IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

For what it’s worth, my £10 would still be on Hughton. 
I’m convinced that the Fulham interest in him has been the hold up. Holden was the back up plan if Hughton went to Fulham. 

I think the phone calls will be made today to both parties, Holden to tell him they’re resuming talks with Hughton, whilst the call to Hughton will be to nail down the requirement to keep Holden in the coaching team. 

Where did the 'Fulham' stuff come from?

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think I ever want to see the Back of SL... although the appointment of Holden would make me question it. 

First time ever this crossed my mind as well.  The guy is a god for us and deserves recognition no mortal could give.  HOWEVER one thing that will tarnish his legacy (and may have already done so) is his choices of managers over the years.  Nobody has a crystal ball but with the aggregated money spent, many teams have been promoted to the prem spending far less?

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

The only point I'm making is that - lovely though they are - Bristol City Football Club does not begin and end with the Lansdown's and their patronage. They're not a charity, they get something out of it. It existed before them and it will exist afterwards. 

No doubt, in whatever form that may be you are correct. However painful that would be.

However as a 'fan' we have no right to be privy to any and all information, its the self entitled  nature of many which almost always shows its self at times like these, more so on mediums such as this.

12 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Not saying he does but some people are incredibly hands on and want to meet a person they are trusting with millions of pounds in person, look them in the eye, feel the handshake, you know.

Well he’s had a few weeks to get over for a handshake and Guernsey isn’t that far, especially if you have your own private plane!  

He could probably be over quicker than I can get to the ground from my home in Kingswood on match day ffs.

This whole process is going from being embarassing to absolutely farcical.

14 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

No doubt, in whatever form that may be you are correct. However painful that would be.

However as a 'fan' we have no right to be privy to any and all information, its the self entitled  nature of many which almost always shows its self at times like these, more so on mediums such as this.

There is a balancing act however and some form of update, however mundane, would not have been a bad thing to do. Treat fans like "customers" and guess how they will end up behaving? Which means they may find something else to spend their money on and in a post-Covid world that will inevitably, as night follows day, see a huge number of people deciding how they will spend a significantly lower amount of disposable income than they had pre-Covid therefore the club needs to tread carefully and act accordingly.

Twitter wind-ups and the like are not the way to go.

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

First time ever this crossed my mind as well.  The guy is a god for us and deserves recognition no mortal could give.  HOWEVER one thing that will tarnish his legacy (and may have already done so) is his choices of managers over the years.  Nobody has a crystal ball but with the aggregated money spent, many teams have been promoted to the prem spending far less?

Agree we are massively lucky to have him, but he has to wake up to his limitations, as they are costing him millions.  

Let’s be honest, if his fortune was built on selecting football managers, rather than investment markets, he could possibly be living in a cardboard box in a shop doorway by now!

I thought that would get you posting. I am sure when Steve has had enough he will put the club up for sale. Yes we have seen disasters at certain clubs with new owners. But their has also been great successes.Chelsea, Man City,Bournemouth Sheffield United and Wovels. I am sure if put on the market we would be a very attractive propulsion to some rich company/owner around the world. Hoping we will see a exciting appointment in the next days. But a internal appointment will send not only me but many away depressed.

42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

At the end of the day i will be happy to see the back of SL, JL and MA. The way they have treated the fans is a disgrace. We need a clean out from top to bottom of the management of this club.

Let's sell it to the Chinese and end up like wigan, or the russians and end up like Portsmouth

Or another local businessman and end uo like bury and Chester........

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

It's a non story from g Mac g in the post, he knows nothing just regurgitates old news

He seems to have got more right than anyone else!

When the media was reporting that we were going to appoint Chris Hughton, he said not true, still 7-10 days away!

He was right!

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Let's sell it to the Chinese and end up like wigan, or the russians and end up like Portsmouth

Or another local businessman and end uo like bury and Chester........

Or not sell it at all and end up like.....................................same old Bristol City!!

16 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

I'm not sure I completely agree.

To give one example, the club is currently sitting on a mountain of cash paid by ordinary folk for season tickets for next year. Literally millions of pounds if 12k fans have paid an average of £400 a ticket. As things stand, in these unusual times, we have no firm idea what we've bought and been told precisely nothing to enlighten us.

The season starts in a few weeks. We have no manager. The club appears ill prepared. I don't think it's 'entitled' to ask questions and expect answers. I'm always baffled by the mindset of supporters who don't ask questions and appear happy to go along with whatever happens.

15 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I thought that would get you posting. I am sure when Steve has had enough he will put the club up for sale. Yes we have seen disasters at certain clubs with new owners. But their has also been great successes.Chelsea, Man City,Bournemouth Sheffield United and Wovels. I am sure if put on the market we would be a very attractive propulsion to some rich company/owner around the world. Hoping we will see a exciting appointment in the next days. But a internal appointment will send not only me but many away depressed.

Thing is he did appoint Coppell who was proven at this level and I feel completely messed us up. SOD who did very well playing attractive footy with Donny and didn't do too bad at Forest either. I am in the camp that dont want us to get a manager if it costs us too much but there are definitely better choice than Holden. This whole saga makes us look like an absolute joke IF what Gregor says is true.

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Thing is he did appoint Coppell who was proven at this level and I feel completely messed us up. SOD who did very well playing attractive footy with Donny and didn't do too bad at Forest either. I am in the camp that dont want us to get a manager if it costs us too much but there are definitely better choice than Holden. This whole saga makes us look like an absolute joke IF what Gregor says is true.

SL is haunted by Coppell.  The one time he went big and it backfired massively.

Perhaps this is what's preventing Hughton and any other 'name'.

34 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well he’s had a few weeks to get over for a handshake and Guernsey isn’t that far, especially if you have your own private plane!  

He could probably be over quicker than I can get to the ground from my home in Kingswood on match day ffs.

This whole process is going from being embarassing to absolutely farcical.

You missed the earlier post stating there is a 14 day quarantine for reentering Guernsey, it may be a question of waiting for that to be removed before he comes over, if of course he feels he needs to. He does appear very hands on still so.......

Gregor’s job is to get people to click and view the articles. He’s deffo doing that! If the club are giving nothing away he’s got a job to do still & at least it gives us all something to talk about. You do have to take nearly all of it with a pinch of salt & read the wording carefully, it’s no more news than you get reading here. It’s just because it’s from a publication which in these days we are sometimes the journalists for the journalists - embedding tweets etc. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Gut feeling is Gregor may have pushed it too far with yesterday’s article & now they are saying no second interviews etc as they’ve seen the backlash and don’t wanna lose CH / another when they may have made the decision.

who knows the bed sheets may have just saved the day 

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not sure I completely agree.

To give one example, the club is currently sitting on a mountain of cash paid by ordinary folk for season tickets for next year. Literally millions of pounds if 12k fans have paid an average of £400 a ticket. As things stand, in these unusual times, we have no firm idea what we've bought and been told precisely nothing to enlighten us.

The season starts in a few weeks. We have no manager. The club appears ill prepared. I don't think it's 'entitled' to ask questions and expect answers. I'm always baffled by the mindset of supporters who don't ask questions and appear happy to go along with whatever happens.

Probably somewhere between £3-4m’s worth.

Why do you think clubs sell season tickets in March?  To cover cash flow during the summer months of no income.  It’s not just sat there in a mahoosive shoe box is it.  It’s covering the costs of the club over the summer for a business that costs more to run than it brings in, and is only kept running by handouts from the owner and / or by selling players.

I don’t disagree that we look ill prepared though.  Last Friday was my self-imposed cutoff for an announcement.  We are running a risk of being under cooked, but I guess Holden is still in charge and preparing for pre-season with the fitness guys, so BAU in some respects.  It’s recruitment/ trading that is being hamstrung at the mo most definitely.  

2 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

You missed the earlier post stating there is a 14 day quarantine for reentering Guernsey, it may be a question of waiting for that to be removed before he comes over, if of course he feels he needs to. He does appear very hands on still so.......

Yes, you’re right Cheshire I didn’t see that about quarantine, so my bad.

Let’s just hope in these difficult times that SL might compromise and just settle for a virtual handshake, if that’s what’s needed to end this drawn out saga.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Last Friday was my self-imposed cutoff for an announcement.  

You should message the hierarchy and give them grief making us wait all this time is well out of order and incurring many a sleepless night amongst our more passionate fans, let alone the lost person hours refreshing computers at work.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why do you think clubs sell season tickets in March?  To cover cash flow during the summer months of no income.  It’s not just sat there in a mahoosive shoe box is it.  It’s covering the costs of the club over the summer for a business that costs more to run than it brings in, and is only kept running by handouts from the owner and / or by selling players.

I don’t disagree that we look ill prepared though.  Last Friday was my self-imposed cutoff for an announcement.  We are running a risk of being under cooked, but I guess Holden is still in charge and preparing for pre-season with the fitness guys, so BAU in some respects.  It’s recruitment/ trading that is being hamstrung at the mo most definitely.  

Hey, I'm not saying that the money hasn't been spent. It wouldn't be earning much in a bank account at the moment! But that's a lot of money to working men and women - peanuts to the owner.

And as it stands I'm darned if I know what I've got for the £1000 we've paid. And I'd quite like to know!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What do you make of our financial position dave? If we could get 5m for either elliasson or fam ive no doubt we will take it, but i just dont see them being replaced with anything but loans or free transfers. We are 5 million or so in profit from the brownhill/ wells deal, plus the kelly and webster income was not all spent on transfer fees.

its galling to thing how much weve spent on players who never play, and now the money has dried up we are in trouble.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Hey, I'm not saying that the money hasn't been spent. It wouldn't be earning much in a bank account at the moment! But that's a lot of money to working men and women - peanuts to the owner.

And as it stands I'm darned if I know what I've got for the £1000 we've paid. And I'd quite like to know!

Playing devils advocate, you stump up your season card money in advance every year, not knowing what’s gonna change between then and the season starts.

I do get the view that it would be nice to hear “something”, but I also think there’s nothing worth communicating either.

29 minutes ago, Rocky said:

SL is haunted by Coppell.  The one time he went big and it backfired massively.

Perhaps this is what's preventing Hughton and any other 'name'.

If he is indeed haunted by the Coppell saga then he really needs to grow a pair!

He seems to me to be a bloke that would learn from a mistake and act on it. Rather than someone scared of making the same mistake again. There again, I only know him for kicking him up in the air in Charity match at Ashton Gate.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite true Dave, and it happens every year - in 2010 stumped up for GJ, got Coppell briefly and a lot of Keith Millen. I know how it works. I happen to think the total silence on what ST holders will get, as on everything else happening, is poor client management - 5 months, not a peep. But it's no more - or less - than I expected!

Archived