IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

2 hours ago, KingswoodReds? said:

Im not im favour for a certain person to be appointed. Just sitting back and seeing what happens but, chris hughton doesn't play youth and also likes to lump it forward to a target man i.e andy Carroll, glen Murray. Doesn't seem to fit the 'city way' 

Really ? As widely discussed on here gave the biggest masterclass we saw in years when beating us 4-0 , no lumping anything , Glenn Murray is a good footballer, maybe you’re not a fan but that is a massive generalisation 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Truly unbelievable that people would moan about Hughton being appointed  out of the field of managers we have been linked with.  Takes all sorts though! 

Not unbelievable mate, just different shares of opinion.  I have nothing against Hughton who I believe is a decent bloke with a proven track record, but I’ve always wanted a different kind of appointment.  Depends what you want in the future I suppose.  I’m less concerned about a quick promotion and more eager to see better football and a return to developing our own young players.

57 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Informal discussions I would imagine

Informal Discussions

Mark Ashton: Do you want the job Chris?

Chris Hughton: Yes please.

Mark Ashton: Great! See you later!

Formal Discussions

Mark Ashton: Have you brought a PowerPoint?

Chris Hughton: No.

Mark Ashton: See you later!

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well if this is true and fans have got what they wanted I sincerely hope it works out, but I feel more deflated by the prospect of Hughton being appointed than I would if it was Ryan Lowe or a host of young coaches.  Maybe Hughton can deliver success in the short term, but would he build something sustainable for the future?  Would young, particularly homegrown, players get their chance?  Would it be all about securing promotion as quickly as possible or would it be about the type of football we play, and the longer-term future?  I suspect I may not be alone in being concerned about where Hughton’s appointment would take us.  Premier League at any cost?  Not for me...

weve just given a so called highly sought after, young up and coming coach over 4 years to arrive at a point where he produced utterly dire football with a very poor home record.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not unbelievable mate, just different shares of opinion.  I have nothing against Hughton who I believe is a decent bloke with a proven track record, but I’ve always wanted a different kind of appointment.  Depends what you want in the future I suppose.  I’m less concerned about a quick promotion and more eager to see better football and a return to developing our own young players.

Sorry no offence mean. But I do stand by what I say, given the other choices in the market CH is head and shoulders above the rest.  We have just had 4+ years with an ‘up and coming’ manager and whilst it may have stabilised us we certainly weren’t enjoying champagne football by any stretch and I don’t think he has developed youth to any great extent - I would expect what has come through to come through under any manager given the money spent on the academy. Also it’s a misnomer that is put on here by some that CH doesn’t play decent stuff - his team in the Champ were really good to watch but he had to be pragmatic in the Prem as I would expect us to be if we got there.  You have to be realistic. Let’s hope we get a chance experience it. 

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Your less concenered about a quick promotion ????WEVE BEEN WAITING 40 YEARS!!!!!! I cant wait much longer

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Amazed to read in the Post that formal discussions about the job have not taken place with Hughton. What has been going on for the last three weeks then. 

Interview process,

When you apply for a job do you get an interview the next week or is it a month out?

Do we offer interviews for the 200 candidates that would prob apply

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If we were talking about employing Warnock, then I would totally agree.  If we can have some of the Brighton football we witnessed when they were under Chris Hughton in the Championship, I’d be very happy with that.

Fwiw, I have a feeling there could be another twist in this story and we end up with Alex Neil.

Hughton has a really impressive pedigree and it is a great coup for the club if we get him. I'll fully support him and hope he does well but still have a few concerns about whether the type of football he played at Brighton would get the best out of players and I'm far from convinced that this appointment is the guarantee of success some seem to think.

He's clearly a very experienced and talented manager though and I'd pay attention if another club appointed him so hopefully he will do the job that others on here expect 

20 minutes ago, Olé said:

Informal Discussions

Mark Ashton: Do you want the job Chris?

Chris Hughton: Yes please.

Mark Ashton: Great! See you later!

Formal Discussions

Mark Ashton: Have you brought a PowerPoint?

Chris Hughton: No.

Mark Ashton: See you later!

Hopefully LJ has left his USB stick in the office drawer:

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Robins is more likely to play the youth and play great passing football.

I'm not against Hughton. I just don't think he's necessarily going to succeed under what he has to work with here.

Robins massively overachieved last season. Recruited excectionally well. Played great football. Team full of kids. Just seems right for what we need imo.

I think Robins is a reasonably sensible choice, but I think to push on as a club we need someone higher profile. We need someone who can galvanise the fans and increase our profile. I think the board understand this too, hence the names we've seemingly approached this time around.

My concern with Hughton is whether he can replicate the same achievements with a (presumably) smaller budget to work with. I don't think he'd come here without some assurances that our budget would be competitive though, so might not be an issue. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Hughton has a really impressive pedigree and it is a great coup for the club if we get him. I'll fully support him and hope he does well but still have a few concerns about whether the type of football he played at Brighton would get the best out of players and I'm far from convinced that this appointment is the guarantee of success some seem to think.

He's clearly a very experienced and talented manager though and I'd pay attention if another club appointed him so hopefully he will do the job that others on here expect 

Who is saying that CH guarantees success? I can’t see people saying that?  Just that he is seemingly the best option to go for it. But there are no guarantees, that’s for certain. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whoever we appoint the players have got to respect them. Like it or not players can wield a lot of power. 

The very reassuring thing about this potential appointment is that it's a firm signal of intent about our aspirations of promotion. Gerrard wouldn't join a club who didn't have promotion aspirations either and it looks like we were definitely interested in him too. 

Obviously all clubs presumably want promotion, but an appointment like this would indicate we want it in the next season or two. An appointment like Lowe (for example) wouldn't. 

An appointment like this is a statement. On paper he's the most sensible possible appointment out of the interested/available managers so lets hope we get it over the line before another club comes in.

Archived