IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

The article is interesting but focuses on his time in the Premier League. I would love to be concerned about the style of football he employs in the top flight but I think we should be more worried about his ability to get teams out of this division. 

If we look at his record as a manager in this division, it paints a slightly different picture: 

- Newcastle United: The 2009/10 season was his first at the helm of a club. He won Manager of the Month three of out of the first four months of that season. Promotion was the expectation and he delivered it by remaining unbeaten at home for the entire season and winning the title by mid April. They finished on a goal difference of +55 and secured 102 points across the season. He was sacked by Christmas the following season which came to the dismay of many pundits and Newcastle fans. 

- Birmingham City: In June 2011, he joined Birmingham City who were recently relegated from the Premier League. He took them to a respectable position of fourth in the league and guided them to the Europa League group stages after the Blues won the League Cup in the prior season. They finished on 76 points with a +27 goal difference. He was approached by Norwich City at the end of the season and took the helm at the Premier League club.

- Norwich City: I would like to put less weighting on his time at this given it was in the top flight. However, they finished 11th in his first full season in charge (+14) but was fired in April 2014 with the club in 17th place in the league. 

- Brighton & Hove Albion: Hughton took over on New Year's Eve in December 2014 with the club in 21st place, level with Millwall in the relegation zone. In his first season, the club finished 20th which 6 points clear of the relegation zone. In next two seasons, he finished 3rd and 2nd having played excellent football across both years.

His record and this level is exemplary and the article refers to his final year in the Premier League. I don't think we have any right to be worried about how his style of football deteriorated in their second successive season in the top division. He has played some very good football in the Championship and I would be very confident he guide us into the play-offs next season. 

Thanks Chris, you've got the job. 

11 minutes ago, Judda said:

Rather CH. Better football style than MM.

As a semi-retired Tractor Boy, I reluctantly have to agree with you, Judda. Like Robbored, I'd be happy with either but happier with Hughton. He has the exact pedigree we need, for the next three years at least. And when we are up, we will be up - and might need someone else to keep us there. But I can see Hughton in the City Hall of Fame. Almost ready to start clapping again!

This will decide how serious we are about promotion. If we get Hughton then it’s obvious we’re really going for it next season. Any lower league or untested manager will prove we’re happy in this league flirting with top 6... 

Sounds like a 'shoe in' for Steve, you know a pleasant chap, Prem experience, but does he have the grit to take this sleepy club into the big time? I do like the bloke (who doesn't), but perhaps we need someone that is a little more hard edged.MM is also a great shout, has bags of personality, also nice bloke and bags of experience, at ALL levels, great communicator and a media man's dream. It a tough one, and I am out....

Would he play 4-4-2 with wingers in the Championship?

For me it's not so much the style as the specifics of the setup- it all feeds in I know. I know he's positive at this level, in general yet...

Wingers and two strikers is nice- being outnumbered in CM not so much! Problems can stem all over the pitch from that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro Hughton in many ways. The lack of opportunity for young players is perhaps a concern albeit a secondary one maybe, given our model.

We are a different club today, then we were when LJ was offered the position.  He was given every tool possible to get us to the next level.

In the grand scheme of things, LJ's tenure in relative terms once we look back in 10 years or so, will be that he was in charge of our transition from League 1 club to established Championship team.  I would say that is not failure.

This next appointment's criteria should be PL.  If not acheived that would then be considered a failure.  The board have to get this right.  Hughton would be my choice.

5 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

Not sure if this is a joke.... There is a bold strapline along the bottom stating CH interested in Bristol City job.

Why would this be a joke, we are a well funded stable outfit, and potential to fulfill, a dream job for him.

I'll be honest here, i liked the way Brighton set up when they were at our level and it would be quite refreshing to see a defensive set up that can actually defend rather than the 'after you' defence LJ set us up with. I don't think we're lacking the players, just a system setup that actually works! 

7 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

Sounds like a 'shoe in' for Steve, you know a pleasant chap, Prem experience, but does he have the grit to take this sleepy club into the big time? I do like the bloke (who doesn't), but perhaps we need someone that is a little more hard edged.MM is also a great shout, has bags of personality, also nice bloke and bags of experience, at ALL levels, great communicator and a media man's dream. It a tough one, and I am out....

He played in the top flight all his career and internationally winning f.a and uefa cups. Has taken two clubs up to the prem. just because he’s softly spoken and has a calm manner doesn’t mean he hasn’t got a edge to him . You have to , to succeed in football at that level

20 minutes ago, Rocky said:

with this in mind, CH is a diplomatic fella by all accounts so could probably find a way of working with the current setup, although slightly modified. MM, good manager though he is, I'm not so sure. A direct, in your face, says it how it is bloke may not sit so well with the powers that be.

That said, either of them would be most welcome in my opinion, as would Jokanovic. The stumbling block could be agreeing terms with CH but he seems to have everything we want and need, in our current situation.

9 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

Why would this be a joke, we are a well funded stable outfit, and potential to fulfill, a dream job for him.

Carm down dear... Didn't know if the poster was joking about it not being on SSN. You can untwist your panties now. :P

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Brighton fans might disagree with you, towards the end of his reign for sure

Indeed.

Their main gripes seem to be that his football is pragmatic at best (not just towards the end) and that he just won't promote youngsters.

But can't argue with the CV - I'd forgotten that he had a season at Birmingham and got them to 4th in the championship.

28 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Indeed........................................Dean Holden it is then.

Yep, you can just hear Mark Ashton saying ‘you wouldn’t believe some of the names who showed an interest, but we felt Dean was was the best fit and had the right DNA to taken the club to where we want to be’

Archived