IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Really good post.

Someone said elsewhere the 4 managers that made the playoffs in the end were Parker, Harris, Cooper & Frank.

If we had appointed any of those last summer I reckon 90% of the responses on here would be negative ones and in Harris’s case, probably nearer to 99%.

It may well be that Hughton isn’t coming, if so we will never know the true reason but it is also the case that although his CV is undoubtedly the most impressive of anyone linked (though I’d argue Mick McCarthy, who very few seemingly want & doesn’t appear to interest us, isn’t that far behind) that doesn’t guarantee he would either be successful or the right fit for us.

I think your post points to the bit of unknown we fans don’t know....and that’s why we can have our perceived no1 choices, but we don’t know if they’re the clubs no1.

If there was an official job advert, we could tick and cross each requirement and evaluate from there.

I’m certainly getting the feeling that if we’ve interviewed Hughton and not appointed him it’s because either he’s keeping us waiting, or he hasn’t quite met what we want.  I suspect it’s a case that he doesn’t quite fit.  So I start leaning towards someone like a Cook or a Neil.

I just want it done by Friday.  I think they will have had enough time by then.

3 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Live near Watford lot of rumours here that he's gonna be there next manager. 

With the time we are taking and Watfords record with managers he could be Watfords manager, get the sack, and be back on our radar before we appoint anyone.

Would he go there with their managerial record ? You only get a year maximum.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

With the time we are taking and Watfords record with managers he could be Watfords manager, get the sack, and be back on our radar before we appoint anyone.

If he gets a 3 year contract though, he can't lose. 

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Mmmmm. How many times have I read (often on here) that performances count for nothing if you don't get results. It's the final score/league position that counts. 

I'm being devils advocate, to a point; probably like you some of the best times I can remember watching City have been in the lower leagues, under Terry Cooper particularly springs to mind.

But success is very much judged by league position now, and Im quite sure that if we were currently on our way to a play off final then LJ would still be in charge, and we'd be a pretty happy bunch on here - despite the quality of the football this season.

It's a spectator sport!

Those on here who say performances don't matter if you get the results and only final position matters may not even attend games.

We were in the worst of both world's with LJ, lack of good football/little entertainment, and nothing palpable to show in terms of success either.

I certainly don't judge the health of my club, or it's success, purely on league position.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I think with their squad they are a better option than us especially since the directors here are talking about austerity for next season.

You have to be brave to go there though because if you lose a few games then you're finished. I can see Hughton getting them up next season then getting sacked after 3 games back in the prem. ?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think your post points to the bit of unknown we fans don’t know....and that’s why we can have our perceived no1 choices, but we don’t know if they’re the clubs no1.

If there was an official job advert, we could tick and cross each requirement and evaluate from there.

I’m certainly getting the feeling that if we’ve interviewed Hughton and not appointed him it’s because either he’s keeping us waiting, or he hasn’t quite met what we want.  I suspect it’s a case that he doesn’t quite fit.  So I start leaning towards someone like a Cook or a Neil.

I just want it done by Friday.  I think they will have had enough time by then.

The players are currently off, not sure when they are due back - two/three weeks maybe ?

So the club still has time to get someone in place before some semblance of pre-season starts, but I agree that its dragged on long enough and they should be announcing the new bloke by Friday latest. I've been of the opinion that Hughton isn't what the club are looking for unless they tweak the structure to accommodate him which would explain the long wait. But its more likely that they'll go for a younger head coach role imo.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Hughton now 4/9 odds on for the Watford job who does that leave you guys with? Adkins, Lowe, Cowley or any surprises not yet mentioned!

He's also still 1/4 odds on joining us !

Wouldn't be surprised at the bit in bold.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Momentum.

We road a huge wave on the back from League 1 promotion all the way to the Play Off final.

I know we hear it a lot, a club coming up and keeping going due to the momentum but can this really be true with, usually, a long break for the players for holidays, transfers in and out and then pre-season before a game has even been played? Usually a break of circa 3 months (ish)? That’s a big gap  

Rather than momentum it’s probably simply just good management, decent players etc etc?

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The players are currently off, not sure when they are due back - two/three weeks maybe ?

So the club still has time to get someone in place before some semblance of pre-season starts, but I agree that its dragged on long enough and they should be announcing the new bloke by Friday latest. I've been of the opinion that Hughton isn't what the club are looking for unless they tweak the structure to accommodate him which would explain the long wait. But its more likely that they'll go for a younger head coach role imo.

I'm leaning towards this. If the club were really "into" Chris Hughton I'm sure he would have been on the roof by now. Something seems to be making us hold off and a younger head coach type of appointment wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

My mistake Paddy Power

NEXT PERMANENT WATFORD MANAGER

4/9        Chris Hughton
7/2        Sam Allardyce
6/1        Paul Clement
12/1      Quique Setein
14/1      Slavisa Jokanovic
20/1      Alan Pardew
20/1      Mark Hughes

Why did you miss off Puel at 23/10 from the top of your list?

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Haven't forgotten anything - but if you think the raison d'être of a modern football club is providing entertainment to the fans, then sadly, you're mistaken. 

Football is a commercial enterprise, and to cling on to the past and idealise it as anything but in this day and age is deluded.

I don't like it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

It may not be the raison d'etre but nevertheless at our level it should remain an important objective.

Boring the fans senseless season after season in the perhaps forlorn hope that one day you'll hit the jackpot cannot be the over riding mission that drives this club - it can't be all about money anymore than it is all about the club providing entertainment.

There has to be at least a happy medium. The fact is there's no guarantee we'll EVER get to the PL, so there has to be a lot more going on excitement and entertainment wise than we've seen over the last 2 seasons to keep fans enthused.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It may not be the raison d'etre but nevertheless at our level it should remain an important objective.

Boring the fans senseless season after season in the perhaps forlorn hope that one day you'll hit the jackpot cannot be the over riding mission that drives this club - it can't be all about money anymore than it is all about the club providing entertainment.

There has to be at least a happy medium. The fact is there's no guarantee we'll EVER get to the PL, so there has to be a lot more going on excitement and entertainment wise than we've seen over the last 2 seasons to keep fans enthused.

Don’t disagree with any of that. But a big difference between ‘important objective’ and ‘sole reason for existence’. 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

1000000% this. The number of times opposition keepers came to Ashton Gate last season and didn't have to make a save, either at all or one that couldn't have been made easily by a Toolstation League keeper, was embarrassing. To then hear the Manager come out afterwards and claim we played well did stick in the throat on more than one occasion (more than ten occasions to be honest).

31 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

120 pages and counting, no managerial appointment in sight, if CH doesn't get offered and/or accepts, or goes elsewhere first, then this thread guaranteed classic comedy status.

Let’s just hope that stability rather than ££££ Is the overriding factor in any decision making that CH may have to do.

33 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

120 pages and counting, no managerial appointment in sight, if CH doesn't get offered and/or accepts, or goes elsewhere first, then this thread guaranteed classic comedy status.

And all of them pure speculation, hearsay, rumour and a sprinkling of hope.

Nothing definitive at all.

I have a feeling he's going to go to Watford. They can offer a bigger budget, it's closer to London too and on paper would look like they'd have a better chance of going straight back up. 

Also, he's 61 now - is he really going to want to commit to a 4-5 year 'project' as a head coach?

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a feeling he's going to go to Watford. They can offer a bigger budget, it's closer to London too and on paper would look like they'd have a better chance of going straight back up. 

Also, he's 61 now - is he really going to want to commit to a 4-5 year 'project' as a head coach?

Todays 61 is yesterdays 51.

Apparently.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Me too.

I think he’s rejected them once before but if he gets a good compensation clause in his contract in case they sack him early in it, I reckon he’ll go there for exactly the same reasons as you.

Archived