IGNORED

Negative Emojis and Mental Health Week

Norn Iron

23 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Recently, we had Mental Health Week within football especially. 

Currently, I feel useless, worthless and down right fed up. I come onto OTIB as a release, an escape from my never ending circumstances of looking after a very sick wife and all that entails. Normally, people who disagree with me do so in a manner befitting further amiable conversation. However, yesterday's emojis left by a couple (one in particular who seems to pick on me as if he has a grudge anyway) have really affected me. Sure, I hear you say, it's what the forum is all about. But is it though? 

There have been a few over the past year who have spoken openly about their own mental health issues, which have led to far worse scenarios than me just feeling crap, worthless and useless. So whilst I'm in this particular mire, why is it we have ? and other negative emojis when they can do far more destruction to a person's mental health? These emojis weren't here a couple of years ago. People can use them and hide behind their own made up identity. We have now keyboard warriors/worriers within our own beloved OTIB community. 

I don't have a problem if people want to say that I'm talking rubbish or that I was out of order with a quip as that should prompt dialogue to resolve any potential conflicts. But to get negative emojis currently when I'm feeling worthless, useless etc has really affected me. A snowflake, me? I don't think so but what I would like to suggest expecially as we have others on here who are struggling with personal issues and loss of jobs through Covid, is that we do something about it especially after Mental Health Week. May I suggest that the negative emojis are withdrawn from OTIB? 

Thank you for reading. Please comment below and try not to use any negative emojis!

The problem with social networking, it tends to be anonymous and that allows people to feel empowered to do things they might not necessarily do, to the point they might even start to enjoy being cruel. It's a power trip if you like. There are also the people who are already arseholes and social media just allows them to broadcast it to a wider audience.

Maybe you need to think about the emoji's in another way i.e. rather than thinking about them in a negative way, think about the person who's given you the emoji as the emoji (yeah it's a childish way to think about it, but it can work). So you've got votes from aubergines, smilers, people with hearts etc. What I'm saying is turn it around and make it comical and don't take it personally (easier said than done).

As to emoji's, I'd prefer a straight forward up and down arrow with an overall result given (the ups and downs added together) - this would show the consensus of a post and allow the person to know if they are making some good points or they are talking shite (and people really do need to know when they are talking shite - I do it all the time :) ).

But your situation is complicated by the looks of it.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I do hope you can find a way to make things bearable. Use the Internet to find support groups and get as much help as you can from the system (it's not perfect but do what you can).
While you are feeling low, I'd say take a rest from OTIB and when you are ready, return - you have as much right to be here as anyone else.
By the sounds of it, you know your antagonists. Just don't engage with them and ignore them. Believe me, you'll piss them off more by doing this than actually engaging with them.
If you are really are low, you do need to see your GP. Personally I don't like medication as an option, I'm more into the self-help route of talking therapies, meditation, etc., but do talk to your GP first to see if you would benefit from a blended approach.

Finally, remember I might be talking out of my arse and know nothing. Ignore me if that's the case.

@Norn Iron - we’ll done for speaking about this. If you’re feeling a bit down, it takes courage to stick your head above the parapet. I can’t see the purpose of having the offensive negative emojis as they should only be used if a post was itself offensive, racist etc. If there was that sort of post it would be removed, therefore no need for the emoji. A better option might be an “I don’t agree”  emoji / symbol for someone who disagrees with a comment but doesn’t want to / have time to give reasons 

59 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

The problem with social networking, it tends to be anonymous and that allows people to feel empowered to do things they might not necessarily do, to the point they might even start to enjoy being cruel. It's a power trip if you like. There are also the people who are already arseholes and social media just allows them to broadcast it to a wider audience.

Maybe you need to think about the emoji's in another way i.e. rather than thinking about them in a negative way, think about the person who's given you the emoji as the emoji (yeah it's a childish way to think about it, but it can work). So you've got votes from aubergines, smilers, people with hearts etc. What I'm saying is turn it around and make it comical and don't take it personally (easier said than done).

As to emoji's, I'd prefer a straight forward up and down arrow with an overall result given (the ups and downs added together) - this would show the consensus of a post and allow the person to know if they are making some good points or they are talking shite (and people really do need to know when they are talking shite - I do it all the time :) ).

But your situation is complicated by the looks of it.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I do hope you can find a way to make things bearable. Use the Internet to find support groups and get as much help as you can from the system (it's not perfect but do what you can).
While you are feeling low, I'd say take a rest from OTIB and when you are ready, return - you have as much right to be here as anyone else.
By the sounds of it, you know your antagonists. Just don't engage with them and ignore them. Believe me, you'll piss them off more by doing this than actually engaging with them.
If you are really are low, you do need to see your GP. Personally I don't like medication as an option, I'm more into the self-help route of talking therapies, meditation, etc., but do talk to your GP first to see if you would benefit from a blended approach.

Finally, remember I might be talking out of my arse and know nothing. Ignore me if that's the case.

Put by heart and that's what matters

Archived