IGNORED

Dean Holden Speaks!

One Team

42 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

I have immense respect for Dean Holden.  To lose a child as he did and talk about it so openly, including how meditation has helped his mental well-being, is still a rarity especially in football.  He seems a very genuine bloke and wish him the best whatever the future holds for him and his family.

As for the footballing side, he was employed to largely follow LJ's approach so to what extent he is can be considered part of the problem is debatable. 

Out of likes - (and short on fivers) - but agreed, seems a really good bloke. Very best of luck to him, and his family, whatever the future holds for him.

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know what? I don’t know. He’s been LJ’s assistant for a long time and I can only liken it to when I had a Sickness bug immediately after I had chilli con Carne. I didn’t eat it again for about 6 years. I knew that the sickness didn’t come from it, but it was an association I had made in my head. That’s probably pretty unfair, but I can’t help it!

I was like that with a Curly Wurly as a kid. Spewed up big time after eating one and never fancied one again for years. Funny how we both had the same experience?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting perspective.

I find it more difficult to understand how they could be considered to not be a part of the problem. At least a part. 

Their work on the training pitches quite clearly feeds into the product we've been seeing on matchdays. 

Our failure is collective and won't be solved simply by one man leaving and another coming in.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Fair enough I am just guessing and it’s only my opinion,which of course counts for nothing. But if I worked for more than four years with a Manager who’s ideas were so very different for my own, who never listened to me or let me have any input I would have looked for alternative employment before now. I think anyone who works with a manager ( head coach) of a football team must be in agreement with them on the majority of things.

Surely if the two or three of them were at loggerheads it wouldn’t have lasted four and a half years? So whatever went so very unbalanced they all had a part in it?

I think when we see the line-up on Wednesday, and then the way that team play, we will get an idea whether Holden was fully in agreement with LJ or not.

Having said that he might think LJ’s approach is what the players are used to and stick with it, because there’s not time to change it.  That would be a mistake.

LJ has changed it bane to game, in game.

Be your own man Dean.  Galvanise the boys for 1-5 games and out yourself in the shop window whilst doing it. ??

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think when we see the line-up on Wednesday, and then the way that team play, we will get an idea whether Holden was fully in agreement with LJ or not.

Having said that he might think LJ’s approach is what the players are used to and stick with it, because there’s not time to change it.  That would be a mistake.

LJ has changed it bane to game, in game.

Be your own man Dean.  Galvanise the boys for 1-5 games and out yourself in the shop window whilst doing it. ??

He did say that he told them to go out and enjoy themselves and do what they did best!

Very impressed with DH in that interview today.

Spoke very well and dealt with all the questions (some pretty stupid) professionally.

Some **** asked why hasn't there been any "tributes" on social media and he batted that off well telling the prat that contacting LJ personally as many have done is the best way to do it. Some seem to think that if things aren't on social media then it hasn't happened.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know what? I don’t know. He’s been LJ’s assistant for a long time and I can only liken it to when I had a Sickness bug immediately after I had chilli con Carne. I didn’t eat it again for about 6 years. I knew that the sickness didn’t come from it, but it was an association I had made in my head. That’s probably pretty unfair, but I can’t help it!

Carrots and humus are my Dean Holden.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't see how you can assume they were "part of the problem" without knowing how much input they had on match days compared to LJ, they deserve to be given a chance. If Dean Holden does well in the last few games I think he might get the job on a short contract, the plan under the new set up was always supposed to be based on continuity rather than revolution

For me, Holden gave the impression that he knows he has no chance of the manager’s whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

I was like that with a Curly Wurly as a kid. Spewed up big time after eating one and never fancied one again for years. Funny how we both had the same experience?

my brother honked up in the bedroom and blocked the sink in a b and b in st ives when we were kids.we had eaten ice creams at the harbour,i had vanilla and he had strawberry. my dad had to put his fingers in it to clear it. ive never touched strawberry ice cream since

31 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

For me, Holden gave the impression that he knows he has no chance of the manager’s whatsoever. 

He's bound to give that impression now, he needs some wins on the board before he can start contemplating it. It wouldn't really be any different from when Millen and Tinnion were given the main job, SL's done it before. The more experienced candidates will want to dictate terms and SL won't change the structure of the club for them, they'll only get appointed if they conform to the system. Of course if he doesn't get wins then it won't happen.

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He's bound to give that impression now, he needs some wins on the board before he can start contemplating it. It wouldn't really be any different from when Millen and Tinnion were given the main job, SL's done it before. The more experienced candidates will want to dictate terms and SL won't change the structure of the club for them, they'll only get appointed if they conform to the system. Of course if he doesn't get wins then it won't happen.

If lansdown doesn't come away from that system or structure then he won't ever see Bristol city in the premier league,Yes the club needs to be self efficient balance its own books but when it comes to manager/coach they have to manage for me that structure or system isn't working regards to managers.

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting perspective.

I find it more difficult to understand how they could be considered to not be a part of the problem. At least a part. 

Their work on the training pitches quite clearly feeds into the product we've been seeing on matchdays. 

Our failure is collective and won't be solved simply by one man leaving and another coming in.

But isn’t that the point of the set up? The head coach leaves, and another slips in place without disrupting it? 
I get that they maybe culpable too, but I’ve been led to believe that this is why he was a ‘head coach’ and not a manager.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

But isn’t that the point of the set up? The head coach leaves, and another slips in place without disrupting it? 
I get that they maybe culpable too, but I’ve been led to believe that this is why he was a ‘head coach’ and not a manager.

That was the old Liverpool model, back in the day, one which I greatly admired at the time. It’s never really worked for us. Perhaps that’s because when Liverpool changed managers (a la Fagan, Paisley, Dalgleish, etc.), it was to perpetuate an evolutionary system that was not only already established but outstandingly successful, as well. Managers weren’t sacked. They stepped down and handed over, in order to keep a highly effective system running smoothly. Quite different from when you’ve just fired someone because it ain’t working.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Who chose Holden & McAllister though?

Was it the club, looking for continuity and installing them as likely successors to LJ, or was it LJ because he liked them?

If it was the club then they may feel strongly the present boot room set up should continue, and maybe even appoint Holden. If it was LJ there would be no need to retain his chosen assistants, particularly if the new manager would find it a sticking point.

Archived