IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What, because Hughton wasn’t my first preference?   

God no.

We have loads to offer at City but we are hardly a footballing hot bed. A Manager of Hughton's standing and proven success is not to be sniffed at. To say that you are 'deflated' at this prospect is hard for me to understand but each to their own and fair enough.

You also mention 'sustainable' and 'short term'. At this point we don't know that either of those would be an issue. Given Steve Lansdown's support he gave Lee, I can't see why it would be different for CH.

I would prefer CH over a Ryan Lowe type because I feel this is more of a gamble. A track record of Bury and sneaking promotion with Plymouth hardly sends the pulse racing for me. 

CH just feels the right fit. Not perfect but the best we could or should expect. Again, just my view though!

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Robins is a reasonably sensible choice, but I think to push on as a club we need someone higher profile. We need someone who can galvanise the fans and increase our profile. I think the board understand this too, hence the names we've seemingly approached this time around.

My concern with Hughton is whether he can replicate the same achievements with a (presumably) smaller budget to work with. I don't think he'd come here without some assurances that our budget would be competitive though, so might not be an issue. 

Why would Robins come here?  He only signed a new contract in October and as he has said ‘Coventry is in his blood’, He’s got Coventry promoted and they have just announced the proposals for a new stadium. Similar to what LJ was attracted to here.

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Didn't find it that interesting but thanks for sharing,

I'd question where they got the prices from, transfer centre by the looks of it,

I also though shaun Duffy was a free transfer

Just now, E.G.Red said:

Why would Robins come here?  He only signed a new contract in October and as he has said ‘Coventry is in his blood’, He’s got Coventry promoted and they have just announced the proposals for a new stadium. Similar to what LJ was attracted to here.

I wasn't advocating going for Robins, just responding to @JonDolman. You're better off asking him.

For the record, I think if we wanted him we could probably get Robins. He already knows SL and they apparently have a good working relationship. We're a more stable club than Coventry and on paper have a better chance of promotion. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The very reassuring thing about this potential appointment is that it's a firm signal of intent about our aspirations of promotion. Gerrard wouldn't join a club who didn't have promotion aspirations either and it looks like we were definitely interested in him too. 

Obviously all clubs presumably want promotion, but an appointment like this would indicate we want it in the next season or two. An appointment like Lowe (for example) wouldn't. 

An appointment like this is a statement. On paper he's the most sensible possible appointment out of the interested/available managers so lets hope we get it over the line before another club comes in.

I was about to post the very same thoughts. It doesn't have to be Chris Hughton, arguments can be made for others, but Hughton would be an appointment that would say to the rest of the football world that Bristol City are serious about achieving promotion...as opposed to hopeful.

11 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Much more dinero compared to waiting for a 19k stadium in 10 years time?

5 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

As many times as I like

if you don’t like it don’t read it

I'll read it and have the freedom of speech to comment on the amount of times you come on and use info that is in the public domain and use it to try and make it sound like you know something. Historically you have done it a number of times.

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Interview process,

When you apply for a job do you get an interview the next week or is it a month out?

Do we offer interviews for the 200 candidates that would prob apply

I would have thought that a short list would have been drawn up and those applicants on it out of work would have had a formal interview within 3 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Why 3 years? We don’t need a revolution....we just need to evolve . We are not a million miles off from being a top 6 team now 

Lansdown will be expecting top 6 next season 

Forget top 6, top 2 if we want promotion, play offs not our strength is it? Three years sounds perfectly reasonable, we need quality in depth, and at the moment we just don't have that. Johnson has left us very short in that regard, CH will if he comes sort that side of it out.

12 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Forest sack their manager today and move straight for Hughton leaving us looking at plan C 

Hmmm. Forest had SIX different permanent managers (plus countless caretakers) during the time LJ managed us. I know which I'd choose

Just now, red panda said:

Hmmm. Forest had SIX different permanent managers (plus countless caretakers) during the time LJ managed us. I know which I'd choose

Yep. Bristol city we might be an average champ club but when it comes to potential and stability we are right up there.

I see some people saying that he will want to bring in his own back room staff, I don’t know much about his career but is this what he has done before?

I am just interested in who his preferred coach is.

SORRY. I have just seen the Paul Trollope thread, so ignore me. 

5 minutes ago, red panda said:

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

Yep. Bristol city we might be an average champ club but when it comes to potential and stability we are right up there.

Yeah but somehow they always have good names showing interest in the job so their mad man of an owner isn’t enough to put people off 

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

It's a sign... it's a sign !!

(Monty Python)

I'm imagining Chris Hughton atop the Lansdown roof holding a shoe above his head.

Archived