IGNORED

MIDFIELD movement & rotation

Tammyjr

....and allow them some freedom to show why they were good players in the first place.

The fluidity of 17/18, Brownhill drifting in off the right, Paterson dropping into the midfield, etc, etc, has gradually been stifled by a system that requires players to stay in the positions they’ve been placed on the magnet board.

I just wonder what...

Pack Nagy

Brownhill

I know ifs and buts etc but that to me would've had significant potential to create triangles, for Brownhill to drift right to help as and when and for him to drop back into a genuine 3/5 out of possession.

Ifs and buts, however could we have signed on deadline day as we did and kept Pack and Brownhill this season- or would the finances have truly thwarted that?

Some midfield then! Pack, Nagy, Brownhill, Smith, Massengo and Rowe in extremis/for a bit of bite. Smith would've been low down at that time due to injury but Smith and Massengo, both of these would've provided strong competition, or could easily have slotted into the 3- Brownhill the goals though so maybe he'd start in all scenarios.

So many interesting combos might have been possible- but ones that fit together, not necessarily some of LJ's favoured ones!

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker

Hunt Nagy Pack DaSilva

Brownhill

Weimann Afobe

In some phases Brownhill can link with the front 2, in others he can genuinely drop back and create that 3 man barrier albeit in a 3-5-2- in further phases still, he can perhaps help support Hunt defensively.

Maybe the above but once Afobe injured, maybe Brownhill and Palmer behind Weimann in a 3-4-2-1 but a 3-4-2-1 that's narrower, yet with potential to drop into a 3-5-1-1. In some harder games, Pereira at WB, bit more conservative. Just think we had more possibilities than LJ was exploring.

I can see us playing 3 centre mids next season. 

Walsh, Morrell, Nagy, Massengo all are tidy players but need to be in a 3. Ideally I'd like to see one more defensive midfielder coming in and look to play either a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2. 

20 minutes ago, Selred said:

I can see us playing 3 centre mids next season. 

Walsh, Morrell, Nagy, Massengo all are tidy players but need to be in a 3. Ideally I'd like to see one more defensive midfielder coming in and look to play either a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2. 

Agree- all best suited to a 3, though it's possible Morrell could also be comfortable to a point in a two.

Have to play 3 genuine CMs for me- in either of those setups you say- add Rowe and possibly depending on contract Smith to the mix, and could one of them (in a 3) be- in the right shape- a solution for DM?

LJ did seem very against a CM 3 though. New man might think different!  Who is the most defensive minded out of those 4 or if we keep, 6 I wonder?

This midfield has been absent, when we needed them most.

Our new manager, will make signing 2 midfielders, who have performed at this level a must.

We will not go up with nagy and massengo in midfield.

Massengo, needs at least another year, before hes ready for this level.

The blackburn, and sheff wed games, showed they arent good enough.

Totally outplayed by average players.

I love Korey to bits but he has been a shadow of his former self since his last injury, and especially since the break. Has been ‘ nowhere’ instead of his ‘everywhere’. Not sure how much longer he will be with us, unless the new manager can inspire him he needs a new challenge too.

Archived