IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

10 years ago we had a bit of a freak season and drifted down the league slowly (and then not so slowly) in the following seasons.

This time around we have done the opposite, until this season.

A bit of what is below also applies in my response to you.

You are of course, welcome to disagree, but expanding on my point for why we haven't gone in circles.

See above.

The other crucial difference is that because our academy now isn't just essentially there in name only, we have far better prospects coming through who can be added to our squad if needed.

We have a squad that is one the whole, younger than last time, so we should see some of these players develop and improve with us. A number of the players with us now are approaching their prime years, last time it was more the opposite. 

Are we immune from relegation because we are established? Absolutely not. But on and off the pitch we are far better than the last time we were a Championship club.

That's all fair comment James...all I was trying to say was that is you'd stopped most of us 10 years ago and asked where we thought City were at that point you'd have heard people saying that we'd got to the play offs in 2008, been battling to get into the play offs but just missed out in 2009 and, despite having ditched GJ on the way, recovered in 2010 with a squad which felt ok for the Championship to finish 10th. 

And on the eve of the start of the 2010/11 season we'd appointed Steve Coppell and signed the England goalkeeper.

If you'd introduced yourself as a visitor from the future and revealed that 10 years later we'd have been through a relegation, not troubled the play offs again, and finished two places lower, it would have been a bit of a deflating conversation! Feels - to me at least - that we've been this way before without a real deal of progress on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

‘Established’ can change very quickly.

We finished 12th last season, if it wasn’t for the caretakers late couple of wins that could have been 15th-16th possibly. No one should believe we couldn’t be in the bottom third this season. But an experienced manager with know how,can make a big difference.

we could have finished better or worse without the sacking of LJ. It is frankly useless to speculate.

Holden's wins were against an abject Hull side, and a poor Middlesbrough side, though we played very well in the Boro game.

It is entirely possible (and pretty likely) we'd have got the same points from the last games under LJ. 

It is also possible the Hull and Boro games would have been won and then LJ has the team playing better as their confidence is up and we get more points from the final games.

Equally it is also possible we'd have lost the lot.

The entire bolded section of you post means absolutely nothing.

The bit I have italicised I agree with, that however doesn't mean it should be considered a likely scenario or the expected scenario either.

There is a thing called the middle ground.

We do not, and have not at any point since promotion, have one of the best 6 squads in this division.

We also do not have one of the worst three squads in this division, but one that is somewhere in the remaining 15, I personally believe it is nearer the top of those middle 15. A squad that *could* reach the playoffs if it had a good season while some better sides had a poor season.

It also *could* finish in the bottom half or even bottom third if we had a poor season and a few others had a decent one.

With the news that Jamie McAllister has left us, what I was told a few days ago could be true.

They said they'd heard that Hughton is going to be our Manager, contracts all done and dusted, and is looking for a house in Bristol. Holden is away on holiday at the moment once he's back Hughton will be announced.

But I have my doubts as why delay the announcement, but I hope it comes through. Just thought I'd pass on what I'd heard.

1 hour ago, jimross2005 said:

With the news that Jamie McAllister has left us, what I was told a few days ago could be true.

They said they'd heard that Hughton is going to be our Manager, contracts all done and dusted, and is looking for a house in Bristol. Holden is away on holiday at the moment once he's back Hughton will be announced.

But I have my doubts as why delay the announcement, but I hope it comes through. Just thought I'd pass on what I'd heard.

This is my understanding from what I'm hearing as well. But then again.....

Archived