Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Chris Hughton

2 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Can anyone read the full article? I’d be interested to know why things broke down. I doubt it was over salary but more likely football philosophy or budget. 

No they want me to pay a fee the robbing bar stewards. But my guess would be around funding and wages, Corona would of hit us hard so I’m guessing there isn’t going to be much of a war chest that comes with the job, and the fact cook is interested and already proved he can work within a small budget - the club probably didn’t feel the need to break the bank for hughton. 

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Love everything lansdown has done for the club but can’t for the life of me understand why he won’t go out and get a proven manager, mid table and flirting with relegation is gonna be the next few seasons (really hope I’m wrong )

Totally agree. This was always my worry of LJ were to leave... the replacement has to be demonstrably better. Whoever comes in may very well prove to be, but Hughton was a clear and obvious first choice for me and it’s really disappointing that we haven’t landed him.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Can anyone read the full article? I’d be interested to know why things broke down. I doubt it was over salary but more likely football philosophy or budget. 

Bristol City’s hopes of landing Chris Hughton as manager have faded after failing to strike an agreement with the former Brighton boss. 

Hughton, 61, held talks over succeeding Lee Johnson following his dismissal earlier this month as Championship play-off hopes tumbled, but it is thought the club will look at other options after failing to make a breakthrough with discussions.

Paul Cook is expected to be in contention following his resignation at Wigan Athletic, where he only suffered relegation due to going into administration and suffering a 12-point penalty. 

Hughton is still expected to be in the running for jobs, one year on from his departure at the Amex Stadium where he kept Brighton in the Premier League for two consecutive seasons following automatic promotion from the Championship. He was also promoted with Newcastle before spells with Birmingham City and Norwich City.

Bristol City chief executive Mark Ashton has been biding his time over an appointment, with Dean Holden taking charge of the last five games of the season as caretaker and only suffering one defeat. 

Johnson, 39, had been in charge at Ashton Gate for four years and earned a reputation as a promising young manager after keeping the club in the Championship and finishing eighth in his final full season, four points off the play-off places. 

During his time at the club, young talent from Premier League clubs have been given chances on loan with players such as Tammy Abraham, Kasey Palmer and Ryan Kent getting short-term deals. 

Johnson was dismissed after a run of nine games without a win, including seven defeats, after looking contenders for a play-off place earlier in the campaign. They ended up finishing in 12th place, seven points off top six and a chance at fighting for promotion.  

The relevant bit in full below:-

“Bristol City’s hopes of landing Chris Hughton as manager have faded after failing to strike an agreement with the former Brighton boss. 

Hughton, 61, held talks over succeeding Lee Johnson following his dismissal earlier this month as Championship play-off hopes tumbled, but it is thought the club will look at other options after failing to make a breakthrough with discussions.

Paul Cook is expected to be in contention following his resignation at Wigan Athletic, where he only suffered relegation due to going into administration and suffering a 12-point penalty. 

Hughton is still expected to be in the running for jobs, one year on from his departure at the Amex Stadium where he kept Brighton in the Premier League for two consecutive seasons following automatic promotion from the Championship. He was also promoted with Newcastle before spells with Birmingham City and Norwich City.”

So in other words nothing to say whether Hughton wanted more than we could provide as a club or whether the club could have but didn't want to meet his demands. Hopefully whoever does get appointed won't be marred by fans on social media being like 'BuT wE cOuLd HaVe HaD hUgHtOn'

17 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Daily Telegraph today : edit you need to be a subscriber or registered to read but here you go

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/29/bristol-city-fail-reach-agreement-chris-hughton-talks/

Bristol City fail to reach agreement in Chris Hughton talks

Hughton held talks over succeeding former manager Lee Johnson following his dismissal earlier this month

ByMike McGrath 29 July 2020 • 2:27pm

Bristol City’s hopes of landing Chris Hughton as manager have faded after failing to strike an agreement with the former Brighton boss. 

Hughton is still expected to be in the running for jobs, one year on from his departure at the Amex Stadium where he kept Brighton in the Premier League for two consecutive seasons following automatic promotion from the Championship. He was also promoted with Newcastle before spells with Birmingham City and Norwich City.

Bristol City chief executive Mark Ashton has been biding his time over an appointment, with Dean Holden taking charge of the last five games of the season as caretaker and only suffering one defeat. 

Johnson, 39, had been in charge at Ashton Gate for four years and earned a reputation as a promising young manager after keeping the club in the Championship and finishing eighth in his final full season, four points off the play-off places. 

During his time at the club, young talent from Premier League clubs have been given chances on loan with players such as Tammy Abraham, Kasey Palmer and Ryan Kent getting short-term deals. 

Johnson was dismissed after a run of nine games without a win, including seven defeats, after looking contenders for a play-off place earlier in the campaign. They ended up finishing in 12th place, seven points off top six and a chance at fighting for promotion.  

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So in other words nothing to say whether Hughton wanted more than we could provide as a club or whether the club could have but didn't want to meet his demands. Hopefully whoever does get appointed won't be marred by fans on social media being like 'BuT wE cOuLd HaVe HaD hUgHtOn'

Whoever gets the job has got to SUPPORTED, like it or not. If it goes pear shaped then two people have to face the music not the new Manager.

Fading doesn't mean ended. 

It's obvious there are sticking points, as the talks wouldn't have been going on for this long if everything was a breeze. 

I doubt that sticking point is salary. More likely ongoing commitments on expenditure I'd have thought and maybe promotion-triggered contract issues.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Post reporting that the telegraph story isn't true,

I'm not one to believe the post but in gmcg's credit he was spot on rubbishing the talksport story

Exactly - the fact that we HAVEN’T appointed Hughton, or indeed anyone, yet endorses what GMcG has been saying and suggests he is a more reliable source than any national media.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly - the fact that we HAVEN’T appointed Hughton, or indeed anyone, yet endorses what GMcG has been saying and suggests he is a more reliable source than any national media.

He isnt the problem the post is but credit where credits due

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m bored with it to be honest and pretty much gone past caring . Have to remind myself that I’m a Bristol City fan . Don’t get your hopes up . 

I love the roller coaster of emotions this football club never fails to deliver i love it pure theatre 😂😂😂

• Haha 1
  • phantom changed the title to Chris Hughton