IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Oh, really: I've heard it all now. Conflating those two things means you really do think that "they" (I assume you mean the Board) are deliberately set on a course to damage the club.

'We know we've got a poor/unpopular manager in post, but let's leave him there because the person we're going to replace him with is even worse and even less popular' 

Come on!

Not a deliberate course to damage the club, just a course to keep absolute control over every aspect.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

Not a deliberate course to damage the club, just a course to keep absolute control over every aspect.

Oh, on that I think you may well be right. 

My personal view (and it's entirely conjecture) is that the events behind LJs departure weren't miles different from Cotterills. Both around Lansdown's stated strategy as a selling club: Cotterill wouldn't sell, Johnson felt he had the rug pulled out over Webster and Brownhill. 

I doubt SL's strategy has changed and that may well be a problem for potential managers. But I'm also sure that's because SL thinks its the right strategy - and to be fair - as is often forgotten - we're in a better place now in almost every respect (financial, facilities, status) than we have been for many many years. That's why he'll think he's right.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Oh, on that I think you may well be right. 

My personal view (and it's entirely conjecture) is that the events behind LJs departure weren't miles different from Cotterills. Both around Lansdown's stated strategy as a selling club: Cotterill wouldn't sell, Johnson felt he had the rug pulled out over Webster and Brownhill. 

I doubt SL's strategy has changed and that may well be a problem for potential managers. But I'm also sure that's because SL thinks its the right strategy - and to be fair - as is often forgotten - we're in a better place now in almost every respect (financial, facilities, status) than we have been for many many years. That's why he'll think he's right.

True. 

But if that's the case, as stated numerous times he shouldn't be raising expectations with comments such as he did a month ago.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

True. 

But if that's the case, as stated numerous times he shouldn't be raising expectations with comments such as he did a month ago.

He's done that before as well, hasn't he? Can't remember when, but it sure rings a bell.

I think it's his way of saying that he's got confidence in whoever he appoints - they stood out even in competition with some outstanding candidates, sort of thing. Plus, of course, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - Tinnion appointment being a case where he didn't!

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He's done that before as well, hasn't he? Can't remember when, but it sure rings a bell.

I think it's his way of saying that he's got confidence in whoever he appoints - they stood out even in competition with some outstanding candidates, sort of thing. Plus, of course, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - Tinnion appointment being a case where he didn't!

"Judge me on Tinnion", was it?

Personally, I judge him on all of his appointments, and Johnson Senior aside, it's not a great verdict.

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I imagine that the only people waiting by the phone will be security.

By the time we call it’ll go through to voicemail.... “hi you’re through to Chris Hughton, manager of Watford Football Club, please leave a message after the tone...”

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

a muppet family christmas phone GIF

Kermit or Holden anyone? 

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Oh i really cannot imagine a man of Chris Hughton’s calibre ‘’waiting by the phone’’ for a phone calm off either Ashton or JL. Laughable !! :laugh:

Well quite bris. Back in the day when it was print-based only - with no news on a story developing - the editor would simply give the column inches to another story and/or writer. With modern media, people want or are expected to provide, an almost constant stream of material. This guy Gregor has to say something, even when there's nothing to say. A sign of the times as much as anything else.

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Hughton gets the job now the pressure to deliver will be immense. If he doesn't take us to the promised land the level of disappointment on here could reach seismic proportions. It can see the anger as he's accused of being a fraud and not as good as he thinks he is. 

I wouldn't think that would happen, especially if transfers were curtailed due to COVID.

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Hughton gets the job now the pressure to deliver will be immense. If he doesn't take us to the promised land the level of disappointment on here could reach seismic proportions. It can see the anger as he's accused of being a fraud and not as good as he thinks he is. 

Whys that? If he doesn't, he doesn't. IMO he would receive the same as any other manager. At least we took action in believing he was the right person to take us forward and most importantly to me the club finally backed the talk they so often spout.

4 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I think it could be the case whoever we appoint because of how long it’s going to have taken to appoint someone.

A lot of fans are pissed off right now

yes but things will change by next year. CH doesn't guarantee promotion. Nobody knows when the season will end, what is going to happen with injuries, new players, loans, transfers. Yes people are pissed off now but a year is a long time in football

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I wouldn’t have thought so.

No one is saying that CH guarantees promotion.

At least we’d look like we’re trying, couldn’t fault the club or the manager for that besides, he didn’t get Brighton promoted in his first season.

41 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He isn’t coming 

Archived