IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surely it’s good to have people around the club in any capacity (like Tinnion and Murray) who have the club in their heart and can influence the current players?

It’s good to have the right people around the club, but they’ve got to have a job. If Carey was brought back, someone would have to be sacked so his job could be given to Carey, or a new job would have to be created. You can’t just keep creating new jobs for ex players or you’ll end up with a crazy bloated structure. 

14 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Not treated well at the end , by Cotterill and Lansdown, have spoken to him a few times was very bitter , it’s a bit better now , think if the right offer came in , in the right way , could be persuaded now 

In what way?

He limped along to the appearance record, seemingly a plan by the club to garner good publicity, and implemented by Cotts (perhaps against his better judgement) through short substitute appearances.

There was an inescapable impression at the time that the club were determined he would take the record whether he truly deserved it or not.

That's never sat well with me - Carey really should have been released at least a season before imo.

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's very impressive, rare to see a manager who receives almost unanimous goodwill on a forum like that. Even those with reservations also wish him well. 

I don't think we've had a manager who'd receive that on this forum. Alan Dicks is pre-forum era and before my time. Possibly Gary Johnson to an extent after he was sacked but not as comprehensive as that.

It pretty much confirms what most of us know anyway; and that is that CH is a very well respected in the football world, and a thoroughly decent man.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In what way?

He limped along to the appearance record, seemingly a plan by the club to garner good publicity, and implemented by Cotts (perhaps against his better judgement) through short substitute appearances.

There was an inescapable impression at the time that the club were determined he would take the record whether he truly deserved it or not.

That's never sat well with me - Carey really should have been released at least a season before imo.

He would of got the record naturally if he didn't piss off to Coventry on a free transfer chasing money

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

It pretty much confirms what most of us know anyway; and that is that CH is a very well respected in the football world, and a thoroughly decent man.

He comes across very well in that CV Stories video - worth a watch if you have a spare 20 mins. 

He has a fairly unique measured calmness but also confidence. 

Out of the managers since I've been watching regularly (Johnson SR, Coppell, Millen, McInnes, Cotterill, Johnson JR) - Hughton seems the most measured and genuine. 

I think he's the sort of man Lansdown will warm to and respect. His track record and experience means he knows what will be required and hopefully Ashton and Lansdown will listen to him if he wants changes. Cotterill was probably too abrasive and Johnson JR's relationship with the Lansdowns might have made it more difficult to raise problems and grievances.

On paper Hughton looks like a really sensible appointment. Someone to level the club up and an excellent fit. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's the sort of man Lansdown will warm to and respect. His track record and experience means he knows what will be required and hopefully Ashton and Lansdown will listen to him if he wants changes. Cotterill was probably too abrasive and Johnson JR's relationship with the Lansdowns might have made it more difficult to raise problems and grievances.

This could be a hindrance in the long term as we've seen with SL.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He comes across very well in that CV Stories video - worth a watch if you have a spare 20 mins. 

Out of the managers since I've been watching regularly (Johnson SR, Coppell, Millen, McInnes, Cotterill, Johnson JR) - Hughton seems the most measured and genuine. 

On paper Hughton looks like a really sensible appointment. Someone to level the club up and an excellent fit. 

Well said mate. I am still in doubt as to whether SL will take on someone as accomplished and experienced as Hughton, who didn't get his successes without being insistent on what he needed. Will SL defer to him and finally acknowledge that he must leave the football to those who know far more? I truly hope so. But as a character one cannot see how SL could have the slightest objection to the man.

Really hope this works out. It would be a major step forward for BCFC and SL.

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One or two maximum possibly 

It's still hard for some of us older fans to admit that Alan Dicks was right, soon after his appointment, in putting a stop to Big John dropping in on the team before a game at Ashton Gate. But it was definitely the right decision. Harry Dolman backed him in almost everything. Over-familiarity, parochialism, West Country tribalism, call it what you will and you can add Nepotism as well under SL. All of this has to stop if we want to be where we should be.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, yours is the Premier League and everything that’s in it 

Archived