Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

4 hours ago, tin said:

Maybe. I don’t think cost comes into it if the club is seriously considering paying Neil’s £3m buyout, that could cover Hughton’s salary for almost three years. If cost is a problem, we simply sell some high earners (Diedhiou will likely be one who leaves anyway this summer) and reallocate those funds to Hughton. 

The days of a long-term appointment are sadly gone. Howe and Dyche, the second and third longest-serving managers are likely to leave this summer. SL should get with the times and appoint the best manager available to get us into the PL, if that’s what he wants. 

@Coppello would compensation for a manager be split over the term of the contract, like it would be for a player?  Ta.

If so, the £2-3m buyout over a 3yr contract becomes much more feasible.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello would compensation for a manager be split over the term of the contract, like it would be for a player?  Ta.

Yes it would be. Similar to a transfer fee of a player. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Not at all. Although as it's the weekend I have been buffing up my crystal balls.

Please don’t discuss your anatomy on the forum 

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Not at all. Although as it's the weekend I have been buffing up my crystal balls.

That's what they are saying at tennis clubs now. You can only handle your own balls (so wear baggy shorts)

Edited by southvillekiddy
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Feasible or not, it’s still a sum the club has to pay when a more proven candidate is available for free.

So questions should be asked if they do pay it for Neil as the cost of getting Hughton would’ve been affordable and much more viable. 

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I will remember Chris Hughton,

When (Cook sets us up all wrong and) we lose again at Luton,

And crumble post Christmas, again, like a (crumbly) crouton,

Whilst sat on my futon (turning instead to the philosophy of Roger Scruton).

I’ll go with the first two lines.

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I will remember Chris Hughton,

When (Cook sets us up all wrong and) we lose again at Luton,

And crumble post Christmas, again, like a (crumbly) crouton,

Whilst sat on my futon (turning instead to the philosophy of Roger Scruton).

Been waiting years on here for something erudite like this

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not that it means much;

Hughton out to 3/1...again.

Neil now 7/1.

Cook 8/13 favourite after his resignation officially ratified.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/bristol-city/next-permanent-manager

Definitely right it doesn't mean much considering they're still offering odds for 2 managers, Karanka and Harry Kewell, who have both landed other jobs this week.

Cotts looks interesting at 80/1.

28 minutes ago, tin said:

Feasible or not, it’s still a sum the club has to pay when a more proven candidate is available for free.

So questions should be asked if they do pay it for Neil as the cost of getting Hughton would’ve been affordable and much more viable. 

Say its an initial 3 year contract, the rumour is Hughton wanted ~20k a week, lets say Neil would start on similar to what LJ was on when he left. The difference is almost £500,000 per year in salary, so £3m release clause is effectively £1.5m more if you count the difference in wages paid. Next backroom staff, Neil knows Holden, has no real assistant to bring with him (according to PNE website he operates with 1st team coaches rather than assistant) whereas Hughton could want to bring his whole backroom staff at additional cost and could eat a fair chunk out of that £1.5m left, if he brings 1 person over you'd guess they'd be on half what Hughton is on so potentially another £500,000 out for Lawrence if he joined so £1m left. 

So the question is would Chris Hughton spend more than £1m more than Alex Neil as manager? I'd guess yes, so in reality Hughton isn't more affordable than Neil even with the release clause 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
11 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, I should've left it at that, like poet John Hegley  (of Lu-ton. And Bristol).

How about EJ Thribb:

In Memoriam - Chris Hughton.

So. Farewell

Then  

Chris Hughton.

The greatest manager

City

Never had.

(Apart from Moyesie.)

(And Joe Royle.)

We'll keep the red flag

Flying high without you,

Comrade.

But now your goose is Paul Cooked.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Erudite. Isn’t that a type of glue?

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No, I think Erudite was an ancient Greek goddess who was particularly keen on a bit of hanky panky.

Erudités are traditional French appetizers consisting of sliced or whole raw vegetables which are typically dipped in a vinaigrette or other dipping Source.

28 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Say its an initial 3 year contract, the rumour is Hughton wanted ~20k a week, lets say Neil would start on similar to what LJ was on when he left. The difference is almost £500,000 per year in salary, so £3m release clause is effectively £1.5m more if you count the difference in wages paid. Next backroom staff, Neil knows Holden, has no real assistant to bring with him (according to PNE website he operates with 1st team coaches rather than assistant) whereas Hughton could want to bring his whole backroom staff at additional cost and could eat a fair chunk out of that £1.5m left, if he brings 1 person over you'd guess they'd be on half what Hughton is on so potentially another £500,000 out for Lawrence if he joined so £1m left. 

So the question is would Chris Hughton spend more than £1m more than Alex Neil as manager? I'd guess yes, so in reality Hughton isn't more affordable than Neil even with the release clause 

Neil takes Frankie McAvoy with him everywhere he goes.

Also lead to believe Neil is on around 20k a week at PNE, significantly more than any of our players. He wouldn't come cheap in that sense.

I think where Hughton would be more expensive is the backing he requires in the transfer market. Neil would obviously want greater backing than he has had at PNE but Hughton has always required top quality signings across the board at great expense to win promotion. Neil is quite good at inheriting squads, making a couple tweaks and building from there.

Edited by pnefcok
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Neil takes Frankie McAvoy with him everywhere he goes.

Also lead to believe Neil is on around 20k a week at PNE, significantly more than any of our players. He wouldn't come cheap in that sense.

I think where Hughton would be more expensive is the backing he requires in the transfer market. Neil would obviously want greater backing than he has had at PNE but Hughton has always required top quality signings across the board at great expense to win promotion. Neil is quite good at inheriting squads, making a couple tweaks and building from there.

Fair enough, even so I agree I think Hughton's demands in the market would involve bigger fees and bigger wages, so over 3 years I expect Hughton would still spend more than the release clause for Neil

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

City are red

Rovers are blue

Sign someone soon

Or we’re right in the poo

there - that’s my literary contribution!!!

End of year report:

Tries hard, but room for improvement 

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Fair enough, even so I agree I think Hughton's demands in the market would involve bigger fees and bigger wages, so over 3 years I expect Hughton would still spend more than the release clause for Neil

He usually takes his recruitment/head scout guy Joe Savage with him too. Don't know where he would fit in in your structure.

He's basically pointless here because we never pay to sign our first choices.