IGNORED

Johnson’s own self belief

Firstly, I don’t want this to turn into a bashing thread on LJ. However, just a question to ask...

I have seen comments/reports to say he was distraught when he was fired, that it came as a shock to him. Think this was backed up in Holden’s interview yesterday.

Can this really be the case? Was he that blind to what was going on on the pitch that he thought he was doing a good job? I’m starting to think he believed in everything he said in his post match interviews and he wasn’t playing for time.

It surprises me even more that it came as a shock to him when you look at his track record. Arguably there has been a case for his sacking in every season, including his spell at Barnsley, given the winless runs he has without fail.

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Firstly, I don’t want this to turn into a bashing thread on LJ. However, just a question to ask...

I have seen comments/reports to say he was distraught when he was fired, that it came as a shock to him. Think this was backed up in Holden’s interview yesterday.

Can this really be the case? Was he that blind to what was going on on the pitch that he thought he was doing a good job? I’m starting to think he believed in everything he said in his post match interviews and he wasn’t playing for time.

It surprises me even more that it came as a shock to him when you look at his track record. Arguably there has been a case for his sacking in every season, including his spell at Barnsley, given the winless runs he has without fail.

I guess when you’ve been backed in the past and been on a similar run it must give some confidence the club will stand beside you 

Lee Johnson was well aware that SL wanted to see season on season progress and it became clear that that wasn’t going to happen after 4 consecutive defeats this time around. SL, like most of us had finally lost patience with him.

If he was surprised then I’m equally surprised that he didn’t see it coming.

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I too got that impression, nothing wrong with a bit of self belief, but if it turns into arrogance and not listening to others for help, than you have a problem. He was fortunate to have lasted this long, the longest serving Championship, and third longest in the Football League. I have supported him through the bad times, thinking these bad runs would not be a feature, but they were, he had to go, to actually be shocked at his dismissal is arrogance beyond comprehension, and for that good riddance. 

I don't think he expected it either to be honest, he was too wrapped up in his box management and his players being not aroused enough.

In seriousness, he was delusional til the very last minute saying on sky we can still make the play-offs if anyone slips up. I think he fell out with half of the playing staff and that ultimately has been his downfall.

I think it's widely accepted in business that a lack of insight/self-awareness can be detrimental to team performance, particularly when that lack of insight is from the one calling the shots. Will LJ ask for a different perspective or be welcoming critical feedback ahead of/in his next role? If not, then his professional growth and managerial career may well be stunted. I guess it comes down to, somewhat ironically, how much he is willing to trust others in their appraisal of him and how he might address matters such as:

* Listening to, or accepting, critical feedback;

* Empathising with, or taking the perspective of, others;

* 'Reading the room', and tailoring his message accordingly:

* Possessing an inflated opinion of his contribution and performance;

* Hurting others without realising it;

* Taking credit for successes and blaming others for failures. 

I am not saying that LJ is guilty of all of the above, nor even the majority of that laundry list. However, merely as an outsider looking in, and how LJ conducts his press, if I was him I would focus my efforts to improve on self-awareness. LJ is still very young in managerial terms and I think some reflection is called for if he doesn't want City to be his highest ever placed finisher.

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I believe he built a monster and lost control of it .

I said a long while ago that LJ needed to take a step back but did he listen ?

Oh no . 
The kids of today know it all don’t they ? 

I believe he was working too hard and couldn’t see clearly where it was all going .

LJ is a romantic at heart , a dreamer , bought up on Roy of the Rovers and that’s no bad thing as we need this in sport or else we might as well give up but he believed that we would go up because we were doing all the right things . The results didn’t stack up and it was over .

I don’t believe anyone can keep up the level of intensity of work that a head coach needs these days to be successful. I don’t want a new coach on a four year contract. Three years and these guys are burnt out . 

I hope LJ takes a long break for him and his family and then comes back somewhere refreshed and ready for a new challenge.

The quality of coaches who have expressed an interest in the position here is in no small part down to LJ himself and for that I am grateful to him. Sadly, like many coaches , he overstayed, and spoilt the good memories . 

I wish him the best of luck he was honest in his desire to bring glory to our club . 

32 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If that's all true, there's a genuine word for that: deluded. 

He's smart enough to know he was at risk. All managers have the axe hanging over them, and whilst the manner or timing may have caught him by surprise, I'm sure he knew it was possible. 

By the way, when was Johnson last booed and heckled by a big section of the fans? It must be weird to have such a sedate demise.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

He's smart enough to know he was at risk. All managers have the axe hanging over them, and whilst the manner or timing may have caught him by surprise, I'm sure he knew it was possible. 

By the way, when was Johnson last booed and heckled by a big section of the fans? It must be weird to have such a sedate demise.

Perhaps he could come back for a good ‘ booing and heckling ‘ when Ashton Gate is open again to the public. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don't believe he thought Mr Lansdown would ever pull the trigger regardless of how crap he was performing in his job simply because he has been backed in the past.

Back to the real world now.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It was probably still a shock. It's not the sort of job that you can ever really switch off from so he'd have been living and breathing it. Regardless how things were going, he obviously put his heart and soul into it and suddenly all that work is for nothing.

I've said it before, LJ and the rest of backroom staff were encapsulated in a self congratulatory, back slapping bubble, aided and abetted by Ashton.  When you mix in those circles - all management talk  - you believe you are untouchable and that any faults are the faults of others. There is no accountability - until now.  The bubble has been burst and LJ has taken the fall.

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It was probably still a shock. It's not the sort of job that you can ever really switch off from so he'd have been living and breathing it. Regardless how things were going, he obviously put his heart and soul into it and suddenly all that work is for nothing.

Well , not quite nothing ,£££ but I understand your point and agree completely.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well , not quite nothing ,£££ but I understand your point and agree completely.

Of course, but I think the legacy of achieving promotion would've meant far more.

For all his faults, it was clear LJ was absolutely desperate to succeed here. I think history will look back on him kindly overall, we're in a far better place than when he joined and just need someone with some fresh ideas/experience to kick us on.

• Admin

Maybe a sign that he had convinced himself that he was untouchable,

The 4 year contract certainly wasn't the wisest decision in hindsight

I was never sure if he had a massive ego or he just had a public persona appearing that way

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Maybe he was just to aroused to see it .....

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I think he believed his own bullsh1t. He spouted so much that he convinced himself it was true.

Once Brownhill left it was going to be very difficult to hit the play offs with such a weak midfield. I felt that this continuous improvement became a millstone, and last summer we deviated from plan, looking for quick fixes. Failing to make play offs, but the squad developing for the future is perfectly acceptable. Chasing the dream is generally when money gets spent badly.

Isn't it time we stopped talking about Johnson, he's the past? Let us all look forward to the next glove puppet that the Lansdowns will unveil. Michael from Newport or someone from the National League to front the football section of Bristol Sport

Archived