IGNORED

A deafening silence?

mozo

Players will have been told in no uncertain terms to stay away from social media, such is the way of things these days.

If one person says how much they liked him and others don't, it brings about all sorts of awkward news stories and rumours.

In terms of the board, we won't hear anything until a new manager is appointed, and all press conferences will be "we're just focusing on the next game" etc

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I think that's right. Whereas with SO'D it was instant and seemingly genuine upset that he'd gone, but no doubt didn't go down well with the powers that be.

i was lucky enough to play under SOD for another team great man great coaching ideas just didnt work here 

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Well first of all they would have known that this was likely to happen so could have been prepared for the PR.

Second, in the age of Twitter it's pretty commonplace for an owner or chairman to tweet something respectful. 

Third, presume the players have been gagged (not in a perverted way).

There has never been a reason for players to make a statement when a manager / head coach is sacked ... why would you expect them to do so? Football players just want to play football, they really appreciate being given clear, concise, non-bullshit instructions about how to play and that’s about it ... they couldn’t give a toss who’s at the helm ...

10 hours ago, mozo said:

Do we not think it's weird that the club has issued only a brief statement about the Johnson sacking, the players have been silent and the Lansdowns have kept quiet? 

Do we just sack, forget and move on or is more to come?

Maybe they've done the right and decent thing and contacted him personally ?

An outmoded concept I know.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There has never been a reason for players to make a statement when a manager / head coach is sacked ... why would you expect them to do so? Football players just want to play football, they really appreciate being given clear, concise, non-bullshit instructions about how to play and that’s about it ... they couldn’t give a toss who’s at the helm ...

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe they've done the right and decent thing and contacted him personally ?

An outmoded concept I know.

Yeah it's just the way of the world nowadays for almost everyone in football to use social media for PR. Must say I'm not a big social media user myself, other than talking shit on a forum!

Tripled the wage bill and spent millions to get to a negative goal difference and mid table. The club made a reasonable statement. No need for anything else. SC got less , so what did you expect ? Thanks and good riddance. The players ? Well some, some, will miss him. Others, well good job he was not in war, he would have been going over the top alone. Coaching not bad, leadership zero. 

30 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

SOD did impress a lot of players with his coaching knowledge . Not a number 1 though

Bournemouth, Doncaster and perhaps Nottingham Forest fans might beg to differ?

That said it seemed to go wrong for him at Walsall too but he has- or had pre us- a pretty reasonable career as a manager/head coach. Maybe the latter more applicable in his case?

6 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Where is he now ? Great coach . Not a number 1. LJ is the same. 

Went to shit after joining us...happened to a few managers in that few years. Did Coppell ever manage again? Not that it was wrong to get rid clearly!

Think O'Driscoll took Bournemouth up and had them quite a good footballing side, took them into League One- okay he took them down before back up.

Steering Doncaster into the Championship is an excellent achievement- keeping them there for several seasons even more so! A great footballing side to watch under him at times, can't have had a big budget. Harsh sacking!

According to Wiki, he was sacked just after Boxing Day with Nottingham Forest. They'd beaten Leeds 4-2 and in the playoffs. Harsh sacking!

Quite true about the coaching side though, think he may well be better at that- Cotterill did keep Nottingham Forest up but some of that perhaps down to Sean O'Driscoll's coaching.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Went to shit after joining us...happened to a few managers in that few years. Did Coppell ever manage again? Not that it was wrong to get rid clearly!

Think O'Driscoll took Bournemouth up and had them quite a good footballing side, took them into League One- okay he took them down before back up.

Steering Doncaster into the Championship is an excellent achievement- keeping them there for several seasons even more so! A great footballing side to watch under him at times, can't have had a big budget. Harsh sacking!

According to Wiki, he was sacked just after Boxing Day with Nottingham Forest. They'd beaten Leeds 4-2 and in the playoffs. Harsh sacking!

Quite true about the coaching side though, think he may well be better at that- Cotterill did keep Nottingham Forest up but some of that perhaps down to Sean O'Driscoll's coaching.

Players really rated SOD as a coach. But a disaster with people. Horses for courses. LJ the same. Can become a great number two , at the very highest level also . Just not a number 1. 

14 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Players really rated SOD as a coach. But a disaster with people. Horses for courses. LJ the same. Can become a great number two , at the very highest level also . Just not a number 1. 

Yes, I still remember that "Stupid question!" I can certainly get how he is or can be a disaster with people.

Looked back on it and it was their stupid owners Fawaz and co who sacked him- he was a point off the playoffs after ups and downs in prior seasons. Sacking was widely treated with confusion.

Still his recod pre joining us did stand up to scrutiny...his home record here at first did too in fact, actually.

On 07/07/2020 at 03:14, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bournemouth, Doncaster and perhaps Nottingham Forest fans might beg to differ?

That said it seemed to go wrong for him at Walsall too but he has- or had pre us- a pretty reasonable career as a manager/head coach. Maybe the latter more applicable in his case?

Where is he now ? Very good at the coaching side, not the people. The similarities to LJ are there. Use him where he is good , even exceptional. Nothing wrong with being an exceptional coach . LJ would have been awesome working with SC for example. It is a double act. Was Fergie a great coach ? Does Klopp do all the coaching ? It is a team effort and there are different roles. LJ ilke SOD is not a top leader , however both are/can be top coaches. Both SOD and LJ highlighted huge flaws in the BCFC set up, and both should be credited for doing that. But, neither is a top class number 1. SOD knows it, LJ still has to understand that . LJ would be a great number 2 for many teams , and you would think at Prem level too. That he can do and do it well. 

12 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Where is he now ? Very good at the coaching side, not the people. The similarities to LJ are there. Use him where he is good , even exceptional. Nothing wrong with being an exceptional coach . LJ would have been awesome working with SC for example. It is a double act. Was Fergie a great coach ? Does Klopp do all the coaching ? It is a team effort and there are different roles. LJ ilke SOD is not a top leader , however both are/can be top coaches. Both SOD and LJ highlighted huge flaws in the BCFC set up, and both should be credited for doing that. But, neither is a top class number 1. SOD knows it, LJ still has to understand that . LJ would be a great number 2 for many teams , and you would think at Prem level too. That he can do and do it well. 

Been saying that for 2 years....don’t think his pride / ego would let him though.

On 06/07/2020 at 21:30, nellie said:

i was lucky enough to play under SOD for another team great man great coaching ideas just didn't work here

Why do you think that was? You will have more insight than many I'd have thought.

Strong and most memorable body of work at Doncaster, harshly (wrongly, oddly?) sacked at Nottingham Forest, reasonable first job at Bournemouth.

Certainly nothing in his prior work to suggest that he should've presided over in particular our plummet to bottom end of League One.

12 hours ago, Superjack said:

I live in Redland and the students are back.

I dream of a deafening silence.

I thought I'd seen more about.

13 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

A bad job can **** a manager these days, it can be tougher than ever. I think he was sacked by Walsall, but don't know how his record stacked up there.

It's a selective reading tbh, to overlook his strong body of work before joining us. His time here surely set him back significantly.

Had quick look. 20 pts, 14 games I think, round about playoff pushing (at Walsall). However may have miscalculated.

Archived