IGNORED

Arne Slot

daored

A new name on the betting field Arun Slot:

Slot played as midfielder for PEC Zwolle, NAC Breda and Sparta Rotterdam, and begun his coaching career in 2013, working as a youth coach at PEC Zwolle for a year, before being appointed as an assistant coach at Cambuur, a position he held until 2017. He was then hired by AZ as an assistant to John van den Brom, before being promoted to head coach in 2019

On the face of it, seems to have done an impressive job at AZ so far. Given their current stature, is it a realistic appointment?

I know it's a very tenuous link at the moment, but if we are casting our net further afield, then it inspires some confidence in the process.

31 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

On the face of it, seems to have done an impressive job at AZ so far. Given their current stature, is it a realistic appointment?

I know it's a very tenuous link at the moment, but if we are casting our net further afield, then it inspires some confidence in the process.

Yes I hope we are doing our due diligence and looking abroad. It’s clear that you can find success that way. Staying with UK managers limits our options.

Given that we haven’t been afraid of overseas player recruitment in recent seasons, you’d think we would look further afield.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes I hope we are doing our due diligence and looking abroad. It’s clear that you can find success that way. Staying with UK managers limits our options.

Given that we haven’t been afraid of overseas player recruitment in recent seasons, you’d think we would look further afield.

Exactly this. If we are buying players abroad let's have a look at managers as well.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Never heard of him but looks like he's doing a good job with AZ.

Certainly wouldn't rule out an appointment from abroad.

I'm wondering if we could get lucky with Kalifa Cissé connections abroad.

Yes I would love for us to look abroad. This has been discussed in the past before LJ was gone about potential replacements. When people ask who do you bring in. Always said there are names we don’t know or haven’t heard of out there that would make a good appointment. 

Another factor which may lead to a foreign coach being more likely is that the way clubs are set up outside of the UK are often more similar to ours. 

It's more common to find a DoF or someone in a similar role to Ashton. 

I think a big drawback for the likes of Hughton or McCarthy is a reluctance to work under a system where people like Ashton have a big say in transfers. This is why I think we may lean towards an up-and-coming coach who'd be grateful for the opportunity (Lowe) or a foreign coach who's more use to a set up like ours. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

From 1992/3 season to end of 2015/16:

The average league ppg for the Premier League - 

Overseas coaches: 1.66        British/Irish coaches 1.29

This equates to 14 more points per 38 game season for overseas coaches.

Average ppg for EFL -

Overseas managers/coaches: 1.49   Brit/Irish managers/coaches: 1.36

This equates to 6 points more for overseas coaches over 46 games. On average.

British/Irish coaches were given on average more time "to get it right" (on average 86.3 matches) compared to overseas coaches (58.2) in this period. In other words English clubs set the bar higher for overseas coaches but they still perform better.

The mistake we made with Benny Lennartsson was not in trying our first overseas coach but in giving up on this completely when the first attempt failed.

Thing is, can Ashton pick an overseas coach to suit? Not straightforward. If he cannot, then do we need a more "wordly" or international (internationally connected) CEO?

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Slot has his Akmaar team playing incredible football. From a purely entertainment point of view I hope it’s him assuming he can replicate! Worth checking articles and YouTube videos on him

Yep, just watched a few games on youtube. If he came here and we could play like that I'd be very happy! Gets my vote.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Not sure how I feel about a manager wearing jeans. Sure I could live with it if we’re winning.

Depends if they’re normal jeans or skin tight stretchy things like the numpty on the dustbin thread.

10 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Not sure how I feel about a manager wearing jeans. Sure I could live with it if we’re winning.

It’s not just jeans I would be worried about.

The guy needs to get a light for his walk-in wardrobe

23E186A7-5466-4DBF-A0F3-B69F3E884210.jpeg

0C5870E3-A73D-4404-B844-2A1B1819FC4C.jpeg

11 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Christ, the stats on him make lovely reading. Only 9 losses all season (5 in the league) and prior to the Dutch league being voided they were 2nd and level on points with Ajax. 

So is it realistic at all to think that he would want to come to us at this point? 

I would argue it would be better to stay where he is and attempt to knock Ajax off their perch.

Archived