IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

It’s already hit it and smashed it to pieces!

You're probably be right, but I think there will still be sections of the fan base who shrug their shoulders and say - OK let's wait and see how this (DH) pans out.

Not sure there'll be many of those left next time....

15 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

You’re right, we haven’t progressed at all! Except for being 1 division up.

And being established in the champ.

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

And the state of the art training facilities.

Oh also the general improvement of Bristol sport.

But what has he done for us lately!

As I’ve said on a previous thread - having new shiny infrastructure is all well and good but when you don’t invest in quite possibly the most important role at the football club (the manager) you will never truly progress.

7 minutes ago, sludge said:

OK I'll put it another way, if DH is appointed and it doesn't work out then the current management strategy/structure/philosophy will have appeared to have hit a glass ceiling....

No, because then we will go into a six week review and appoint Jamie Mac. Simples. 

4 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

It’s already hit it and smashed it to pieces!

That would mean that the ceiling is no more ? 

I’m not sure you’ve quite grasped this analogy. 

17 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Nothing on the pitch then??

Well... there’s a much better pitch. Half grass half artificial. The balls are much better. Oh and players who are an absolute fk load better than 20 years ago

16 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

I buy all that....but 'buying' is what SL has done well, in my opinion...not 'building'. If I'm a very, very rich man, as SL is, buying a new ground or a new training facility is more or less as straightforward as selling the assets and hiring a project manager...and it happens eventually.

Building a football club is a bit different, considerably harder, involves lots of tough choices, is a dynamic ever-changing process and money spent isn't enough. I agree that 20 years ago we were a division below, but we've been back there in that 20 years, as a result of really poor management of the club. If we look back 10 years we finished 10th in the Championship, this year we're 12th. 

I think we're at a crossroads. The next managerial appointment gives an indication of the path ahead. I fear we're just going around and around in circles.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

As I’ve said on a previous thread - having new shiny infrastructure is all well and good but when you don’t invest in quite possibly the most important role at the football club (the manager) you will never truly progress.

Agreed, but there’s a difference in saying that this appointment has been a fk up, and saying Lansdown has done nothing for 20 years. 

24 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Also the new ground.

Plus the academy.

Lansdown is showing that he's great at building a business, but he lacks understanding of what is needed to build a successful sports team.

18 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

That would mean that the ceiling is no more ? 

I’m not sure you’ve quite grasped this analogy. 

Well... there’s a much better pitch. Half grass half artificial. The balls are much better. Oh and players who are an absolute fk load better than 20 years ago

But the football is shite!!

Dont give a **** about the analogy, what I said is still correct.

14 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

But the football is shite!!

Dont give a **** about the analogy, what I said is still correct.

Well no, it isn't. 

We haven't "gone around in circles" when we are demonstrably better off in several areas, which Notbarrymanc already listed.

On the pitch we are not just a division higher, but we are also now established in the higher division.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no, it isn't. 

We haven't "gone around in circles" when we are demonstrably better off in several areas, which Notbarrymanc already listed.

On the pitch we are not just a division higher, but we are also now established in the higher division.

I think it can be argued that we have gone round in circles as far as 'on the pitch' is concerned. We have been a mid-table championship team under Lansdown's ownership before (under Gary Johnson etc).

Happy if you don't agree with me though ?

28 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no, it isn't. 

We'd have thought ourselves established, or at the very least well on the way to being established, 10 years ago. I certainly did! The talk was all of going one step further.

What happened next was a bit of a fiasco. I'm not keen to see it repeated.

What I mean by going around in circles relates to our performances on the pitch, not the infrastructure built off it. But as it happens I sit in precisely the same red plastic bucket seat in the Dolman as I did a decade ago.

26 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no, it isn't. 

‘Established’ can change very quickly.

We finished 12th last season, if it wasn’t for the caretakers late couple of wins that could have been 15th-16th possibly. No one should believe we couldn’t be in the bottom third this season. But an experienced manager with know how,can make a big difference.

20 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

We'd have thought ourselves established, or at the very least well on the way to being established, 10 years ago. I certainly did! The talk was all of going one step further.

What I mean by going around in circles relates to our performances on the pitch, not the infrastructure built off it. But as it happens I sit in precisely the same red plastic bucket seat in the Dolman as I did a decade ago.

Agreed. Ipswich were 'established' in the Championship not so long ago...

37 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no, it isn't. 

Hang on, there’s been a couple of relegations along the way.

And I will repeat the football is shite.

Large periods of games where we can’t string two passes together.

16 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

This is it.... people are blurring football success and the way the business is evolving. 

The whole manager conversation is, by definition, about football success or failure.

Oh and I’m with you, as a football supporter, I’ve seen little progress - I too sit in the same Dolman seat.... still watch tier 2 or 3 football and the match day experience feels very similar - other than lately the home performances and form have been as bad as I can recall. 

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

On twitter today, Gregor has said that Hughton has always been interested, any holdup is on City’s side.

This can only be down to structure or budget. 

Maybe the hold up is to make the changes required or make the numbers work to take on Hughton in the capacity he wants? If so, I'm glad it's not a rushed decision.

I dont think Gregor knows a lot though so take it with a pinch of salt.

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

On twitter today, Gregor has said that Hughton has always been interested, any holdup is on City’s side.

This can only be down to structure or budget. 

Which is positive news in a way, but what we've suspected all along.

Hoping they make the ambitious call.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Maybe the hold up is to make the changes required or make the numbers work to take on Hughton in the capacity he wants? If so, I'm glad it's not a rushed decision.

I dont think Gregor knows a lot though so take it with a pinch of salt.

I think he would report it if SL has a big shit, he feels soooo important atm!

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Desperately clutching at straws, but could be a new kit announcement?

I'd say that's probably more likely. Surely they'd be self aware enough to realise that a high profile 'reveal' of Dean Holden using the roof would go down like a lead balloon.. Then again, this is City's awful media team so I absolutely wouldn't put it past them.

Archived