Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Chris Hughton


Recommended Posts

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don’t know whether you are being serious or not, but, if you are (and are not referring to Mein Kampf), I can thoroughly recommend ´Hitler, a Study in Tyranny’, by the late A J P Tayl’or - probably a bit dated now, but a truly excellent and thoroughly enjoyable read.

Are we still discussing this on a Football thread FFS?!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor thing incidentally. Hughton has reportedly turned down a number of clubs over the last year because they weren't the right fit and he didn't seem them as the right job for him.

If this is confirmed then Ashton, Lansdown and the club deserve credit for turning this into a club that he seems a better prospect than those he has reportedly turned down. Hughton coming would not just be a good appointment but a statement of confidence in the direction of the club and what Lansdown is trying to build here. 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I hope so.

I'm thinking, a helicopter to fly down the Avon Gorge, over the suspension bridge. A quick cut to Nagy and Massengo standing on the suspension bridge watching the helicopter as it flies towards the Gate.

Then the rest of the players - bar Bentley - watching the helicopter hover over the stadium.

A figure jumps from the chopper and sky dives out, carrying a football.

The figure lands on the roof, kicks the ball off the roof down to the pitch towards the goal where Bentley saves it.

He then boots the ball up to the roof where it lands at the feet off the skydiver.

He traps the ball and the camera pans up to reveal "Welcome Chris Hughton".

What do you reckon?

Day Drinking ? 😅

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I hope so.

I'm thinking, a helicopter to fly down the Avon Gorge, over the suspension bridge. A quick cut to Nagy and Massengo standing on the suspension bridge watching the helicopter as it flies towards the Gate.

Then the rest of the players - bar Bentley - watching the helicopter hover over the stadium.

A figure jumps from the chopper and sky dives out, carrying a football.

The figure lands on the roof, kicks the ball off the roof down to the pitch towards the goal where Bentley saves it.

He then boots the ball up to the roof where it lands at the feet off the skydiver.

He traps the ball and the camera pans up to reveal "Welcome Chris Hughton".

What do you reckon?

I reckon you've started drinking early me old son 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I hope so.

I'm thinking, a helicopter to fly down the Avon Gorge, over the suspension bridge. A quick cut to Nagy and Massengo standing on the suspension bridge watching the helicopter as it flies towards the Gate.

Then the rest of the players - bar Bentley - watching the helicopter hover over the stadium.

A figure jumps from the chopper and sky dives out, carrying a football.

The figure lands on the roof, kicks the ball off the roof down to the pitch towards the goal where Bentley saves it.

He then boots the ball up to the roof where it lands at the feet off the skydiver.

He traps the ball and the camera pans up to reveal "Welcome Chris Hughton".

What do you reckon?

Not Nagy. 
:disapointed2se:

Link to post
Share on other sites

This pending appointment is a bit left field for us really.
At 61 it is quite conceivable that CH doesn’t even know what PowerPoint is let alone know how to use it.
Also I wonder if his eye sight is going to be good enough to successfully fly the drones?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Envelope addressed and stamp affixed....

July 23rd 2020

Dear Chris

Welcome to our club. Congratulations on being appointed as head coach.

We are sure you will quickly discover what a superb football club and city you have joined. We thought we could perhaps accelerate your learning by offering some thoughts from us, the fans. Therefore, what follows has been distilled from comments posted on our brilliant forum OTIB. Which no doubt was mentioned during your interview. In case not please do check it out: https://www.otib.co.uk

OTIB is home to 17,357 Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fan’s opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

We also want to invite you to help us to help you. Although what follows is fans communicating with you, please do communicate with us, throughout your tenure and be clear about the things that we the fans can do to fully support you and the team.

Welcome

So to start with a genuinely, warm Bristol welcome. One other thing to mention early on is we are Bristol City and although there is only One Team in Bristol lots of us do not take kindly to being called Bristol.

Success

It is an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really, really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ ‘entertainment,’ ‘excitement’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a lifetime of ups-and-downs as City supporters (it has been a roller coaster at times) and on occasions being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant,’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it is a convenient sound bite.

Recent times

Although this is about the future, we want to tale a brief look back at the recent past next. A fair few OTIB regulars have, for some time, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up by saying ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Others have recognised that Lee Johnson stabilised the club and worked tirelessly but that ultimately the time was right, for all concerned, for a change.

Your predecessor was keen to talk about our ‘identity’ and ‘DNA’, although, to be honest, very few of us could confidently describe any particular ‘identity’. Any attempt to describe our recent ‘identity’ would certainly not involve many positives. Under your leadership, we would be delighted to applaud and support a style of play that is attractive, discernible and effective.

The hierarchy

Our hierarchy has worked very hard over recent years to embed a sustainable mentality throughout the club and we are indebted to them, most especially Steve Lansdown CBE, for the commitment, financial backing, loyalty, stewardship and dedication they bring. We believe that you are very fortunate to enjoy their backing.

Becoming a legend in the South West

Given you have just arrived at BS3 the next point seems horribly premature; nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

We love pride, passion and attacking intent here. If that can bring us the long overdue success of achieving top-flight football again, then you will become a legend and we hold our legends in very high esteem. You would never need to purchase a glass of fermented apple juice again in your lifetime!

OTIB

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, while others suggest that might be a schoolboy error, feeling you should subscribe, as there is much benefit to be had from the combined thoughts of the OTIB community.

Home form

You will not need us to point out that our home record is an important issue to be resolved. Many of us travel away too and have enjoyed some memorable away days over the last couple of years. However, Ashton Gate is not the fortress it needs to be. The synergy between what is happening on and off the pitch is critical. There are certainly things that might help which we as fans can do e.g. make more noise and provide positive encouragement. There are things the players can do e.g. play exciting, effective football and show some passion and there are things the club can do e.g. rethinking the area set aside for travelling fans, enlivening the atmosphere in various ways such as:

  1. Extending the singing section.
  2. More interaction with the fans on a match day would gee up the crowd and by taking a few moments to ‘rally the troops’ before kickoff, at half time and at the final whistle always goes down well and will maximize what can be fantastic support from the home faithful.  Indeed, you could do a lot worse than to very publically announce that you would like to ‘get the crowd bouncing around the ground.’ Which, in an instant, would enable the continuity of one of our most effective and unique chants.
  3. Achieving the permanent inclusion of some seats allocated to home fans in the Atyeo stand.

The stats

The critical statistic is the number of points we have been behind the team that finished second in the table over recent seasons:

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

The match-day experience

Understandably, your focus will be on winning football matches; there are also a few off-field matters we would like to bring to your attention, although they will soon become apparent to you. Perhaps you could delegate somebody to sort out the appalling and legendary PA system at Ashton Gate, oh and please get ‘those lights’ turned off (you will soon know what we mean). While on the subject of basic match-day needs, a few of the internal concession outlets serving chips would most certainly go down well!

The rest

There were many other comments and suggestions, many of which were self- deprecating and testimony to the humour and banter within OTIB. Which is a rich blend of virtual terrace banter, informed, well considered debate, which is often incisive, forensic and spot-on, although sometimes banal and downright weird.

Finally

In summary, welcome, good luck, we look forward to entertaining football, which leads to promotion and please help us to help you and the team by communicating regularly with us and ensuring we really are the 12th man every time our team play.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

This pending appointment is a bit left field for us really.
At 61 it is quite conceivable that CH doesn’t even know what PowerPoint is let alone know how to use it.
Also I wonder if his eye sight is going to be good enough to successfully fly the drones?!

It can only add to the confusion in the corridor, and in and around the diag zone, which doesn't help anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It can only add to the confusion in the corridor, and in and around the diag zone, which doesn't help anyone.

I’m looking forward to hearing about how he is going to improve the box entries, if you like, at both ends of the pitch. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cardy said:

This pending appointment is a bit left field for us really.
At 61 it is quite conceivable that CH doesn’t even know what PowerPoint is let alone know how to use it.
Also I wonder if his eye sight is going to be good enough to successfully fly the drones?!

Excuse me !! I'm 61 and can certainly use power point. What else does the kettle plug into ?

Just now, lenred said:

I’m looking forward to hearing about how he is going to improve the box entries, if you like, at both ends of the pitch. 

You have to get the inches first

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cardy said:

This pending appointment is a bit left field for us really.
At 61 it is quite conceivable that CH doesn’t even know what PowerPoint is let alone know how to use it.
Also I wonder if his eye sight is going to be good enough to successfully fly the drones?!

****** ageist !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Envelope addressed and stamp affixed....

July 23rd 2020

Dear Chris

Welcome to our club. Congratulations on being appointed as head coach.

We are sure you will quickly discover what a superb football club and city you have joined. We thought we could perhaps accelerate your learning by offering some thoughts from us, the fans. Therefore, what follows has been distilled from comments posted on our brilliant forum OTIB. Which no doubt was mentioned during your interview. In case not please do check it out: https://www.otib.co.uk

OTIB is home to 17,357 Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fan’s opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

We also want to invite you to help us to help you. Although what follows is fans communicating with you, please do communicate with us, throughout your tenure and be clear about the things that we the fans can do to fully support you and the team.

Welcome

So to start with a genuinely, warm Bristol welcome. One other thing to mention early on is we are Bristol City and although there is only One Team in Bristol lots of us do not take kindly to being called Bristol.

Success

It is an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really, really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ ‘entertainment,’ ‘excitement’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a lifetime of ups-and-downs as City supporters (it has been a roller coaster at times) and on occasions being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant,’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it is a convenient sound bite.

Recent times

Although this is about the future, we want to tale a brief look back at the recent past next. A fair few OTIB regulars have, for some time, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up by saying ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Others have recognised that Lee Johnson stabilised the club and worked tirelessly but that ultimately the time was right, for all concerned, for a change.

Your predecessor was keen to talk about our ‘identity’ and ‘DNA’, although, to be honest, very few of us could confidently describe any particular ‘identity’. Any attempt to describe our recent ‘identity’ would certainly not involve many positives. Under your leadership, we would be delighted to applaud and support a style of play that is attractive, discernible and effective.

The hierarchy

Our hierarchy has worked very hard over recent years to embed a sustainable mentality throughout the club and we are indebted to them, most especially Steve Lansdown CBE, for the commitment, financial backing, loyalty, stewardship and dedication they bring. We believe that you are very fortunate to enjoy their backing.

Becoming a legend in the South West

Given you have just arrived at BS3 the next point seems horribly premature; nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

We love pride, passion and attacking intent here. If that can bring us the long overdue success of achieving top-flight football again, then you will become a legend and we hold our legends in very high esteem. You would never need to purchase a glass of fermented apple juice again in your lifetime!

OTIB

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, while others suggest that might be a schoolboy error, feeling you should subscribe, as there is much benefit to be had from the combined thoughts of the OTIB community.

Home form

You will not need us to point out that our home record is an important issue to be resolved. Many of us travel away too and have enjoyed some memorable away days over the last couple of years. However, Ashton Gate is not the fortress it needs to be. The synergy between what is happening on and off the pitch is critical. There are certainly things that might help which we as fans can do e.g. make more noise and provide positive encouragement. There are things the players can do e.g. play exciting, effective football and show some passion and there are things the club can do e.g. rethinking the area set aside for travelling fans, enlivening the atmosphere in various ways such as:

  1. Extending the singing section.
  2. More interaction with the fans on a match day would gee up the crowd and by taking a few moments to ‘rally the troops’ before kickoff, at half time and at the final whistle always goes down well and will maximize what can be fantastic support from the home faithful.  Indeed, you could do a lot worse than to very publically announce that you would like to ‘get the crowd bouncing around the ground.’ Which, in an instant, would enable the continuity of one of our most effective and unique chants.
  3. Achieving the permanent inclusion of some seats allocated to home fans in the Atyeo stand.

The stats

The critical statistic is the number of points we have been behind the team that finished second in the table over recent seasons:

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

The match-day experience

Understandably, your focus will be on winning football matches; there are also a few off-field matters we would like to bring to your attention, although they will soon become apparent to you. Perhaps you could delegate somebody to sort out the appalling and legendary PA system at Ashton Gate, oh and please get ‘those lights’ turned off (you will soon know what we mean). While on the subject of basic match-day needs, a few of the internal concession outlets serving chips would most certainly go down well!

The rest

There were many other comments and suggestions, many of which were self- deprecating and testimony to the humour and banter within OTIB. Which is a rich blend of virtual terrace banter, informed, well considered debate, which is often incisive, forensic and spot-on, although sometimes banal and downright weird.

Finally

In summary, welcome, good luck, we look forward to entertaining football, which leads to promotion and please help us to help you and the team by communicating regularly with us and ensuring we really are the 12th man every time our team play.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

image.gif.d9d3d4c34c33a2a8d8ddeabfaff4d319.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw an interview when he was at Norwich saying you have to find a formula that fits the players but also fits who you're playing against.

So we might have some different formations maybe depending on opponents. 442/4411/433 he has liked to play.

If Hughton does like a back 4, then I am hoping it is the same back 4 most games. Or at least the same centre back pairing.

I think once that and the goalie is settled then you can change things in front of that a little. Have an extra midfielder for away at Brentford for example.

I would love to see Kalas and Moore as a pair next season. They showed plenty of potential as a partnership this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JonDolman said:

Just saw an interview when he was at Norwich saying you have to find a formula that fits the players but also fits who you're playing against.

So we might have some different formations maybe depending on opponents. 442/4411/433 he has liked to play.

If Hughton does like a back 4, then I am hoping it is the same back 4 most games. Or at least the same centre back pairing.

I think once that and the goalie is settled then you can change things in front of that a little. Have an extra midfielder for away at Brentford for example.

I would love to see Kalas and Moore as a pair next season. They showed plenty of potential as a partnership this season.

I think both Kalas and Moore need a dominant CB with them

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • phantom changed the title to Chris Hughton

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...