IGNORED

Dean Holden Speaks!

One Team

Well this press conference was genuine at least!

As much as I've said on here previously that Holden and Jamie Mac are for me part of the problem and should also leave, I thought he came across really well in that press conference. Lots of passion and a lot of respect shown all round I thought and handled the questions well. 

I still stand by my original comments but good luck to him whichever way this goes.

Need to judge Holden as the “caretaker” head coach, as its difficult to evaluate him as assistant.

He really is a lovely bloke...

...but that has little bearing on his ability to manage our club.

But good luck to him, at least I hope we end the season with a flourish....and a chance for him to show it wasn’t all his ideas!  Shop window for him too.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Need to judge Holden as the “caretaker” head coach, as its difficult to evaluate him as assistant.

He really is a lovely bloke...

...but that has little bearing on his ability to manage our club.

But good luck to him, at least I hope we end the season with a flourish....and a chance for him to show it wasn’t all his ideas!  Shop window for him too.

I have immense respect for Dean Holden.  To lose a child as he did and talk about it so openly, including how meditation has helped his mental well-being, is still a rarity especially in football.  He seems a very genuine bloke and wish him the best whatever the future holds for him and his family.

As for the footballing side, he was employed to largely follow LJ's approach so to what extent he is can be considered part of the problem is debatable. 

I suppose it really depends on what his ambitions are, some never want the Managers job and just want to do the daily training, hands on stuff. He now can get a little taste of what to expect first hand and decide if it is for him or not, not necessarily at this club though.

Yes he will have seen Lee in action, but just about all Managers say how it’s a totally 24/7 job and more relentless than they had envisaged. Holden & Co are still being kept in post as we have to have someone, but in reality they both must know that the new man will want to bring his own people in. Obviously they are then out of work and may or may not link up with Lee again in the future.

Although I would hope that all the Management team leave and we start a new era fresh, it’s hard for me to wish someone loses their jobs. Whilst they have contributed to our problem they weren’t the main people by far and probably won’t pick up another job as easily as Lee either. Let’s just see if they can freshen things up on Wednesday and take things from there.

14 minutes ago, bris red said:

Im sure they are good guy’s but i really hope him and JMc follow Johnson out the door sooner rather than later.. all a part of the problem and all need to be shown the exit.

They will probably leave in due course ... any new guy coming in is likely to insist on appointing his own assistants

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Im sure they are good guy’s but i really hope him and JMc follow Johnson out the door sooner rather than later.. all a part of the problem and all need to be shown the exit.

Couldn’t agree more. This group has continually underperformed, if not regressed under their collective stewardship. It’s time for fresh ideas from better quality coaches. 

I am interested to know how people who think Holden and JMc are part of the problem arrive at that conclusion.  It's not like you've been involved in training, match prep or match days to make any observations unless some of you are players in disguise?

I think it should be for the new manager to make their own mind up.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I am interested to know how people who think Holden and JMc are part of the problem arrive at that conclusion.  It's not like you've been involved in training, match prep or match days to make any observations unless some of you are players in disguise?

Nothing against them personally but I believe the club needs a complete fresh start and to my mind that has to include the coaching staff. A clean slate is required.

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yeah. It's like when he was first appointed and people were up in arms over Pemberton leaving despite having no idea what he was like on the training ground or in any aspect of his job really

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Nothing against them personally but I believe the club needs a complete fresh start and to my mind that has to include the coaching staff. A clean slate is required.

Well that's fair enough but wanting a fresh start is different to saying "x, y and z are the problem" which I think is a bit unfair.

Personally I tend to think that a fresh start is more likely to be required when the players are in open revolt against the manager or have become completely demotivated but for all the faults I'd point out in LJ's running of the side, motivation and effort were never among them.

23 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Why not? (Genuine question, not being facetious)

Do you know what? I don’t know. He’s been LJ’s assistant for a long time and I can only liken it to when I had a Sickness bug immediately after I had chilli con Carne. I didn’t eat it again for about 6 years. I knew that the sickness didn’t come from it, but it was an association I had made in my head. That’s probably pretty unfair, but I can’t help it!

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

They are/were assistant head coaches, so if they don't contribute to tactics, formation, training routines, morale etc...........then why are they there?  Of course they have had a part to play in our current demise.  However lets see what Holden conjures up against Hull, and he might just redeem himself when in overall charge, though personally i'm not "Holden my breath"......I'll get my coat ?

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Interesting perspective.

I find it more difficult to understand how they could be considered to not be a part of the problem. At least a part. 

Their work on the training pitches quite clearly feeds into the product we've been seeing on matchdays. 

Our failure is collective and won't be solved simply by one man leaving and another coming in.

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Fair enough I am just guessing and it’s only my opinion,which of course counts for nothing. But if I worked for more than four years with a Manager who’s ideas were so very different for my own, who never listened to me or let me have any input I would have looked for alternative employment before now. I think anyone who works with a manager ( head coach) of a football team must be in agreement with them on the majority of things.

Surely if the two or three of them were at loggerheads it wouldn’t have lasted four and a half years? So whatever went so very unbalanced they all had a part in it?

Just now, maxjak said:

They are/were assistant head coaches, so if they don't contribute to tactics, formation, training routines, morale etc...........then why are they there?  Of course they have has a part to play in our current demise.  However lets see what Holden conjures up against, and he might just redeem himself when in overall charge, though personally i'm not "Holden my breath"......I'll get my coat ?

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting perspective.

I find it more difficult to understand how they could be considered to not be a part of the problem. At least a part. 

Their work on the training pitches quite clearly feeds into the product we've been seeing on matchdays. 

Our failure is collective and won't be solved simply by one man leaving and another coming in.

I can understand the point of view but I listen to the perplexing waffle that came out of LJ every time he spoke, and the very different communication that comes from Holden or McAllister when they spoke, and I can only put the muddled tactics, confused selections and inconsistent performances at one bloke's door.

All I'm really saying is that guilt by association doesn't necessarily follow for me and I think I'd leave it up to the next manager to decide.

Just now, RedM said:

Fair enough I am just guessing and it’s only my opinion,which of course counts for nothing. But if I worked for more than four years with a Manager who’s ideas were so very different for my own, who never listened to me or let me have any input I would have looked for alternative employment before now. I think anyone who works with a manager ( head coach) of a football team must be in agreement with them on the majority of things.

Surely if the two or three of them were at loggerheads it wouldn’t have lasted four and a half years? So whatever went so very unbalanced they all had a part in it?

You can disagree with someone without being at loggerheads particularly when that person is the one in charge.  I think it's premature to write them off is all.

39 minutes ago, bris red said:

I don't see how you can assume they were "part of the problem" without knowing how much input they had on match days compared to LJ, they deserve to be given a chance. If Dean Holden does well in the last few games I think he might get the job on a short contract, the plan under the new set up was always supposed to be based on continuity rather than revolution

Archived