IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

All the panic comments are hilarious. If you really want to get the right man in these things take time. And how much does Gregor really know? Likely to be a very small pool of people who REALLY know where we are in the process and you can’t imagine any of them will be running to Gregor to tell him anything. 

In the past few years we’ve become very savvy at smoke and mirrors regarding transfers, with the truth often surfacing out of the blue very shortly before a deal is done.

Trust the process. There’s no rush, presumably the squad are ‘broken up’ for some time now anyway. 

Also, formal ‘interviews’ are the last stage, we will have probably had multiple informal discussions with all candidates. If we want CH that badly I expect we’ve given him or his representatives some assurance that he’s our prime candidate. 

Good morning as a long term observer I have a bit of a conspiracy theory to raise.

If this 7-10 day process is true it does call into question the time spent so far. I get the impression, and I could be wrong, that very little has been done in terms of scrutiny and engagement in the managerial process, instead, all efforts had gone into getting Gerrard, ultimately putting the management process (bar SG work) on hold.

I wonder whether the whole process is actually really starting now.....now they have realised that SG is not going to happen. 

I can't think of a championship club that would so no to Chris Hughton, I think I read he has turned down 6 jobs in recent months. To miss this opportunity would equate to gross negligence as this opportunity does not come to Bristol city very often!!!

The fact we have been chasing Gerard who is at a club with European football and are now potentially sniffing at the opportunity of Hughton at the helm - who is a proven winner just smells of a disillusioned perspective of our own club and ego’s in the hierarchy 

11 hours ago, Lez said:

Bristol 98-2000

Magdalen 00-02

Columbia university 03

Princeton 04

Fantasist. With the lies and insecurities anyone would think you are Henbury Gas. Do you realise how much you trip yourself up? 

You have no semblance of what a debate is, you display that through your meagre offerings on this forum. 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I have absolutely nothing against the club doing their thorough diligence. And I suspect things are considerably more advanced than the Post knows, to be fair. 

The caveat used here of “up to” 7-10 days seems deliberate to induce meltdown (achieved) & also create traffic for a website to me.

Let’s face it, we don’t know what is going on, but it is not unreasonable to have moved on from Gerrard’s rejection in midweek in order to have someone in place by early next week.

Once we have a new man then all of this fury will either been seen to be fair or embarrassing.

Wtf is going on here??

How the hell are reports on this so conflicting?  Some papers were saying yesterday that the deal is done, now we have Gregor saying we’re interviewing 8 people including CH.

Surely those papers wouldn’t have published their stories unless they were pretty sure.

I wonder if Gregor has pissed the club off at some point and they’re feeding him some false info to make him look stupid, as both versions of the story can’t be right.  

Gregor does like to use the phrase ‘we understand’, so maybe he’s just been fed a couple of vague scraps and is trying to put them into a story.

This is sounding crazy and it’s hard to imagine why we would be interviewing eight other people if CH is really that close to signing ...... and why would a decision be 7-10 days away ffs!

Please City, don’t snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!!!

I've got no issue with us having 8 candidates if they are all of Chris Hughton's calibre, but if, after all these weeks we're still interviewing League 1 and League 2 managers, or rookies with limited experience, then I'd be seriously frustrated. Hughton might have other opportunities come his way this weekend...

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

All the panic comments are hilarious. If you really want to get the right man in these things take time. And how much does Gregor really know? Likely to be a very small pool of people who REALLY know where we are in the process and you can’t imagine any of them will be running to Gregor to tell him anything. 

In the past few years we’ve become very savvy at smoke and mirrors regarding transfers, with the truth often surfacing out of the blue very shortly before a deal is done.

Trust the process. There’s no rush, presumably the squad are ‘broken up’ for some time now anyway. 

Also, formal ‘interviews’ are the last stage, we will have probably had multiple informal discussions with all candidates. If we want CH that badly I expect we’ve given him or his representatives some assurance that he’s our prime candidate. 

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

I know let's sell it to the Chinese like wigan did or some local businessman like Bury did or how about the Russians like Portsmouth did,

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've got no issue with us having 8 candidates if they are all of Chris Hughton's calibre, but if, after all these weeks we're still interviewing League 1 and League 2 managers, or rookies with limited experience, then I'd be seriously frustrated. Hughton might have other opportunities come his way this weekend...

Just as long as one of the 8 is not your boy Pulis!

2 minutes ago, S_C said:

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

This. The Post are more concerned about generating hits and ad revenue than being an actual paper nowadays. Hence all the click bait articles from Hull.  I think GMG does a decent job but wouldn’t be surprised if this is about getting more clicks than actual fact

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

It's more of the same, Bristol Live has learned, Bristol Live understands, according to our sources and so on.

Bloke doesn't know bugger all about this if you ask me. Very few people will.

To know specifics such as 8 candidates, Gregor would need info from either Lansdowns/Ashton or an agent of a candidate. There's no other way he could make these claims.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I know we are all getting worked up a bit but arrogant despot Lansdown is NOT.

IF Gregor is right it perhaps indicates something may have been requested that is making us a bit twitchy, bigger transfer/wage budget perhaps, wanting the club to have a category 1 academy for example? Something that increases costs of the club at a time they need to be kept down.

Having said that KITR generally has a better success ratio than the post...

14 minutes ago, Davo370 said:

I hope one of them doesn't bring a PowerPoint presentation.

I've heard that there is one chap who has applied, that absolutely loves a PowerPoint presentation. Not quite sure of his previous experience, but I'm told that his name is John Leeson. 

Short fella, big bushy beard and a very large (almost fake looking) nose.

Reminds me of someone. Can't quite put my finger on it though.....

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

You also have employment law to consider 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One or two maximum possibly 

I think those two are the perfect ones too.

Tinman who is probably the best serving player in the modern era, 500+ games, probably the one most turn to if we say who was our favourite/best player over the last 30 years and for him to mentor and help the youth players.

And then Scotty who is probably the player who has connected with the fans the most over the last 30 years, is a character, likeable to players, but also has that experience with 300+ appearances for us so can also be a friendly ear to players should they need it.

Archived