Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's more of the same, Bristol Live has learned, Bristol Live understands, according to our sources and so on.

Bloke doesn't know bugger all about this if you ask me. Very few people will.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

All the panic comments are hilarious. If you really want to get the right man in these things take time. And how much does Gregor really know? Likely to be a very small pool of people who REALLY know where we are in the process and you can’t imagine any of them will be running to Gregor to tell him anything. 

In the past few years we’ve become very savvy at smoke and mirrors regarding transfers, with the truth often surfacing out of the blue very shortly before a deal is done.

Trust the process. There’s no rush, presumably the squad are ‘broken up’ for some time now anyway. 

Also, formal ‘interviews’ are the last stage, we will have probably had multiple informal discussions with all candidates. If we want CH that badly I expect we’ve given him or his representatives some assurance that he’s our prime candidate. 

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
Just now, southvillekiddy said:

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

I know let's sell it to the Chinese like wigan did or some local businessman like Bury did or how about the Russians like Portsmouth did,

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've got no issue with us having 8 candidates if they are all of Chris Hughton's calibre, but if, after all these weeks we're still interviewing League 1 and League 2 managers, or rookies with limited experience, then I'd be seriously frustrated. Hughton might have other opportunities come his way this weekend...

Just as long as one of the 8 is not your boy Pulis!

2 minutes ago, S_C said:

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

This. The Post are more concerned about generating hits and ad revenue than being an actual paper nowadays. Hence all the click bait articles from Hull.  I think GMG does a decent job but wouldn’t be surprised if this is about getting more clicks than actual fact

I wonder if SL is going to repeat his biggest clanger at City.

Pulis chosen over Moyes!

No multi interviews when LJ was appointed. So why when we have an absolutely stand out candidate?

If this is fact of course. It could just be creative journalism.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

It's more of the same, Bristol Live has learned, Bristol Live understands, according to our sources and so on.

Bloke doesn't know bugger all about this if you ask me. Very few people will.

To know specifics such as 8 candidates, Gregor would need info from either Lansdowns/Ashton or an agent of a candidate. There's no other way he could make these claims.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I know we are all getting worked up a bit but arrogant despot Lansdown is NOT.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

IF Gregor is right it perhaps indicates something may have been requested that is making us a bit twitchy, bigger transfer/wage budget perhaps, wanting the club to have a category 1 academy for example? Something that increases costs of the club at a time they need to be kept down.

Having said that KITR generally has a better success ratio than the post...

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Davo370 said:

I hope one of them doesn't bring a PowerPoint presentation.

I've heard that there is one chap who has applied, that absolutely loves a PowerPoint presentation. Not quite sure of his previous experience, but I'm told that his name is John Leeson. 

Short fella, big bushy beard and a very large (almost fake looking) nose.

Reminds me of someone. Can't quite put my finger on it though.....

• Haha 1

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

You also have employment law to consider 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One or two maximum possibly 

I think those two are the perfect ones too.

Tinman who is probably the best serving player in the modern era, 500+ games, probably the one most turn to if we say who was our favourite/best player over the last 30 years and for him to mentor and help the youth players.

And then Scotty who is probably the player who has connected with the fans the most over the last 30 years, is a character, likeable to players, but also has that experience with 300+ appearances for us so can also be a friendly ear to players should they need it.

• Robin 1

IF true... How is it taking them 3 (three) weeks to draw up a shortlist? When there’s a pool of max 100 candidates. And how is the shortlist 8? That’s a large amount for the real world, let alone in a position where CVs are much more transparent. 

We’ve already talked about deliberation vs procrastination. This does not bode well.  

I also mentioned board unity earlier. At a point where vision and clarity are essential, it sounds like we have bureaucracy and dithering. 

If there is any truth in this, then it’s an absolute shambles. It would have been good to see the new head coach in and over seeing the last couple of games.

Hopefully someone at the club has is having a good laugh at McGregors/the EPs expense and the reality is that this is all done and dusted. 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

IF true... How is it taking them 3 (three) weeks to draw up a shortlist? When there’s a pool of max 100 candidates. And how is the shortlist 8? That’s a large amount for the real world, let alone in a position where CVs are much more transparent. 

We’ve already talked about deliberation vs procrastination. This does not bode well.  

I also mentioned board unity earlier. At a point where vision and clarity are essential, it sounds like we have bureaucracy and dithering. 

Thats how every professional business in the Western world works, 

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I wonder if SL is going to repeat his biggest clanger at City.

Pulis chosen over Moyes!

No multi interviews when LJ was appointed. So why when we have an absolutely stand out candidate?

If this is fact of course. It could just be creative journalism.

Wasn’t it Scott Davidson who appointed Pulis?

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Strange some media outlets were reporting its was done now apparently its 7-10 days away and might not be CH. Maybe CH met with city yesterday and he and the club have different visions . 

Or maybe we pissed about trying to get SG and someone else has now come in and sounded Hughton out.

Edited by Kibs
5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Thats how every professional business in the Western world works, 

Well its how very few football clubs work. Three weeks rudderless, pre-pre season opportunity lost. NO plan whatsoever for replacing LJ, just fire him and ‘cross that bridge when we get to it’. 

i have recruited about 30 people to very senior positions in my time. In my experience middle management jobs take a long time to fill, very senior levels nowhere bear as long because you know what you want and the candidate pool is so much smaller. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Hopefully this is either..

1) Gregor doing what his bosses want...clickbait

or

2) Spin from the club who want it to look like they’ve taken their time and interviewed everyone available before coming to a decision...rather than just saying “listen Chris, the job’s yours, we’ll announce it formally next week after the news of these redundancies has died down”.

What concerns me is that the club either don’t really know who they want OR Hughton has decided against it for whatever reason. I’m more inclined to think the latter as pretty reliable posters on here have seemed very confident that he’s getting the job.

20 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

@Harry any idea?

I’m not hearing anything on this at the mo. Doing some digging. 

My thoughts are thus :

What we do know is that Hughton was spoken to over a week ago. He has a particular salary requirement. He’d also have particular requirements over the areas he would oversee. 
Those areas may step on some other toes. 

We know that Flynn was spoken to over a week ago. He’d ‘exactly’ fit the structure. 

We know that Gerrard was being pursued. He’d have been a combination of Hughton & Flynn - ie expensive, but fits the structure. 

I’m thinking that Gerrard was first choice without a shadow of doubt. Hughton they know will be the sensible 2nd choice, but there are stumbling blocks over areas of responsibility, ie insistence on playing youth, control over transfers, player wage budget... 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1
  • phantom changed the title to Chris Hughton