IGNORED

New coach not likely to be announced before the end of the summer - The Post

Major Isewater

The timing of our appointment is an interesting one and involves a gamble.

Options as follows:

1. Swoop early. We've pulled the trigger before other clubs so we can assess who is available with limited competition from other clubs. For example, Hughton might not have other offers currently. Or we can poach Lowe before another club does.

The appointee gets plenty of time to bed in and a full summer break (4weeks).

2. Wait to see what happens. As the season concludes, other clubs will part ways with their managers which provides additional opportunities, but also additional competition. 

For example, Villa sack Smith which adds another manager to our list, but also starts a domino effect in which Hughton could be snapped up by a club with more clout.

The longer we wait the less pre-season the new person gets.

3. Appoint from within. Please not this option!

Even if its just waiting until the season finishes by removing Lee Johnson you make managers like Dean Smith, Eddie Howe (not that I think he'd come) aware there's a vacancy, whereas if LJ was still in post but to be removed at the end of the season they would have no idea, may consider other options etc. 

As to the point of LJ's removal being done when it was, if the target was play offs minimum and the loss to Cardiff effectively ended that whats the point of him being around another 2/3 weeks to then go?

8 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Its poor form to actively look for a new manager if you already have one.  Doing the right thing was to let LJ go if it was your decision.  Now the club have the luxury of time.  I think it might be a mad scramble for the managerial merry go round at the close of this season.  This puts us out in front of that.

Bonus is we have Mark Ashton, and lets face it the bloke can deal. I would expect 2 or 3 to be selected already and now its about getting that deal over the line.

It would be poor business if they weren’t looking . Bit naive to think it’s all done morally correct. It’s a cutthroat game . You can rest assured there was feelers being put out before he was sacked. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All Gregor has said is that "some" sources "suggest" that if City can't get their man now then they might have to wait until the close season ?

A complete non-story! 

Like saying if it rains and I may or may not have an umbrella I could get wet.

Thing is realistically a manager like Hughton, for example, will know he is likely to be in demand. I'd imagine a top manager would want to know what jobs are available come the summer before taking a choice.At the moment there is a chance of VIlla or another big name club having a summer vacancy if they go down.

Even if we want to recruit now, our targets may be biding their time. 

21 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Its poor form to actively look for a new manager if you already have one.  Doing the right thing was to let LJ go if it was your decision.  Now the club have the luxury of time.  I think it might be a mad scramble for the managerial merry go round at the close of this season.  This puts us out in front of that.

Bonus is we have Mark Ashton, and lets face it the bloke can deal. I would expect 2 or 3 to be selected already and now its about getting that deal over the line.

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It would be poor business if they weren’t looking . Bit naive to think it’s all done morally correct. It’s a cutthroat game . You can rest assured there was feelers being put out before he was sacked. 

Bang on, Stevie

Talksport was talking about Southampton, I think it was them, because they know if someone comes in and does well he'll get snapped up they work two to three managers out in the assessments. They may well move the order or have to take people off as they move on in the meantime, but if City weren't doing the same I'd be absolutely amazed

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Thing is realistically a manager like Hughton, for example, will know he is likely to be in demand. I'd imagine a top manager would want to know what jobs are available come the summer before taking a choice.At the moment there is a chance of VIlla or another big name club having a summer vacancy if they go down.

For me, if Hughton wants to wait until pre-season....we must move on

We need a coach who wants to come here and really wants to take this challenge on. We don’t need to be anyone’s second option 

I’d rather take a Ryan Lowe ....someone who is desperate for this challenge and sees it as a huge opportunity.....rather then a Chris Hughton, someone who isn’t sure and keeping his options open (not saying he is by the way, just using it as an example)

Taking on someone like that just reminds me to much of the Coppell debacle 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's a fair point.

On balance i would say we are a very attractive option for an ambitious manager. Getting us to the Prem would be a notable achievement, Villa again, not so much.

Perhaps Hughton as the example should grab the opportunity before someone else does. All about that desire and ambition i guess.

36 minutes ago, Gazred said:

On balance i would say we are a very attractive option for an ambitious manager.

This.  We are a non parachuted payment team, who at times have punched well above our weight in this division consistently over the 3 years.  By that very definition, means we are backed by a very stable owner who has a large cheque book. I would suggest there are few managers out there that absolutely relish this opportunity.  Maybe some big names..... and they should be.

If we wait until the season finishes that would suggest to me that either

1)we want to give Holden a few games to see if he is a realistic option or

2)we can't agree terms with any of the options currently available and have to wait for the merrygoround that will start once this season finishes. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All Gregor has said is that "some" sources "suggest" that if City can't get their man now then they might have to wait until the close season ?

A complete non-story! 

True, but with so many games crammed into such a short period the season actually ends for us in 16 days time.

It isn’t inconceivable that whoever we chose is only in post for the last one or two games.

3 hours ago, eric04 said:

Merely suggesting people shouldn’t read too much into “our sources say this” today. 

As an older fan, I appreciate this is no different to ringing Clubcall every day to get the gossip as I often did. But gossip is all it is most of the time. 

Exactly.....although much cheaper!! (Unless you used your works phone!!)

2 hours ago, HomerRed said:

I don't think anyone expressed any surprise. 

Is your piece available online or just in the print version? I would read it ?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-v-cardiff-city-4293375

or the crisp sandwich tweet

With the posts latest article on manager suggesting the next manager won’t have the money and will have to bring on the young guns. 

I think with Boro having  a good history of bringing on their young ones and this is something Karanka done, along with coming from a youth environment himself, having being involved with the Spanish national youth teams. Surely Karanka has to be near the top of the list and it will push out Hughton and McCarthy. 

29 minutes ago, redpole said:

With the posts latest article on manager suggesting the next manager won’t have the money and will have to bring on the young guns. 

I think with Boro having  a good history of bringing on their young ones and this is something Karanka done, along with coming from a youth environment himself, having being involved with the Spanish national youth teams. Surely Karanka has to be near the top of the list and it will push out Hughton and McCarthy. 

I really hope not. 

5 hours ago, Gazred said:

It's a fair point.

On balance i would say we are a very attractive option for an ambitious manager. Getting us to the Prem would be a notable achievement, Villa again, not so much.

Perhaps Hughton as the example should grab the opportunity before someone else does. All about that desire and ambition i guess.

I agree that we are an attractive option. From the outside, I think we've got a decent squad with a few areas of improvement, potential for investment this summer, players who can be sold to bring in financial funds if needed, the potential to go further and a board and owner who show patience. All of that will count for something. 

I've got a feeling that Hughton might be the kind of person who would fancy that sort of job rather than a club where there is infinite resource and infinite expectation and I don't want to disparage him at all by suggesting he might hold out to see what else was offered. My point really was merely that top managers tend to be in demand and we may have to make a choice of whether we attempt to "woo" a candidate with various other suitors or whether we go for a manager who would see this job as their opportunity to make their mark. If we go for the former, that might take longer. 

12 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

This is clever in a way, we have nothing to play for anymore, wait until some prem manager gets the sack who isn’t good enough for that league and poach him. 

i think we’ve gone past hiring league one managers, need to be looking at managers for this league or lower teams from the league above 

A Prem manager getting the sack is likely to have been one under severe pressure all season and then losing the battle. 

I would prefer a coach who is full of energy and prepared for a new challenge to a battered , exhausted one who’s just failed somewhere else.

Archived