IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

5 hours ago, eastonboy said:

Thank **** for that.

So, how many promotions out of the championship have you achieved?

None you say?

Eastend out, someone get the banners up :(

I’ve watched a couple of promotions from the stands and saw Leicester win the PL on the TV once.

I’ve also seen Tommy Rowe in Asda before and I said hello to him. I think he really liked me in all fairness. I promise to not spend millions and I’ll take £500 a week wages!

No brainer for Mr Lansdown surely?

16 hours ago, italian dave said:

Oh, on that I think you may well be right. 

My personal view (and it's entirely conjecture) is that the events behind LJs departure weren't miles different from Cotterills. Both around Lansdown's stated strategy as a selling club: Cotterill wouldn't sell, Johnson felt he had the rug pulled out over Webster and Brownhill. 

I doubt SL's strategy has changed and that may well be a problem for potential managers. But I'm also sure that's because SL thinks its the right strategy - and to be fair - as is often forgotten - we're in a better place now in almost every respect (financial, facilities, status) than we have been for many many years. That's why he'll think he's right.

I think there is a good likelihood that this summarises the current situation and these managers all know each other well of course, thus there could have a been some sounding out done which may have produced responses of “you sure you want that job mate ?” and even worse anti-us comments.

On CH specifically (I’m very much CH in although I am open to the potentials of other rumoured applicants) but there are it seems to me some odd statements appearing latterly e.g. CH does not guarantee promotion / appointing CH would show ambition and we would be seen to be trying / he’s the right one to take us forward.  I doubt Dean Smith was appointed without gaining promotion not being first on the agenda (yes Villa are a bigger club but it’s the principle) and if CH is being considered by Watford and Bournemouth are they saying “we think you are the right person to just take us forward”

If Hughton does still come here, they gotta back him, let him do his thing & step back. No point appointing him but giving a load of weird restrictions, you aren’t actually getting CH then. Externally yes, but it would be setup to fail from the start and DH would make more sense in that regard. 

8 minutes ago, Nugget said:

If Hughton does still come here, they gotta back him, let him do his thing & step back. No point appointing him but giving a load of weird restrictions, you aren’t actually getting CH then. Externally yes, but it would be setup to fail from the start and DH would make more sense in that regard. 

Great point. If Holden is appointed and should it not work then there’s compelling evidence that the system/project/model at City needs adjusting/binning. 

Hughton is a manager and would have to be allowed to manage all matters football. It’s probably just a slight tweak to the structure - handing over the recruitment team to him with Ashton just picking up the money side of things once players are identified. The big change that would lead to is that it would see us sign players for immediate footballing success not long-term profit on “trading”..... not sure the club would be able to work in that way. 

I think that’s the crux of our current conundrum - most fans want footballing success whilst the business is far more about trading and trying to break even.

The challenge is how much you are prepared to gamble on footballing success to hopefully also achieve financial success.... now with the added fun of FFP. 

For me, sport is about taking chances and, again, for me City often play it a little too safe which is why in terms of footballing success we’ve gone nowhere in 30+ years. 

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Great point. If Holden is appointed and should it not work then there’s compelling evidence that the system/project/model at City needs adjusting/binning. 

Hughton is a manager and would have to be allowed to manage all matters football. It’s probably just a slight tweak to the structure - handing over the recruitment team to him with Ashton just picking up the money side of things once players are identified. The big change that would lead to is that it would see us sign players for immediate footballing success not long-term profit on “trading”..... not sure the club would be able to work in that way. 

I was about to post something similar (and have done previously).

I'm guessing the delay is exactly that - the implications of changing the structure and working out if it can/should be done. I would think Ashton would be dead set against it whilst others maybe not so much. I've not given up on the prospect of Hughton being appointed but it may come down to that compromise with the structure.

All guesswork, but In the complete absence of any communication from the club, guesswork is all we have.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I was about to post something similar (and have done previously).

I'm guessing the delay is exactly that - the implications of changing the structure and working out if it can/should be done. I would think Ashton would be dead set against it whilst others maybe not so much. I've not given up on the prospect of Hughton being appointed but it may come down to that compromise with the structure.

All guesswork, but In the complete absence of any communication from the club, guesswork is all we have.

It might be quite a traumatic time within the club.... it’s been a happy ship for 4 years assuming their plan is the right one. Maybe the outside world has told them otherwise. There could be noses out of joint, jobs on the line... or maybe nothing! It’s all conjecture but to assume things have gone to plan is clearly unlikely to be the case! 

18 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I think that’s the crux of our current conundrum - most fans want footballing success whilst the business is far more about trading and trying to break even.

The challenge is how much you are prepared to gamble on footballing success to hopefully also achieve financial success.... now with the added fun of FFP. 

For me, sport is about taking chances and, again, for me City often play it a little too safe which is why in terms of footballing success we’ve gone nowhere in 30+ years. 

If DH gets the job and it doesn't work, then Lansdown has just taken us round in circles for the last 20 years. Something will have to give surely.

6 minutes ago, sludge said:

If DH gets the job and it doesn't work, then Lansdown has just taken us round in circles for the last 20 years. Something will have to give surely.

You’re right, we haven’t progressed at all! Except for being 1 division up.

And being established in the champ.

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

And the state of the art training facilities.

Oh also the general improvement of Bristol sport.

But what has he done for us lately!

2 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

Nothing on the pitch then??

11 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

OK I'll put it another way, if DH is appointed and it doesn't work out then the current management strategy/structure/philosophy will have appeared to have hit a glass ceiling....

1 minute ago, sludge said:

OK I'll put it another way, if DH is appointed and it doesn't work out then the current management strategy/structure/philosophy will have appeared to have hit a glass ceiling....

It’s already hit it and smashed it to pieces!

Archived