IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only Hughton though, hence my excitement/prematurity last night! Still encouraging though, I think. Assuming Hughton impresses today they can't keep him waiting on a decision long. 

I'm not doubting what you were told but the formalities today post wasn't true then?

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maybe interviewed the others yesterday...?! 

Interviews have been running for a while, AFAIK, my guess is we're onto second interviews now.

2 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

I'm not doubting what you were told but the formalities today post wasn't true then?

It sounds like it ain't gonna be done today...

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only Hughton though, hence my excitement/prematurity last night! Still encouraging though, I think. Assuming Hughton impresses today they can't keep him waiting on a decision long. 

So you were the instigator of posters ‘jumping to conclusions’  that earned me numerous negative emojis? 

1 hour ago, One Team said:

who the hell in any industry has a short list of 8 interview candidates?!

It's certainly unusual in a lot of senior jobs because interviews should not be scattergun, but the result of lots of pre-qualification to ensure candidates fit the requirements, in theory you should already be prepared to hire anyone you interview, it shouldn't be an exercise in qualification but finding who is best in a shortlist.

However I imagine as administrators and executives in a football club, the inflexion point between managers is a rare opportunity to legitimately sample the views of a lot of interesting or experienced people and to tap into their wider networks which might be useful in future - the interview is just an excuse to meet them.

The thing I find even weirder than the 8 interviewees, is that we're doing this now. In any important role you set a plan based on when you want someone in role and schedule the relevant activities backwards from there. In that approach, what on earth is on the plan before "interview the candidates" that has taken 3 weeks!?!

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interviews have been running for a while, AFAIK, my guess is we're onto second interviews now.

Always a good move to interview the best candidate first when there are several, or better still last. ??

48 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

This is what the article actually says, "Robbie Fowler is believed to be another, and Dean Holden could well be interviewed "

I'm failing to see where it states either of them IS getting an interview.

Jesus RRH, just **** off with your salient facts, how are people supposed to get all uppity if they don’t fall for complete bullshit rumours? 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So you were the instigator of posters ‘jumping to conclusions’  that earned me numerous negative emojis? 

I think you "earned" those negative emojis yourself by your negative and obnoxious posting style.

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's certainly unusual in a lot of senior jobs because interviews should not be scattergun, but the result of lots of pre-qualification to ensure candidates fit the requirements, in theory you should already be prepared to hire anyone you interview, it shouldn't be an exercise in qualification but finding who is best in a shortlist.

However I imagine as administrators and executives in a football club, the inflexion point between managers is a rare opportunity to legitimately sample the views of a lot of interesting or experienced people and to tap into their wider networks which might be useful in future - the interview is just an excuse to meet them.

The thing I find even weirder than the 8 interviewees, is that we're doing this now. In any important role you set a plan based on when you want someone in role and schedule the relevant activities backwards from there. In that approach, what on earth is on the plan before "interview the candidates" that has taken 3 weeks!?!

And if we only interview hughton and he turns us down, we get the same posters stating we have no plan and are a laughing stock and should of interviewed more people

The club can do nothing right to some 

54 minutes ago, Taz said:

8 candidates, go....

1. Hughton

2. McCarthy

3. Jokanvic

4. Daum 

5. Fowler

6. Lowe

7. Flynn

8. Cooke

9. Holden

That's off the top of my head, in about 30 seconds. Yes I know there's 9, but that just shows how easy it is to get a large number from just some of the names that have been mentioned, on here, and excludes the people who have distanced themselves (Gerrard, Cowley).

Do we really have a shortlist of 8, or is someone making up a list and consequently a story? A shortlist of 8, is not really short is it.

If it takes another 7-10 days, then that will be about 4 weeks without a head coach. 

Also don't buy the Holden may get an interview as well "given his fine job in the last weeks of the season". We beat a few teams lower down the league, and still struggled against a few better ones.

Don't believe everything you read.

8? John, Paul, George, Ringo, Milligan, Cleese, Everett, Sessions.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And if we only interview hughton and he turns us down, we get the same posters stating we have no plan and are a laughing stock and should of interviewed more people

The club can do nothing right to some 

Yep. People are comparing this to Nketiah. That would be more appropriate if Hughton was the only person we considered for 3 weeks and then he says no.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

EFL Championship will start on the 12th of September. Slightly off topic 

But but but we've wasted months and there isn't enough time to get a good preseason and a squad together eventhough the season ended 3 days ago

On OTIB, we’ve always believed there to be a distinctly 15er bias at the Post, due to sags holding senior positions. Is it not possible that GMac has been told to write this to drive up advertising revenue whilst “winding up those pesky teds on a Friday afternoon “? Were the roles reversed and I were in charge of the Post’s sports desk (perish the thought) that’s exactly what I’d do!

1 hour ago, Taz said:

8 candidates, go....

1. Hughton

2. McCarthy

3. Jokanvic

4. Daum 

5. Fowler

6. Lowe

7. Flynn

8. Cooke

9. Holden

That's off the top of my head, in about 30 seconds. Yes I know there's 9, but that just shows how easy it is to get a large number from just some of the names that have been mentioned, on here, and excludes the people who have distanced themselves (Gerrard, Cowley).

Do we really have a shortlist of 8, or is someone making up a list and consequently a story? A shortlist of 8, is not really short is it.

If it takes another 7-10 days, then that will be about 4 weeks without a head coach. 

Also don't buy the Holden may get an interview as well "given his fine job in the last weeks of the season". We beat a few teams lower down the league, and still struggled against a few better ones.

Don't believe everything you read.

So the status quo could be Daum, Daum, deeper and Daum.

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

FWIW, My hunch is that Hughton has proved himself to be the outstanding candidate on reputation, integrity, previous results and experience. They've probably covered that already in quick time. MA would have been beavering away behind the scenes doing diligence and talking to past chairmen who've employed him and players/coaches who've played or been coached by/with him.
I believe there is some aspect of CH's approach and methodology which makes the club uneasy. It won't be his salary. If he's as good as everyone says he is then the prize at the end will pay for it anyway.

I think there is a sticking point - whether it be over his choice or say on transfers, playing academy lads who've come through or his choice of coaching staff which is holding this up.
When you take the emotion, hysterics and impatience out of the equation, he is the only real proven logical choice. 

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

I think those 3 weeks were one of 2 things :

1) To coincide with the end of the season, enabling us to interview managers already in a job elsewhere

or

2) We spent the whole time chasing Gerrard and now finally realise we need to move on 

4 minutes ago, spasmcasm said:

FWIW, My hunch is that Hughton has proved himself to be the outstanding candidate on reputation, integrity, previous results and experience. They've probably covered that already in quick time. MA would have been beavering away behind the scenes doing diligence and talking to past chairmen who've employed him and players/coaches who've played or been coached by/with him.
I believe there is some aspect of CH's approach and methodology which makes the club uneasy. It won't be his salary. If he's as good as everyone says he is then the prize at the end will pay for it anyway.

I think there is a sticking point - whether it be over his choice or say on transfers, playing academy lads who've come through or his choice of coaching staff which is holding this up.
When you take the emotion, hysterics and impatience out of the equation, he is the only real proven logical choice. 

I think you could well be right, but the fact are CH has got a club from the championship into the premiership. SL, JL and MA have not. So listen to CH and go with it

2 minutes ago, spasmcasm said:

Exactly this. 
As I’d mentioned a few pages back. 
I’m convinced they’re having to consider changes to the ‘structure’ to accommodate Hughton. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway (both players AND staff). The board may want Holden, McCallister, Mountain etc to all remain but Hughton may want his own staff. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway for youth. Hughton may be steadfast on this and say “if you want promotion you have to fund it, I can’t play Morrell all season if you want promotion)”. 
The ‘model’ suggests Ashton controls recruitment policy. Hughton may be asking for more control over targets. 

This is the classic situation where the potential best candidate for the role doesn’t actually fit the culture. 

My best guess is that they’re having to make some serious considerations to a change of structure, that might step on a few toes or put a few noses out of joint. 
This is a question of control. Who’s in charge of what. 

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No I think you’ve earned the reputation of getting negative emojis on your own. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 
As I’d mentioned a few pages back. 
I’m convinced they’re having to consider changes to the ‘structure’ to accommodate Hughton. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway (both players AND staff). The board may want Holden, McCallister, Mountain etc to all remain but Hughton may want his own staff. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway for youth. Hughton may be steadfast on this and say “if you want promotion you have to fund it, I can’t play Morrell all season if you want promotion)”. 
The ‘model’ suggests Ashton controls recruitment policy. Hughton may be asking for more control over targets. 

This is the classic situation where the potential best candidate for the role doesn’t actually fit the culture. 

My best guess is that they’re having to make some serious considerations to a change of structure, that might step on a few toes or put a few noses out of joint. 
This is a question of control. Who’s in charge of what. 

There has to be an agreed consensus everyone is happy and comfortable with.
Square pegs won't fit in rigidly round holes!!!

If it comes down to it. If you look at what MA has achieved in the game, and what CH has achieved in the game, it shouldn’t be a terrible idea to give CH input on transfers etc. 

i mean no disrespect to MA, he knows far more about football than I do, but surely part of what you are getting with CH is the ability to spot a player and knows what he wants. 

people often said tgat part of our problem has been MA signing players that couldn’t play the way LJ wanted, so give CH full rein. Why wouldn’t you?

Archived