IGNORED

Arne Slot

daored

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

So is it realistic at all to think that he would want to come to us at this point? 

I would argue it would be better to stay where he is and attempt to knock Ajax off their perch.

You never know with football these days. Did anyone think we’d see Bilic and Bielsa in this league? 
Philip Cocu won the title (3 times in a row!) with PSV and now he’s at Derby. Getting into the PL is evidently a big lure.

6 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

You never know with football these days. Did anyone think we’d see Bilic and Bielsa in this league? 
Philip Cocu won the title (3 times in a row!) with PSV and now he’s at Derby. Getting into the PL is evidently a big lure.

Neither were in a job though. Bielsa was sacked by Lille a year earlier and sued by Lazio a year before that! So arguably needed the reputation boost. 

Cocu was an impressive appointment but also out of work.

7 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Given how highly rated he is, there's no way he'd come to a mid-table Championship side. He'd be targeting clubs in the first divisions any of the other top five leagues.

Not sure, we could definitely pay him more than he’s on now. His name has been mentioned for a couple of big vacancies ie Benfica.

I think we do the club a disservice - we’d be a very intriguing proposition to someone like him. The Prem is seen as the pinnacle in world football to many, he could be managing in it with us within a year. It would look like a fantastic challenge.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a feeling he is our man. Nothing in it at all, just a gut feeling.

I wouldn’t usually bother posting my gut feeling - but I was the first person on here to predict LJ would be our manager after Cotts was sacked well before it being talked about in the press. ?

I guess he may see us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I’d be surprised if we were to get Hughton I just think the way our club is set up won’t appeal 

4 minutes ago, daored said:

I guess he may see us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I’d be surprised if we were to get Hughton I just think the way our club is set up won’t appeal 

Same. That’s why I think someone like Slot is more likely. If we were run in a more conventional way with a manager having total control then someone like Hughton would be more realistic. I just can’t see someone like him or Mick McCarthy working under those conditions.

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Another factor which may lead to a foreign coach being more likely is that the way clubs are set up outside of the UK are often more similar to ours. 

It's more common to find a DoF or someone in a similar role to Ashton. 

I think a big drawback for the likes of Hughton or McCarthy is a reluctance to work under a system where people like Ashton have a big say in transfers. This is why I think we may lean towards an up-and-coming coach who'd be grateful for the opportunity (Lowe) or a foreign coach who's more use to a set up like ours. 

Mick McCarthy worked under a Director of Football at Ipswich - Dave Bowman. 

Chris Hughton worked under a technical director at Brighton - Dan Ashworth. 

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Same. That’s why I think someone like Slot is more likely. If we were run in a more conventional way with a manager having total control then someone like Hughton would be more realistic. I just can’t see someone like him or Mick McCarthy working under those conditions.

Speaking to someone at the club yesterday who said Hughton and McCarthy wouldn't fit how City work so Slot could fit the vacant Slot.

20 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

I think we will look to Europe for our next first team coach.  Hopefully an improvement on Benny.

If we're looking to Europe, another name to throw into the mix - Bruno Lage.

Training ground coach who brings through young players and who coached many of the age groups Benfica developed into stars.

Knows the Championship and Premiership as became assistant to Carlos Carvahal at Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea. Went back to Benfica and unexpectedly became manager via a caretaker spell and won the title last season while bringing in players from the youth system and breaking all sorts of records for wins and goals.

Was top of the table this season but all gone wrong since January and gone on a terrible run (sound familiar) and resigned, but arguably President had under invested in team this season and they hit a wall. He will have offers in Europe but with his knowledge of England and background working with younger players, an option.

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Did either of those two have as much day to day influence and say in transfers as Ashton is said to have though?

Slot would be ideal. Another name to throw into the hat of 'probably unrealistic but you never know' contenders is Pepijn Lijnders.  Coincidence or not, Liverpool's upturn seemed to  start after his appointment.  Like all of the names, there is risk attached and some exceptional assistants have proven they don't always make good managers.  

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Perhaps it’s the type of relationship that’s important. The whole Lansdowns/Johnson(s)/Ashton thing always felt a little weird. Maybe we can move to a more challenging, less matey, more professional version of the model... but can the hierarchy handle that? 

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did either of those two have as much day to day influence and say in transfers as Ashton is said to have though?

Almost certainly, I'd have thought. The days of one man deciding which players are signed are gone and both Hughton and McCarthy will be well aware of that.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Almost certainly, I'd have thought. The days of one man deciding which players are signed are gone and both Hughton and McCarthy will be well aware of that.

That's promising then, I was under the impression that Ashton's role might prevent us from bringing in more experienced established managers. 

I think the working relationship between the person in the Ashton role and the manager is crucial though. He seems to me like the type who could rub people up the wrong way.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don’t really get this concern about Ashton’s role. Surely the recruitment research is far too big now for a full time coach to supervise it in addition to running the first team? And as I understand it, LJ had a veto on any players he didn’t want the club to sign. So, OK, he wouldn’t have found his own recruits, but he wouldn’t have had unwanted players foisted on him either.

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don’t really get this concern about Ashton’s role. Surely the recruitment research is far too big now for a full time coach to supervise it in addition to running the first team? And as I understand it, LJ had a veto on any players he didn’t want the club to sign. So, OK, he wouldn’t have found his own recruits, but he wouldn’t have had unwanted players foisted on him either.

The issue is we don't know for sure. We don't know which players were identified by Ashton and whether it's true LJ had a veto. It's harder to measure the success of Ashton's role because we can't quantify this very easily.

If you read between the lines of posts from posters on here who clearly know their stuff - Ashton has had considerable influence, favoured specific agents and foisted players on LJ who he didn't necessarily want.

38 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Do we not have lists of players ready to fill every position, with first preference (say, Webster, of our cb options) and then second (Elliason? in the wing options), third (Jack Hunt, rb options) and Lee too often has to settle for and then work with his second, third or fourth choice from the identified possibilities? 

The first options typically going to bigger fish than us, but we always have others to turn to.

Something like that....

19 hours ago, David Brent said:

Not sure how I feel about a manager wearing jeans. Sure I could live with it if we’re winning.

Seems to be a trend now, saw Nagelsmann the RB Leipzig manager wears a Nike t shirt jeans and trainers. Saw Arteta wore casual clothes against Wolves too

11 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Do we not have lists of players ready to fill every position, with first preference (say, Webster, of our cb options) and then second (Elliason? in the wing options), third (Jack Hunt, rb options) and Lee too often has to settle for and then work with his second, third or fourth choice from the identified possibilities? 

The first options typically going to bigger fish than us, but we always have others to turn to.

Something like that....

You make it sound as if LJ drew up these lists and then had to make do with a budget option when Messi was not available. That’s a bit flippant but I don’t think that’s how it works, is it? I thought the research team trawled the football world for players who met their playing criteria, then that would be narrowed  down until there’s a shortlist for the CEO and coach to consider.

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn’t usually bother posting my gut feeling - but I was the first person on here to predict LJ would be our manager after Cotts was sacked well before it being talked about in the press. ?

I remember reading that, and quickly making you aware of my incredulity at such a preposterous idea!

Incredulity which turned to utter bewilderment when your prediction unfathomably came true!! :gaah:

On 06/07/2020 at 15:49, Moments of Pleasure said:

The mistake we made with Benny Lennartsson was not in trying our first overseas coach but in giving up on this completely when the first attempt failed.

Thing is, can Ashton pick an overseas coach to suit? Not straightforward. If he cannot, then do we need a more "wordly" or international (internationally connected) CEO?

To be fair, Lee Johnson certainly seemed to talk a good game ?.

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Based on this, I’ve committed £10 at 25-1. 

Given my normal betting record, that rules him out.

However, I did have £5 each way on Serpentine to win the Derby at 22-1!

Archived