IGNORED

Johnson’s own self belief

I think one of the issues for LJ was he had never been sacked before. I think he has been poached both times by us and Barnsley.

A more experienced manager (even the very best managers have normally been sacked a few times) would have sensed it coming.

Thats not his fault, but a fact of life and a valuable learning experience for him.

Picking the accident prone Bentley in the place of the safer, but unglamourous Maanpaa on footballs return, this alone tells me he thought his job was save until next season.

3 years left on a new contract is going to see him fine, financially.

As for being distraught at his sacking, I imagine he could be.  He clearly loved being at Bristol City, so to not have the choice to stay is likely very difficult.  Who on here or anywhere wants to leave a place that they are happy in?  No one.

He'll get a job this summer and I reckon it will be a top Championship club or lower Premiership club.  However, maybe he'd have preferred to stay at CIty.

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, one can be aware the Sword of Damocles is hanging over you and still be distraught when it falls. The two are not mutually exclusive.

He'd have been aware his job was at risk, but still shocked when it actually goes. I think everyone is probably shocked when they get the sack - even if, on reflection, they might have deserved it.

As for self-belief, that goes with the job. Football managers face very short tenures and can be sacked for things that are not their fault at all, or not entirely their fault. Only way you can cope with that level of insecurity is by having cast-iron self belief. You can hardly expect to inspire your team if they detect you don't believe in yourself.

Spot on. Especially the last paragraph. 

As you say cast-iron self belief, this is an absolute must for a manager for the reasons you system. 

Would say that he, like basically manager now, how many departures are due to quitting solely over results or lack of belief that a manager can take a club forward? Very few I'd suggest!

He, like 99.9% (maybe more) of managers will be backing themselves, their philosophy with iron belief. They will believe it can be turned around/salvaged until the last possible moment. 

That their way/methods will prevail, this belief will be held until the bitter end. By pretty well any manager.

If he is genuinely shocked that he has been dismissed then his alleged arrogance is far stronger than his grip on reality.

The only 'shock' should come from the supporters, either that he wasn't sacked 2 or 3 years ago, or having survived that, that he was sacked at all.

LJ worked hard. Despite some very notable failings in his skill set up, you most certainly cannot criticise him for lack of application and dedication. The reality is he was in the wrong job and too early. His support team did not cover his deficiencies and the lack of clarity of process a really notable worry when you consider best practice in football and his supposed dedication to studying the best. He failed to follow so many basics of success it is only shocking he was not fired earlier. He is a good coach, players have improved under his guidance, and he has ability. As a coach. How he was allowed to continue the charade of making it up for so long asks questions above. He was put in a role he was not prepared for (may never be prepared for) and that is not his fault. He has the possibility to become a very well respected coach, and indeed he should . Even at the top level. But a number one he is not and never will be. That is not his forte . But you cannot doubt his dedication, application and desire. So many before have been a joke, LJ was not that. Far from it. But it was the wrong time for him and wrong set up. He will get another job, as a manger. But not 4 years, 60 plus players and a huge increase in wage bill each year to succeed. In fact, he will work better with no money, limited signings and a need to improve what he has. He should not be getting insults but equally , with the year on year increases in budget, he was hardly a world beater. The more he had , the less he delivered. Look at the cost of points per season number. For me and my friends, LJ would be a great head of Academy for a top Prem side. Thanks and good luck LJ in your next adventure. 

10 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

LJ worked hard. Despite some very notable failings in his skill set up, you most certainly cannot criticise him for lack of application and dedication. The reality is he was in the wrong job and too early. His support team did not cover his deficiencies and the lack of clarity of process a really notable worry when you consider best practice in football and his supposed dedication to studying the best. He failed to follow so many basics of success it is only shocking he was not fired earlier. He is a good coach, players have improved under his guidance, and he has ability. As a coach. How he was allowed to continue the charade of making it up for so long asks questions above. He was put in a role he was not prepared for (may never be prepared for) and that is not his fault. He has the possibility to become a very well respected coach, and indeed he should . Even at the top level. But a number one he is not and never will be. That is not his forte . But you cannot doubt his dedication, application and desire. So many before have been a joke, LJ was not that. Far from it. But it was the wrong time for him and wrong set up. He will get another job, as a manger. But not 4 years, 60 plus players and a huge increase in wage bill each year to succeed. In fact, he will work better with no money, limited signings and a need to improve what he has. He should not be getting insults but equally , with the year on year increases in budget, he was hardly a world beater. The more he had , the less he delivered. Look at the cost of points per season number. For me and my friends, LJ would be a great head of Academy for a top Prem side. Thanks and good luck LJ in your next adventure. 

Good post.

Although I would suggest that only a few players have improved under his guidance. Bobby Reid being one of the few. Webster also

Far too many have regressed. Kalas, Dasilva, Weimann, to name but a few. And of course Nakhi Wells most recently.

6 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

If SL really wanted him at the club in 2015-16, it should have been as Head Coach of the Academy.

As a coach, his man management weaknesses would not have been seen outside of the four walls of the club.

His consistent public criticism of first team players for even trivial mistakes in the height of battle and the consequences of thereof, by not picking such players as punishment or loaning them out, is, IMO, the major factor why he has failed at City.

He needs to grow up. Punishing and sulking is not the way to manage people! Good managers in any industry help those who make mistakes, to correct and eliminate them in the future.

Archived