed after your personal reassurances! ?

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not a biggie and I can see both sides, so let’s agree to disagree - on balance, I think a short statement is in order given the length of time.

I'll go further and say weekly informal statements, at least for the past fortnight and beyond.

Fans are stakeholders, and valued customers and the club need to do good PR for its own sake.

I personally think Jon Lansdown has missed a trick with his Twitter account. It's a great tool to pass messages on in a brief and controlled way. He used it once and just managed to stir up expectations, but I think he should have been dropping the occasional one liner such as: No stone unturned to find the right man. Will take more time or Progress made this week. Good conversations but not there yet.

It just stops the frustration levels creeping up, particularly as we all know the negative consequences. It also makes fans feel part of the process.

9 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

So are you suggesting that we could have to wait and see what plays out with Fulham before we get our man? 

Based on what I think I know, it's a theory.

Given it seems we're highly unlikely to appoint anyone before tomorrow night's game, but highly likely to appoint someone by the end of the week (as training restarts next week), it's either a coincidence, or there is indeed something riding on the game for us. 

I'm starting to think it's the latter.

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem with doing that is it’s basically firing a distress flare. It’s an unspoken acknowledgment of what is plainly obvious, things haven’t gone to plan.

Not saying yourself but some of the dummy spitting is downright embarrassing. The concept that those people will be appeased by the club basically admitting it’s floundering is nonsensical.

Say they come out tomorrow with a statement along the lines of ‘We continue our search etc’, how’s that going to look when they appoint Holden on Thursday. By saying nothing, though everyone will see through it, they can at least claim at unveiling that x was ‘always their man’ or some spiel. 

Im absolutely not ‘in the know’ but the situation seems pretty clear. We wanted Gerrard. Hughton was our fallback. For whatever reason talks with him didn’t go ideally. We’ve moved on to looking at other options which present a better ‘fit’ and will weigh up Hughton vs the rest, which I assume is what is happening now. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’re somewhere around plan C/D. 

We cannot go into next week without someone in place so it’s too late for any communication bar an appointment.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Given it seems we're highly unlikely to appoint anyone before tomorrow night's game, but highly likely to appoint someone by the end of the week (as training restarts next week), it's either a coincidence, or there is indeed something riding on the game for us. 

So in summary:

My sources, theoretically, tell me we may (or may not) likely appoint someone soon. Then again maybe not

Cheers for the inside info

There’s either going to have to be some sort of super announcement, like Hughton + 3 players already signed, or I think the club have massively ballsed this up. 

Tinnion and Jon Lansdown’s weekend tweets suggest a level of confidence that I don’t think could be attributed or justified to any manager that isn’t going to excite the majority of the fan base. 

Something better be cooking, and imminently. To hinder ourselves like this in the time it’ll take a new manager to get to know his side and make the inevitable necessary additions, is incredibly short sighted, and I struggle to believe the club have been this blinkered in their approach.

I’m all for due diligence, but not at any cost. Without a pre season, the new manager is going to take 5 matches of the new season to know which way is up. 

The longer it goes on, the more concerned I’m getting that this is a becoming a massive balls up. What else explains the wait?

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We’re all Fulham then ain’t we ?

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think thats a bit of a leap tbh.

Its much more likely the club will move to appoint someone other than Hughton (if they're not able to reach agreement with him) and that person looks increasingly likely to be Holden imo due to the lack of time now available and due to the fact he knows and accepts the constraints of the job - recruitment etc etc. Another leap, but more likely imo.

I just have the feeling that if the club sticks to its current processes regarding recruitment, selling players, and promoting academy players, they'll find it difficult to get anyone through the door. They have to compromise - maybe they have, I don't know, but given the time this is taken, I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

There’s either going to have to be some sort of super announcement, like Hughton + 3 players already signed, or I think the club have massively ballsed this up. 

Tinnion and Jon Lansdown’s weekend tweets suggest a level of confidence that I don’t think could be attributed or justified to any manager that isn’t going to excite the majority of the fan base. 

Something better be cooking, and imminently. To hinder ourselves like this in the time it’ll take a new manager to get to know his side and make the inevitable necessary additions, is incredibly short sighted, and I struggle to believe the club have been this blinkered in their approach.

I’m all for due diligence, but not at any cost. Without a pre season, the new manager is going to take 5 matches of the new season to know which way is up. 

The longer it goes on, the more concerned I’m getting that this is a becoming a massive balls up. What else explains the wait?

Regarding JL and Tinns tweets, do we actually think Tinnion would be privvy to who the new manager will be? 

2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Pretty much agree with all you say , this is now not funny but concerning, have said before that if this ends up anywhere near Holden then a lot of people including this life time fan will wash my hands of them , it would  be an incredible balls up, a lengthy one and a costly one 

4 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Regarding JL and Tinns tweets, do we actually think Tinnion would be privvy to who the new manager will be? 

He’s not going to be in the interview room, no. But he’s an employee of the club and has been for the last how ever many decades.

I don’t get any of my juicy information at work from my boss, I get it from the guy in the workshop or the cleaners!

Fail to believe there aren’t BCFC employees that won’t know more than those inside the boardroom would like them to

Archived