IGNORED

Mark Robins

Kid in the Riot

Not seeing him being discussed much - is he the elephant in the room?

Got Coventry playing some of the best football in L1 last season on a limited budget and in unbelievably difficult circumstances I.e. not being able to play at their home ground. 

L1 manager of the season and league winner.

Already getting the best out of one of our squad members, in a key position. 

Ex-player, and a popular one at that. Enjoyed his time at Ashton Gate.

Has played top-flight football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Surname is Robins (!) 

And perhaps most significantly has a very good relationship with Steve Lansdown and has been a confidant of the board in the past.

Also has Championship level experience and has done ok given he has never worked with a significant budget like he'd have here.

Has to be in the conversation?

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Am I right in thinking , cov is the only place he’s had success ? More of a worry would be if another of lansdown’s mates got the job . If that’s the case , you’d seriously have to consider if he’s doing what’s right for the club in managerial terms. 

I like the fact that he's done his apprenticeship in the lower leagues and last season proves that he's getting things right. I think he's earned his chance at a bigger club, no disrespect to Cov, and now could be the right time for him to come here. 

I think he’s our number one target , like @Kid in the Riot says has a relationship with the club / SL. Coming to us after getting Coventry promoted - no reason to suggest he couldn’t be in charge by weekend, their season has finished once compensation agreed. Can see him leaving Coventry , the club is in a mess and makes his promotion all the more successful

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's certainly one of the more likely "lower league" names, I'd say. 

To be run by Ashton & Robins is a chance that Steve Lansdown can't afford to miss :bounce:

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Got Coventry playing some of the best football in L1 last season on a limited budget and in unbelievably difficult circumstances I.e. not being able to play at their home ground. 

L1 manager of the season and league winner.

Already getting the best out of one of our squad members, in a key position. 

Ex-player, and a popular one at that. Enjoyed his time at Ashton Gate.

Has played top-flight football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Surname is Robins (!) 

And perhaps most significantly has a very good relationship with Steve Lansdown and has been a confidant of the board in the past.

Also has Championship level experience and has done ok given he has never worked with a significant budget like he'd have here.

Has to be in the conversation?

I firmly expect Robins to be at the front of SL’s thinking, even if he should set his sights higher. 

Of the lower league possibilities, this is the one that stands out for me, mainly for reasons that @Kid in the Riot points out.

I'd prefer us to be going for someone who has done it at this level and/or above, because we are in the best position we have been in for years (possibly ever when you think of the finances, ground/Infastructure), and a wrong appointment now could set us back years. May end up being never able to get into this position again if we mess it up......

For that reason, along with the fact that SL has done it with the Bears, and can see quite clearly whats going on when you do spend the money and get the best in, I'm hedging my bets with a bigger appointment.

Robins for me though, is the favourite "lower league/cheaper option".

Whatever we do, whoever we appoint, we just can't mess this up now. I seriously believe it's now or never.

21 minutes ago, Stedge said:

Success in League 1 doesn’t equal success in the Championship. Remember our first season back in this league?

I guess the aligned counter point to that is that success in the championship doesn't always equal future success in the championship.

Basically it's a massive jigsaw puzzle with people taking pieces off the puzzle while your trying to build it - sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesn't. 

44 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Am I right in thinking , cov is the only place he’s had success ? More of a worry would be if another of lansdown’s mates got the job . If that’s the case , you’d seriously have to consider if he’s doing what’s right for the club in managerial terms. 

Depends how you define success. I'd say he punched above his weight with Rotherham, Barnsley and his first spell at Coventry and he kept Huddersfield up in tough circumstances if I recall. Don't think he's been promoted before now but he's usually got more out of his teams than other managers might in the same circumstances. 

Sorry but now is the time for experience over potential. Balls this appointment up and we are in real danger of undoing much of the good work over the last few years in terms of our stature. 

Time for a statement of intent. I have nothing against Robins per se, but for me it’s absolutely the right time for us to go in a different direction. 

28 minutes ago, TomF said:

Was very close to the job when we eventually appointed Mcinnes

...which would allow SL to say 'I've always had my eye on him, spotted him years ago, always destined to become a manager here' etc etc etc...weaving himself into their professional journey, which seems to be attractive to him.

It would say something about the ambition of the club - or lack of it -  if, just as it all seems to be coming together off the pitch, we spurned experienced leaders who've been and done it at the highest level for another punt on someone unproven. 

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

...which would allow SL to say 'I've always had my eye on him, spotted him years ago, always destined to become a manager here' etc etc etc...weaving himself into their professional journey, which seems to be attractive to him.

It would say something about the ambition of the club - or lack of it -  if, just as it all seems to be coming together off the pitch, we spurned experienced leaders who've been and done it at the highest level for another punt on someone unproven. 

This, 100%. 

We will learn a lot about SL’s true ambition in the coming weeks. 

I've got to admit that I'd be a bit deflated by Robin's getting the job. 

He's got a lower league profile, and whilst he could still be a genius, I'd like the insurance of knowing the next gaffer has been there and done it at our level and preferably above. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've got to admit that I'd be a bit deflated by Robin's getting the job. 

He's got a lower league profile, and whilst he could still be a genius, I'd like the insurance of knowing the next gaffer has been there and done it at our level and preferably above. 

No different to Wilder a few seasons ago. All managers have to start off somewhere. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry but now is the time for experience over potential. Balls this appointment up and we are in real danger of undoing much of the good work over the last few years in terms of our stature. 

Time for a statement of intent. I have nothing against Robins per se, but for me it’s absolutely the right time for us to go in a different direction. 

Whilst I understand your comment about statement of intent - no manager is guaranteed to succeed despite what they may have or have not achieved in the past. I mentioned on another thread , Chris Wilder - teams managers prior to Sheffield United - Alferton, Halifax , Oxford & Northampton hardly inspiring. Sometimes it isn’t the name it’s the fit he’s taken them from league 1 to competing for a European slot. 

I’m sure there were many fans complaining about his appointment at the time. 

One of the biggest constant criticisms of Johnson was that he wasn’t experienced at this level. It was levelled at him even after 100+ games at this level with us. 

Somewhat odd if we’re giving it ‘well they all start somewhere’ when it’s someone who isn’t LJ.

From my simple perspective, we can’t afford the risk of going backwards and getting dragged back down out of the ‘playoff contenders’ bracket to the ‘strugglers’ bracket. 

It’s time for SL to match the investment of the stadium, playing staff, facilities with the appointment of a proven, experienced manager who will enhance the reputation of the club. 

I backed him as soon as the odds came out for the same reasons @Kid in the Riot makes in the OP. Personally I would be 6.5 / 7 out of 10 happy with this appointment if it were to happen, although it wouldn't be the glamourous "proven Championship manager"  or exciting big-name high profile yound manager there is some basis of a track record to look back on. I don't get the argument about a track record at Championship level, surely a managers ability to get the best out of his resources and set a team up tactically to play to their stregths are universal regardless of which league you are in?

1 minute ago, daored said:

Whilst I understand your comment about statement of intent - no manager is guaranteed to succeed despite what they may have or have not achieved in the past. I mentioned on another thread , Chris Wilder - teams managers prior to Sheffield United - Alferton, Halifax , Oxford & Northampton hardly inspiring. Sometimes it isn’t the name it’s the fit he’s taken them from league 1 to competing for a European slot. 

I’m sure there were many fans complaining about his appointment at the time. 

Completely agree. But Wilder really is a complete outlier. 

Let’s not forget that ‘unproven’ LJ took us from guaranteed relegation to nearly-men in terms of top six. That was deemed not good enough. 

The minimum expectation for this squad should not change next season because there’s a new man in charge. It’s a big ask of someone with no experience at this level and no real track record beyond his last job. 

Investing in a manager with real experience at this level not only gives you that slightly better chance, but crucially brings a certain clout/reputational boost that can only help us in the summer window if we’re serious about going for top six next season. 

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Have we not learned something (instructive) about it with his decisive action this weekend? 

My thoughts too. As soon as it was obvious that top six was beyond us he wasted no time pulling the trigger. To be fair to him he set his expectation, and against all of my instinct, he ruthlessly stuck to his word.

This is what gives me hope that not only will it be a proven appointment, but they were essentially sounded out before it even happened, as the timing is odd otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One of the biggest constant criticisms of Johnson was that he wasn’t experienced at this level. It was levelled at him even after 100+ games at this level with us. 

Somewhat odd if we’re giving it ‘well they all start somewhere’ when it’s someone who isn’t LJ.

From my simple perspective, we can’t afford the risk of going backwards and getting dragged back down out of the ‘playoff contenders’ bracket to the ‘strugglers’ bracket. 

It’s time for SL to match the investment of the stadium, playing staff, facilities with the appointment of a proven, experienced manager who will enhance the reputation of the club. 

Exactly.  All this talk of lower league managers - Flynn being by far the most worrying - is hopefully just talk. Whilst I have nothing against Lowe, Robins, Ainsworth it’s going to down a well trodden route and whilst it may work, it provides far less of a chance and this time it really feels that we need a manager that’s commensurate with everything else that’s going on at the club.  Still think it will be Hughton personally. 

Archived