IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

If it comes down to it. If you look at what MA has achieved in the game, and what CH has achieved in the game, it shouldn’t be a terrible idea to give CH input on transfers etc. 

i mean no disrespect to MA, he knows far more about football than I do, but surely part of what you are getting with CH is the ability to spot a player and knows what he wants. 

people often said tgat part of our problem has been MA signing players that couldn’t play the way LJ wanted, so give CH full rein. Why wouldn’t you?

It wouldn't be the first time policies have changed at the club, problem is some people will use it as a stick to beat the club with 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 
As I’d mentioned a few pages back. 
I’m convinced they’re having to consider changes to the ‘structure’ to accommodate Hughton. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway (both players AND staff). The board may want Holden, McCallister, Mountain etc to all remain but Hughton may want his own staff. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway for youth. Hughton may be steadfast on this and say “if you want promotion you have to fund it, I can’t play Morrell all season if you want promotion)”. 
The ‘model’ suggests Ashton controls recruitment policy. Hughton may be asking for more control over targets. 

This is the classic situation where the potential best candidate for the role doesn’t actually fit the culture. 

My best guess is that they’re having to make some serious considerations to a change of structure, that might step on a few toes or put a few noses out of joint. 
This is a question of control. Who’s in charge of what. 

A change to the set Up is required, it’s failed miserably to achieve its aim (if  promotion is the aim).

Just seven weeks until the season starts, loan players gone back, OOC players have left, a lot of work to do to get a squad together to challenge from day one and the CEO and owner have wasted time on pursuing a manager who was never going to leave his current club for us.

If there are seriously eight potential managers / coaches to be considered I’d love to know their names.

6 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

If it comes down to it. If you look at what MA has achieved in the game, and what CH has achieved in the game, it shouldn’t be a terrible idea to give CH input on transfers etc. 

i mean no disrespect to MA, he knows far more about football than I do, but surely part of what you are getting with CH is the ability to spot a player and knows what he wants. 

people often said tgat part of our problem has been MA signing players that couldn’t play the way LJ wanted, so give CH full rein. Why wouldn’t you?

I would…:fear: 

Just now, Countryfile said:

A change to the set Up is required, it’s failed miserably to achieve its aim (if  promotion is the aim).

Just seven weeks until the season starts, loan players gone back, OOC players have left, a lot of work to do to get a squad together to challenge from day one and the CEO and owner have wasted time on pursuing a manager who was never going to leave his current club for us.

If there are seriously eight potential managers / coaches to be considered I’d love to know their names.

its main aim is to make the club more sustainable and to develop players it hasnt failed its worked,

Season on season improvement is proof of that, the first season we failed to improve and it cost the head coach his job,

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 
I’m convinced they’re having to consider changes to the ‘structure’ to accommodate Hughton. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway (both players AND staff). The board may want Holden, McCallister, Mountain etc to all remain but Hughton may want his own staff. 
The ‘model’ suggests a pathway for youth. Hughton may be steadfast on this and say “if you want promotion you have to fund it, I can’t play Morrell all season if you want promotion)”. 
The ‘model’ suggests Ashton controls recruitment policy. Hughton may be asking for more control over targets. 

This is the classic situation where the potential best candidate for the role doesn’t actually fit the culture. 

My best guess is that they’re having to make some serious considerations to a change of structure, that might step on a few toes or put a few noses out of joint. 

Think your right, maybe the problem is Hughton doesn’t want Ashton !!

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

its main aim is to make the club more sustainable and to develop players it hasnt failed its worked,

Season on season improvement is proof of that, the first season we failed to improve and it cost the head coach his job,

Well maybe this is the problem.

You think the main aim is sustainability, I think promotion should be the main aim, from which sustainability can be achieved and maintained.

If for instance we had told Brownhill that he could leave at the end of the season if we didn’t achieve promotion, do you think we might now be in the play offs at least?

I genuinely don’t think he would have thrown his toys out of the pram with that promise In place and we would have a better chance of achieving my main aim.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 

I don't believe Ashton 'controls' the policy. My opinion is that the manager, scouts, analysts, MA get together and discuss the merits of which players are required/interesting. Then the manager and MA have to explain their judgement to SL & JL who give the final sign off on what the maximum it is they are willing to spend on wages + transfer fee, then its MAs job to get the lowest possible transfer fee accepted, then up to the manager and MA to convince the player its the right move to them. I believe that's roughly what MA explained is how it works in an interview a few years ago. If people don't want to believe that and think its a lie or cover up, then that's their issue, not the clubs.

Do I want a manager alone to be in charge of who we buy and how much for? No - then we'd be worryingly close to Redknapp at Portsmouth. The manager will always want to best players they can get and would pay for that - its not their money.

Just now, Countryfile said:

Well maybe this is the problem.

You think the main aim is sustainability, I think promotion should be the main aim, from which sustainability can be achieved and maintained.

If for instance we had told Brownhill that he could leave at the end of the season if we didn’t achieve promotion, do you think we might now be in the play offs at least?

I genuinely don’t think he would have thrown his toys out of the pram with that promise In place and we would have a better chance of achieving my main aim.

Promotion is the aim, but we had a hell of alot of catching up to do,

Look where the club were 5 years ago and where it is now,

If we had kept brownhill we wouldn't of made the playoffs because johnson didn't have a clue, he chopped and changed too much, we had no id, no formation no attacking intent

Lansdowns problem is he is too loyal to head coaches/managers its the only thing about his ownership i would change

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Anyone know what the Clubs stance is on the present coaching staff?

Are any potential new managers being asked to work with what we have or are they being allowed to bring in their own team?

I guess this would be a fundamental stumbling block as to who comes here.

If Houghton was to come here I wouldn't be surprised to see some Bame candidates interviewed for coaching roles...

I think it’s safe to assume no one “knows” anything to be honest!

17 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Pugh,Pugh,Barney McGrew,Cuthbert,Dibble and Grubb.

Oh and Hughton of course.

11 minutes ago, daored said:

Think your right, maybe the problem is Hughton doesn’t want Ashton !!

Could anyone blame him for tuning his back on this fiasco of recruiting a new manager. And if they want to lump  the Johnson  team on his back then he would be mad to take it. They are part of the Johnson era and should be consigned to history. 

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Could anyone blame him for tuning his back on this fiasco of recruiting a new manager. And if they want to lump  the Johnson  team on his back then he would be mad to take it. They are part of the Johnson era and should be consigned to history. 

How is it a fiasco? The post has been empty for 3 weeks, interviews are taking place today, how is that a fiasco

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

No-one knows what's going on.  It only seems a 'fiasco' because we were given wrong information and let to expect an announcement in the last couple of days.  That's led to all kinds of ridiculous theories about the reason for the apparent (but probably non-existent) delay.

As with any job application process, Hughton (and other applicants) will have been told the timescales.  I for one am pleased that concrete information isn't leaking from the club, even if that means that the press, this forum and everywhere else is filled with wild speculation and people putting two and two together to make five.

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How is it a fiasco? The post has been empty for 3 weeks, interviews are taking place today, how is that a fiasco

Because we have an outstanding candidate who has the experience of winning promotion to the Premiership and after 3 weeks  of the process he is apparently in a shortlist of 8 and had not had a formal interview. I consider that a fiasco. Also the chances are someone will come in for him or he will  get tired of waiting. Potentially a wonderful opportunity missed. 

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Because we have an outstanding candidate who has the experience of winning promotion to the Premiership and after 3 weeks  of the process he is apparently in a shortlist of 8 and had not had a formal interview. I consider that a fiasco. Also the chances are someone will come in for him or he will  get tired of waiting. Potentially a wonderful opportunity missed. 

I consider it following the correct process in interview candidates for a job,

Do you know everyone we are interviewing?

For all you know wenger could of applied for the job

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think the club set up has worked very well.

Could have been done better for sure. Any mistakes we have made I hope we are learning from.

The main thing is LJ seems to have been the wrong man for the job.

But look at our squad that came back from lockdown. That's some squad to put together and staying comfortably within FFP rules, even making a profit!

I am sure some managers would have got us into the playoffs with that squad, and who knows from there what could have happened.

I have said I do not want Hughton in because I don't think he suits our set up.

I'm guessing on that of course, so might be wrong, just like people might be wrong that he is the right man.

But for me I want someone who has overachieved with very little backing, and someone that plays great passing football with young players.

It has to be passing football for me because that is more entertaining to watch, but more importantly it suits the young players we have.

We have very hard working, short, techinical players, many of which would suit Bielsa type football. High possession and relentless pressing.

I can't imagine Moore, Vyner, Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics with the likes of Dasilva, Palmer, Wells being great in a pragmatic side.

I know Hughton played decent stuff at Brighton when they got promoted, but I really can't imagine him really going 100% with a Leeds or Brentford way of playing. Which is kind of what I am looking for.

If Hughton does get the job then I am pretty sure he will be backed, and some of those young players we have will be sold or loaned out.

So being backed to bring in experience is in one way a good thing that many fans will want. Not sure if we really need much though when I look at our current squad.

Maybe Hughton will prove to me to be different to what I am expecting. I hope so.

This could yet be the case- and to be fair some of his underlying stats at home are quite good- or certainly were in his 2 and a half seasons at Brighton!

Possession, I've not looked into in any great depth yet for the two full seasons but early signs suggested more promising than assumed- shot dominance is a useful starting point.

Remember when Cotts joined, he was typecast as long ball? Time out the game and he brought that great League One style to us- over 90 goals, over 90 pts and a Sheffield United under Wilder type setup.

Hughton has had some time out, it's entirely possible he may have modified a few of his thoughts, have a bit more possession- bit more trust of youth,

Rowett another, at Millwall his style much more varied than Birmingham, Derby, possibly Stoke.

Even, though he's a joke- Hollowhead- when he had time out, went to watch European clubs train, top clubs here and had Blackpool playing a strong brand.

The more I think about this, the less I think it will be Chris Hughton.

Ive watched the Coaches Voice video of Hughton, he comes across as someone very genuine, very fair, Intelligent but won’t put up with any **** and doesn’t fools gladly.

I just can’t see Hughton wanting to work with someone like Mark Ashton. MA has got some good transfers over the line but my god doesn’t he love the sound of his own voice and spout some shite.

And likewise, I’m not sure I can see Mark Ashton wanting someone like Chris Hughton. Someone who’s done far more in the game than him, someone who will challenge him, someone who’s opinion will be worth more and someone who is respected far more than him.

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see that relationship working.

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 

Great post Harry. This is my thinking as well. This is why this appointment will tell us everything we need to know about the clubs plans for the future.

does lansdown want the prem or what? If Hughton isn’t the man and we get another yes man on the end of Ashton and lansdowns puppet strings we need to just accept mid table and lansdown needs to shut the **** up about premier league football.

jam tomorrow as always with city

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

plus...pre season starts before you can blink your eyes....a new Manager/Head Coach may want to look at the pool of available talent at the club....decide he wants to to buy....oh damn...the transfer window has closed....January typically is a shocking transfer window, so basically no wortwhile "ins" for 12 months....what a waste!!! I really cant figure why the board weren't surreptitiously sounding out other candidates and had someone ready to take over before LJ was sacked. Timing is everything and we're about to fritter away 12 months

1 minute ago, Kibs said:

MA has got some good transfers over the line but my god doesn’t he love the sound of his own voice and spout some shite.

I've only heard his voice when the club have released an interview with him, which doesn't seem to be too often. Do you want him to be interviewed using sign language?

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I've only heard his voice when the club have released an interview with him, which doesn't seem to be too often. Do you want him to be interviewed using sign language?

Anything that’ll help. 

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I consider it following the correct process in interview candidates for a job,

Do you know everyone we are interviewing?

For all you know wenger could of applied for the job

I still believe that he is  an outstanding candidate and should have been snapped up. As for who else has applied only time will tell. But Wenger must have fallen on hard times if he has applied!!

Archived