IGNORED

An open letter to our new manager

Jerseybean

Fellow Reds

As we await the arrival of our new manager, I would like to invite you to play your part in welcoming whoever it is.

The combined knowledge, experience and wisdom of all things a Bristol City among those who contribute OTIB should be harnessed to make a brilliant first impression for the new gaffer.

I’m suggesting OTIB posters write an open welcome letter which once finished will be mailed to him at BS3.

I have no idea what it will say, as that totally depends on input from posters. Perhaps it will feature  supporter’s insights about.... our history, culture, current situation, next season, our strengths and weaknesses, suggestions and ideas from us as fans, etc. etc. etc.

From what I know about being a City fan and from what I have learnt from this forum over the years it could be a really well informed and valuable letter, written with genuine, meaningful, insights, facts and humour. Actually the kind of collective information which couldn’t come from any other source.

I’m happy to attempt to combine / edit / and compile a draft from the contributions, although I should say it won’t be possible to include everything that’s suggested.

Over to you fellow Reds. Let’s see what we end up with.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Fellow Reds

As we await the arrival of our new manager, I would like to invite you to play your part in welcoming whoever it is.

The combined knowledge, experience and wisdom of all things a Bristol City among those who contribute OTIB should be harnessed to make a brilliant first impression for the new gaffer.

I’m suggesting OTIB posters write an open welcome letter which once finished will be mailed to him at BS3.

I have no idea what it will say, as that totally depends on input from posters. Perhaps it will feature  supporter’s insights about.... our history, culture, current situation, next season, our strengths and weaknesses, suggestions and ideas from us as fans, etc. etc. etc.

From what I know about being a City fan and from what I have learnt from this forum over the years it could be a really well informed and valuable letter, written with genuine, meaningful, insights, facts and humour. Actually the kind of collective information which couldn’t come from any other source.

I’m happy to attempt to combine / edit / and compile a draft from the contributions, although I should say it won’t be possible to include everything that’s suggested.

How do you put in a letter he has 3 options

1)walk

2) sack could be *by mutual consent*

3) die

?

Best of Luck, we just ask for bit of passion and a semi-consistent team tactics and selection.

Please don't be afraid to give the youth a chance.

Promotion would be nice, but just some attacking football for a couple of years would be greatly appreciated. A bit of pressing alao never hurt anyone.

Thank you Fuber, reddoh, RedSkin, BrizzleRed, Midred and Dynamite Red,

Draft one follows.

Look forward to others contributing, the more the better.

Dear Chris (hopefully)

Welcome to our club. Congratulations on being appointed manager / head coach.

We are sure you will quickly discover what a superb football club and city you have joined. We thought we could perhaps accelerate your learning by offering thoughts from us, the fans. So what follows has been distilled from comments posted on our brilliant forum OTIB. Which no doubt was mentioned during your interview.

OTIB is home to circa xxxxx (anyone know how many?) Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fans opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

So to start with a genuinely, warm Bristol welcome. One other thing to mention early on is we are Bristol City and although there is only One Team in Bristol we don’t take kindly to being called Bristol.

It’s an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans  want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a life-time of ups-and-downs as City supporters and at times being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it’s a convenient sound-bite.

A fair few OTIB regulars have, for sometime, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up as ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Others have recognised that Lee Johnson stabilised the club and worked tirelessly but that ultimately the time was right, for all concerned, for a change.

Given you’ve just arrived at BS3 the next point seems horribly premature but nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective, football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, but that might be a mistake!

Hopefully to be continued........

32 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you Fuber, reddoh, RedSkin, BrizzleRed, Midred and Dynamite Red,

Draft one follows.

Look forward to others contributing, the more the better.

Dear Chris (hopefully)

We are sure you will quickly discover what a superb football club and city you have joined. We thought we could perhaps accelerate your learning by offering thoughts from us, the fans. So what follows has been distilled from comments posted on our brilliant forum OTIB. Which no doubt was mentioned during your interview.

OTIB is home to circa xxxxx (anyone know how many?) Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fans opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

So to start with a genuinely, warm Bristol welcome. One other thing to mention early on is we are Bristol City and although there is only One Team in Bristol we don’t take kindly to being called Bristol.

It’s an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans  want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a life-time of ups-and-downs as City supporters and at times being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it’s a convenient sound-bite.

A fair few OTIB regulars have, for sometime, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up as ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Others have recognised that Lee Johnson stabilised the club and worked tirelessly but that ultimately the time was right, for all concerned, for a change.

Given you’ve just arrived at BS3 the next point seems horribly premature but nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective, football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, but that might be a mistake!

Hopefully to be continued........

PS If you ever manage to find out what the fabled 'Identity' was/is, please let us know. It's become our Roswell. Cheers Drive.

On 06/07/2020 at 21:48, Jerseybean said:

Fellow Reds

I was with you until 'wisdom'. 

Dear 12/18/24 month appointment,

Any chance of getting some seats in the concourse, chips sold by some of the internal concessions and the PA fixed in the Dolman?

Also, can you spend a load of money (it's a sign of intent), make things universally cheaper (it's our right), keep our best players (naturally)- but at the same time as keeping our best players, and spending a fortune please sell enough players for an inflated price so we make a massive profit (enough money generated each window that it would pay for a new stadium for a lower league team to thrive).

On a personal level, I'd quite like some food vouchers.

Oh, and if you can get those lights switched off as well, that'll be mint.

Also, yeah, football. Something.

Pretty sure that covers 99% or things.

Cheers,

Rob 

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Dear 12/18/24 month appointment,

Any chance of getting some seats in the concourse, chips sold by some of the internal concessions and the PA fixed in the Dolman?

Also, can you spend a load of money (it's a sign of intent), make things universally cheaper (it's our right), keep our best players (naturally)- but at the same time as keeping our best players, and spending a fortune please sell enough players for an inflated price so we make a massive profit (enough money generated each window that it would pay for a new stadium for a lower league team to thrive).

On a personal level, I'd quite like some food vouchers.

Oh, and if you can get those lights switched off as well, that'll be mint.

Also, yeah, football. Something.

Pretty sure that covers 99% or things.

Cheers,

Rob 

What about fag vending machines?

Dear Mr (or Mrs) Manager (or coach).  Please enrol as a member of OTIB so that you can log in on match day to see what your ideal line up should be.  Also, look in again after the win / draw / defeat to learn what you are constantly doing wrong.  We fully understand that your office isn't nearly large enough to accommodate every expert on this forum so we are trusting you to pick the side solely based on popular expert opinion and to improve yourself by immediately responding to guidance from us keyboard FIFA maestros.  Message ends.

What do we want?

1. Some excitement 

2. Some entertainment

3. Winning enough games to get us into the playoffs at the very least, and ideally promotion.

If the new manager can achieve the above (and to a large extent they are all linked to what could be described as “success”) then the plaudits will outweigh the complaints on this forum.

Thank to everyone who has posted, I have tried to include your comments. Welcome other’s posts, the more the better. Here is draft 2:

An open letter to our new manager / head coach - second draft

Dear Chris (hopefully)

OTIB is home to circa xxxxx (anyone know how many?) Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fan’s opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

It’s an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really,really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ ‘entertainment’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a life-time of ups-and-downs as City supporters (it’s been a roller-coaster at times) and on occasions being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant,’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it’s a convenient sound-bite.

A fair few OTIB regulars have, for sometime, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up by saying ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Your predecessor was keen to talk about our ‘identity’ and ‘DNA’, although, to be honest, very few of us could confidently describe any particular ‘identity’. Any attempt to describe our recent ‘identity’ would certainly not involve many positives. Under your leadership we’d be delighted to applaud and support a style of play that is attractive, discernible and effective.

Our hierarchy has worked very hard over recent years to embed a sustainable mentality throughout the club and we are indebted to them, most especially Steve Lansdown CBE, for the commitment, financial backing, loyalty, stewardship and dedication they bring. We believe that you are very fortunate to enjoy their backing.

Given you’ve just arrived at BS3 the next point seems horribly premature, but nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, while others suggest that might be a school-boy error, feeling you should subscribe as there’s much benefit to be had from the the combined thoughts of the OTIB community.

While understandably your focus will be on wining football matches, there are a few off-field matters we’d like to bring your attention to, although they will soon become apparent to you. Perhaps you could delegate somebody to sort out the appalling and legendary PA system at Ashton Gate, oh and also please get ‘those lights’ turned off (you will soon know what we mean). While on the subject of basic match-day needs, a few of the internal concession outlets serving chips would most certainly go down well!

In summary, welcome, good luck, we look forward to entertaining football which leads to promotion.

Hopefully to be continued to reflect further OTIB posts.

Dear Manager

We at OTIB are divided about you, how the team should play and football in general.

We would like to be one City again, so pull your finger out and make us proud (or should that be prowed?).

Yours faithfully

OTIB

PS. You have one game to achieve this

Dear New Manager, 

We want to see exciting, attacking, dynamic football, but also a watertight defence conceding zero goals and not allowing a single shot on target. 

We require that all games are 5-0 in our favour or else we’ll riot. 

You must also display passion for the entire 90 minutes, unless of course we demand that we need a more cerebral approach, in which case you must stand thoughtfully in the dugout, ready for us to demand more passion from you. 

You must also buy the absolute best players for big bucks but at the same time ensure that all the local lads get game time, especially Hinds as he scored a scorcher 3 years ago and that automatically means he’s shit hot and must therefore be the answer to our 30 goals a season man. Do bear in mind if the big signings flop we’ll blame you, as well as the kids cos we should be buying the best, not being ‘nice BCFC’.

And finally, get rid of ALL staff with previous connections to OUR club. We can no longer tolerate ‘cosy Bristol City’ and ‘jobs for the boys’, but do be aware that at some point we will demand to know why our club doesn’t keep those who have knowledge of it and are replaced by soulless mercenaries. 

Kind regards, 

The Fans

(tongue in cheek of course ?

Archived