IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

22 minutes ago, sludge said:

Agreed. Ipswich were 'established' in the Championship not so long ago...

There's no such thing as an established championship side. Any club who takes their position for granted will get bitten on the arse, like we have in the past. This division is a crackpot one and it's way easier to go south out of it than north to the prem. The minute the hierarchy believe that with our stadium, our infrastructure and our support (when it was galvanised) it can't happen to us, it will. They should be forever progressing and never stopping to accept the status quo. Part of that process is employing the best man(or women, or what ever identified gender the applicant chooses) to drive the club on. That's simply not happening here.

15 minutes ago, Phillythe kid said:

Part of that process is employing the best man(or women, or what ever identified gender the applicant chooses) to drive the club on. That's simply not happening here.

The best man or woman etc is the obvious way forward - but that person is only identified by the opinions of those interviewing the candidates, and unfortunately that’s no one on this forum.

As much as we all want the best for the club the interview criteria is not just who the person is or what they’ve achieved, it’s everything else that goes with it like budget, personal terms and the staff they’d like to bring with them - and again no one on here has any evidence they can provide to use to prove otherwise. 

This is not FIFA 20 or whatever games people like to play when being a pretend football manager, it’s life and it’s complicated so even after a long 5 weeks we have to be patient a bit longer as we have no other choice until THEY decide to tell US their choice. 

On 05/08/2020 at 13:36, Harry said:

For what it’s worth, my £10 would still be on Hughton. 
I’m convinced that the Fulham interest in him has been the hold up. Holden was the back up plan if Hughton went to Fulham. 

I think the phone calls will be made today to both parties, Holden to tell him they’re resuming talks with Hughton, whilst the call to Hughton will be to nail down the requirement to keep Holden in the coaching team. 

Just sayin’............... 

I’m ever more convinced that Holden is not the appointment. I simply can’t see the club inviting the known backlash. 
I’m convinced Hughton has still been in talks (if not him then someone else, Cook perhaps?). 

I’m anticipating a 3pm Hughton announcement. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I’m ever more convinced that Holden is not the appointment. I simply can’t see the club inviting the known backlash. 
I’m convinced Hughton has still been in talks (if not him then someone else, Cook perhaps?). 

Not as confident as you but would love it to be true....

I'm really hoping this is the biggest cock tease of all time & that the roof video starts with a drone flying down to reveal Holden clearly waiting for someone, checking his watch, before it cuts to Hughton climbing out the roof hatch to the Avengers soundtrack. Big Chris (wearing the new City home shirt) then walks over to Holden with a huge grin on his face before they both then do a socially distanced elbow bump to camera whilst shouting COYR. 

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

I've been convinced for a while that it isn't Holden - he would have been in place two weeks ago imo.

Hope its Hughton.

I don't expect a 3pm announcement though.....maybe 5pm :yawn:

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Cook already ruled out 

5 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I'm really hoping this is the biggest cock tease of all time & that the roof video starts with a drone flying down to reveal Holden clearly waiting for someone, checking his watch, before it cuts to Hughton climbing out the roof hatch to the Avengers soundtrack. Big Chris (wearing the new City home shirt) then walks over to Holden with a huge grin on his face before they both then do a socially distanced elbow bump to camera whilst shouting COYR. 

It ends with him smashing a volley against the bar from 40 yards.

Which is why it has taken so long, we underestimated how difficult it would be!

My view is Hughton and the club agreed a deal in principle but the club have made additional demands on him regarding the same coaching staff to reduce costs which he's not prepared to engage with.

Now, after the club conducted the 2nd interviews, they are none the wiser as I believe they are waying up the cost of fans choice Hughton, managing his expectations and his impressive CV against an untried but cheaper and easier to manage within the club structure, foreign coach and the cheaper option of Dean Holden and the potential severe fan backlash and loss of revenue that will follow.

2 hours ago, sludge said:

I think it can be argued that we have gone round in circles as far as 'on the pitch' is concerned. We have been a mid-table championship team under Lansdown's ownership before (under Gary Johnson etc).

Happy if you don't agree with me though ?

10 years ago we had a bit of a freak season and drifted down the league slowly (and then not so slowly) in the following seasons.

This time around we have done the opposite, until this season.

A bit of what is below also applies in my response to you.

You are of course, welcome to disagree, but expanding on my point for why we haven't gone in circles.

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

We'd have thought ourselves established, or at the very least well on the way to being established, 10 years ago. I certainly did! The talk was all of going one step further.

What happened next was a bit of a fiasco. I'm not keen to see it repeated.

What I mean by going around in circles relates to our performances on the pitch, not the infrastructure built off it. But as it happens I sit in precisely the same red plastic bucket seat in the Dolman as I did a decade ago.

See above.

The other crucial difference is that because our academy now isn't just essentially there in name only, we have far better prospects coming through who can be added to our squad if needed.

We have a squad that is one the whole, younger than last time, so we should see some of these players develop and improve with us. A number of the players with us now are approaching their prime years, last time it was more the opposite. 

Are we immune from relegation because we are established? Absolutely not. But on and off the pitch we are far better than the last time we were a Championship club.

Archived