IGNORED

Mark Robins

Kid in the Riot

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Completely agree. But Wilder really is a complete outlier. 

Let’s not forget that ‘unproven’ LJ took us from guaranteed relegation to nearly-men in terms of top six. That was deemed not good enough. 

The minimum expectation for this squad should not change next season because there’s a new man in charge. It’s a big ask of someone with no experience at this level and no real track record beyond his last job. 

Investing in a manager with real experience at this level not only gives you that slightly better chance, but crucially brings a certain clout/reputational boost that can only help us in the summer window if we’re serious about going for top six next season. 

I agree the expectation will be top six not season, whoever comes in will have to hit the ground running. I believe we will have a new manager in place for Saturday to assess the squad at matches and training ready for next season 

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Have we not learned something (instructive) about it with his decisive action this weekend? 

Time will tell! On the basis of SL's track record I'm not overly optimistic. I'd hardly have said that getting rid this weekend was decisive, LJ's weaknesses were evident a couple of years ago. He was never going to get us promoted.

However, many on here, the majority perhaps, believed that he could....I imagine that the same people will have faith in any lower league manager SL might choose. I'd prefer some demonstrable evidence that the next appointment is capable of delivering success at this level.

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One of the biggest constant criticisms of Johnson was that he wasn’t experienced at this level. It was levelled at him even after 100+ games at this level with us. 

Somewhat odd if we’re giving it ‘well they all start somewhere’ when it’s someone who isn’t LJ.

From my simple perspective, we can’t afford the risk of going backwards and getting dragged back down out of the ‘playoff contenders’ bracket to the ‘strugglers’ bracket. 

It’s time for SL to match the investment of the stadium, playing staff, facilities with the appointment of a proven, experienced manager who will enhance the reputation of the club. 

Exactly, one of the biggest statements made on this forum was that he had taken us 'as far as he can' so why then get behind managers who have similarly not done the same. Come on, get a grip FFS, we need a Hughton or McCarthy or similar with getting us farther than Lee could.

54 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve got £25 at 20/1. 

The good football but is what draws me to him as my preferred choice. It’s also be a bonus to tie down Walsh to a long term deal. 

I’d worry if one of the main reasons to appoint him is because of one player, no matter what his potential is like. A good 6 months with us and he’d be off anyway 

Whoever takes over, I'm not expecting miracles next season.

The team is bloated in some areas, and threadbare in others. With no doubt Elliasson and Fammy on their way.

It'll be a season of change, with the financial constraints of covid coming to the fore.

Moving forward the focus for me will be the 21-22 season.

Does anyone know where they are goibg to suspend FFP for a season to allow for the suspension/virus. Can't see too many teams being able to hit their financial targets in the current climate. 

If we don’t go for the name like Hughton, Jokanovic or McCarthy, I’d be surprised if SL is even considering anyone other than Robins from the up and coming managers category tbh.  

He’s certainly got a lot going for him and seems like an almost perfect fit in many areas and certainly has a hugely better record than LJ did when he came here.

First problem is, the Coventry fans absolutely love him and  seem to think he’s totally committed to the development of the club, especially if they can secure a new stadium.  To be fair, if Coventry do get the stadium problems sorted, you could argue a move to us would be a sideways, or possibly backward step anyway, so you can’t.be sure he’d come.

Imho, this is the defining appointment for SL.  Does he go down his usual route, or really go for it, as he’s done with Bristol with Pat Lam?

This next appointment will confirm to the fans how ambitious SL really is for this football club and could just be the final piece in the jugsaw, if he gets it right.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not seeing him being discussed much - is he the elephant in the room?

Got Coventry playing some of the best football in L1 last season on a limited budget and in unbelievably difficult circumstances I.e. not being able to play at their home ground. 

L1 manager of the season and league winner.

Already getting the best out of one of our squad members, in a key position. 

Ex-player, and a popular one at that. Enjoyed his time at Ashton Gate.

Has played top-flight football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Surname is Robins (!) 

And perhaps most significantly has a very good relationship with Steve Lansdown and has been a confidant of the board in the past.

Also has Championship level experience and has done ok given he has never worked with a significant budget like he'd have here.

Has to be in the conversation?

For me, the championship is the hardest division to get out of, if you're not in receipt of parachute payments.

The only way normally (Sheff utd aside), is to massively go for it (Wolves, Bournemouth, Brighton, Fulham) all racked up huge losses for the season to get over the line.

You only have to look at the clubs that come up from L1, and struggle to adapt. Normally they form the basis of the clubs that go down; and this season is no different.

The same could be said for managers. I like Robbins; he comes across very well, and hasn't complained about the stadium position at all this season. It is however a massive risk to take a chance on an unproven championship manager at this stage.

You only have to look at Ipswich's experience with Hurst. Did amazing work at Shrewsbury, but in essence he was out of his depth straight away.

Whoever takes over the team, has some rebuilding to do. The team is unbalanced, and a number are coming into the last year of their contracts.

Creatively, we are poor; and have strangely conceeded far too many goals this season. I would never have picked that as being an issue at the start.

The city job, is a fantastic opportunity for a manager to fulfil the project; with a supportive board, and a great infrastructure. It will be however be a massive undertaking for the reasons stated above.

In my opinion, we have to employ a manager now who has experience/success of managing a club of our size/level in the championship. 

There's too much at stake to take a chance on the next appointment. Hopefully the board will be thinking along the same lines.

30 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Does anyone know where they are goibg to suspend FFP for a season to allow for the suspension/virus. Can't see too many teams being able to hit their financial targets in the current climate. 

There will have to be allowances made Neil, surely? Matchday revenue etc disappearing off a cliff-edge will have to allowed for. I just hope it's done in a structured way so as not to allow the more unscrupulous clubs to take advantage. 

43 minutes ago, lenred said:

Exactly.  All this talk of lower league managers - Flynn being by far the most worrying - is hopefully just talk. Whilst I have nothing against Lowe, Robins, Ainsworth it’s going to down a well trodden route and whilst it may work, it provides far less of a chance and this time it really feels that we need a manager that’s commensurate with everything else that’s going on at the club.  Still think it will be Hughton personally. 

I would agree with you all the names that have been mentioned it's probably too big a job for them and someone like Wellens or Lowe maybe be a good choice for a Ipswich or Sunderland when they have another shake up if things don't go well in League one next season. Money dosen't seem to be an issue with your chairman so attarcting the likes of Hughton should be fairly easy but like all clubs whoever is chosen will never please everybody 

43 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Whoever takes over, I'm not expecting miracles next season.

The team is bloated in some areas, and threadbare in others. With no doubt Elliasson and Fammy on their way.

It'll be a season of change, with the financial constraints of covid coming to the fore.

Moving forward the focus for me will be the 21-22 season.

I am a City supporter for over fifty years I never expect miracles.

I too have placed my only bet on Robins (@ 23’s).

Feels, in a way, a bit like betting on your opponents to win. 

Like others, just feel he is a perfect Lansdown ‘fit’ (with the benefit of having successfully managed one of our ‘rising stars’). However, I just think we need that ‘hard edge’ with Championship promotion experience, someone who is going to command/demand respect in the dressing room, can quickly weed out the physically and mentally weak players and, above all, knows a formation, drills it and then fits round pegs in round holes. 

Onwards and upwards, although I suspect next season will be one of transition and we may even have to take one step back. Don’t mind that if I can see some ‘hope’, a shape and identity to our play, consistent performances from players and a bit of attractive, entertaining football. 

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My thoughts too. As soon as it was obvious that top six was beyond us he wasted no time pulling the trigger. To be fair to him he set his expectation, and against all of my instinct, he ruthlessly stuck to his word.

This is what gives me hope that not only will it be a proven appointment, but they were essentially sounded out before it even happened, as the timing is odd otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Time will tell! On the basis of SL's track record I'm not overly optimistic. I'd hardly have said that getting rid this weekend was decisive, LJ's weaknesses were evident a couple of years ago. He was never going to get us promoted.

However, many on here, the majority perhaps, believed that he could....I imagine that the same people will have faith in any lower league manager SL might choose. I'd prefer some demonstrable evidence that the next appointment is capable of delivering success at this level.

As I see it, SL acting now, with 5 games to play this season (when many of his staunch supporters on this forum were saying we should wait until the season is over before assessing things, or even give Lee 10 to 12 games next season) tells us that his ambition is fine. No dither, or no more dither, act now to give us the best chance next season.

The appointment of a replacement, though, this will say something about SL's judgement  not his ambition 

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Robins tactics at Coventry maybe suit our players. 3421.

Likes to play it out the back. So Taylor Moore would suit that. Maybe we would need one more centre back of that type.

Wing backs suits Dasilva and Hunt, though I would want an improvement on Hunt personally.

Walsh obviously played very well and will know his set up. Could Morrell partner him? They were both exceptional in league one this season. Hoping Massengo develops under new manager and gets in the side.

Having 2 number 10s suits Palmer, Szmodics or Paterson.

And up top he likes a lone poacher who makes runs in behind. Well that is Wells.

Eliasson and Diedhiou don't seem to suit how Robins played at Coventry but I reckon they're both off anyway.

I know he may have different ideas with different players. But how Coventry played seems to fit nicely with what we have.

That’s interesting.

Having sat down and looked at our squad, that’s a formation I thought could work... but Fammy and Elliason wouldn’t fit, arguably the two players who have put in our best performances over the Season, plus our midfield players are thin on the ground, plus I’m not convinced by Hunt in that role or Dasilva- who in that position, is prone to being targeted for ‘ones over the top’. 

Having considered the formation/players in detail, came to the conclusion it wouldn’t work .... along with 50,000 other permutations. This is why, we are where we are! We haven’t recruited to a formation, just seemed ad hoc, randomness, resulting in chaos and failure. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Am I right in thinking , cov is the only place he’s had success ? More of a worry would be if another of lansdown’s mates got the job . If that’s the case , you’d seriously have to consider if he’s doing what’s right for the club in managerial terms. 

I looked at his stats the other day. Think he's lost more then he's won in 3 of his 6 jobs. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One of the biggest constant criticisms of Johnson was that he wasn’t experienced at this level. It was levelled at him even after 100+ games at this level with us. 

Somewhat odd if we’re giving it ‘well they all start somewhere’ when it’s someone who isn’t LJ.

From my simple perspective, we can’t afford the risk of going backwards and getting dragged back down out of the ‘playoff contenders’ bracket to the ‘strugglers’ bracket. 

It’s time for SL to match the investment of the stadium, playing staff, facilities with the appointment of a proven, experienced manager who will enhance the reputation of the club. 

You've got to remember different posters think different things though. Certainly, for all my issues with LJ, lack of experience was never one of them.

The reality is that everyone says "we need experience" but, when you look at promotions to the Premier League over the last ten years, experience is one of the worst predictors of success that there is. Lots of managers without experience have gone up, lots with experience have not.

We might make the appointment right or we might not but, if we base it on experience as a key criteria in the belief that will get us promoted, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment and failure. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You've got to remember different posters think different things though. Certainly, for all my issues with LJ, lack of experience was never one of them.

The reality is that everyone says "we need experience" but, when you look at promotions to the Premier League over the last ten years, experience is one of the worst predictors of success that there is. Lots of managers without experience have gone up, lots with experience have not.

We might make the appointment right or we might not but, if we base it on experience as a key criteria in the belief that will get us promoted, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment and failure. 

Too right some posters think differently - I recall long arguments with those who thought Keith Millen a cracking appointment! We have many supporters who worship at the shrine of Lansdown, despite a pretty miserable track record whoever he blesses will get their devotion. I have no expectations, we are, after all, supporters of one the most perennially unsuccessful English clubs. I prefer experience in the next manager because there is at least some reason to believe that a Chris Hughton will be able to replicate success he's created before. 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Was very close to the job when we eventually appointed Mcinnes

I would have liked him as manager then, but that was then, and now is now. We need to go for someone with more top level experience. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not seeing him being discussed much - is he the elephant in the room?

Got Coventry playing some of the best football in L1 last season on a limited budget and in unbelievably difficult circumstances I.e. not being able to play at their home ground. 

L1 manager of the season and league winner.

Already getting the best out of one of our squad members, in a key position. 

Ex-player, and a popular one at that. Enjoyed his time at Ashton Gate.

Has played top-flight football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Surname is Robins (!) 

And perhaps most significantly has a very good relationship with Steve Lansdown and has been a confidant of the board in the past.

Also has Championship level experience and has done ok given he has never worked with a significant budget like he'd have here.

Has to be in the conversation?

Think that if approached he would consider the position. Cant be happy with not playing at their own stadium may help

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's one I want. Played great football at Coventry and with such a young team.

People talk about levels of football. Which could be important. But if a manager does brilliantly in league one, I don't see why they can't do well in championship. 

The opposition level is harder but his own players will be better than what he had at Coventry.

Cotts. Brilliant in L1 but would've relegated us thst first season. It is a different level and I feel some managers only succeed in lower leagues. 

Archived