IGNORED

Yes Men

Fatalist

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone interested in recruitment led by data, go and have a look at Mrkt Insights.

https://mrktinsights.com/

These are guys who been in and around the game, but a good presence on twitter, who set up their own company, pitched it to Swansea and hit the gig,

I’ve been following some of the individuals for a while, but only just found their podcasts.

Well worth a listen.

As someone who's worked in analytics in football I'm aware of their work and I totally agree they're fantastic! 

It'll be interesting to see how Swansea progress and how much success they get from the multi club networks they want to set up. They're always really complimentary about The City Group and how they use their network of clubs. 

8 hours ago, RedSkin said:

LJ is gone now so can we lay off?

Personally I do not want any manager solely in charge of recruitment like in yesteryear.

All that results in is a manager that buys players that suits him rather than players that suit the philosophy of the club.  

When that manager leaves or is sacked, the next manager brings in his players and before you know it you have bloated squad with fringe players on long contracts with no motivation to perform.

What we need is a club philosophy (do we have one?) that someone like a Director Of Football defines and is responsible for and for the club to recruit and develop players to fit that.  Then hire a coach sympathetic to that philosophy to get the best from them. 

LJ has lost some quality players.  I'm sure he objected to some of those - Webster for example was key to how we planned to play.   Ultimately what could he do other than resign?

To try and portray LJ as a Yes man is well wide of the mark.  Totally irrelevant.  LJ was head coach and that is what he should be judged on.  It's enough to say that he wasn't up to that task without some tosh about being a Yes man.  

The role we are missing is a Director of Football and a clearly articulated philosophy/identity.  It should never have been LJ's role as coach to define that.

I am more than concerned about MAs influence on transfers and to what he is driven by.  Success on the pitch or on the balance sheet?  

Seems at present as far as recruitment goes we need agreement between head coach, CEO, and owner.  All with different and competing criteria of what successful player recruitment/sales looks like.

The DoF should should write the hymn sheet that everyone at the club should be singing from.  The philosophy of the club should govern/arbitrate between coach/CEO/owner of all matters of player recruitment and development.

Calm down!! My post was a response to what I believe the definition of a yes  man is, nothing else. Where did I mention or portray LJ either directly or otherwise?

As you are appearing to be very defensive of LJ I’ll say he did his best, gave us some good memories in the early part of his tenure, ultimately couldn’t deliver the expectations of the owner and fans and walks away with a very nice seven figure payout as compensation for that.......money he is entitled to. What else is there to say about LJ? He’s history now.

I agree with the OP. If someone signs a contract with an employer then they agree to those terms. The owner and board’s philosophy will be discussed at interview and the person that fits into the system set by the employer will be hired. Of course the new manager has the chance to influence the board’s philosophy but broadly they have to match.

The times when you see managers publicly criticising the owner or the board is usually when they have been promised certain things that haven’t happened. That’s when issues arise obviously. 

In short if LJ agreed to the club selling high value assets when he joined then he can’t (and didn’t I don’t think) complain when it happened.

Mr. Hughten, have you played in the tp flight of English football? 

CH: Yes. 

Have you managed in the championship previously? 

Have you achieved promotion to the Premier league as a manager? 

Have you done so more than once and with different clubs? 

CH: Yes

Who says we don't want a yes man? 

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Calm down!! My post was a response to what I believe the definition of a yes  man is, nothing else. Where did I mention or portray LJ either directly or otherwise?

As you are appearing to be very defensive of LJ I’ll say he did his best, gave us some good memories in the early part of his tenure, ultimately couldn’t deliver the expectations of the owner and fans and walks away with a very nice seven figure payout as compensation for that.......money he is entitled to. What else is there to say about LJ? He’s history now.

I am calm.

No, you didn't mention LJ, but your list of what a yes man does fitted very neatly with some of the criticism he got for being a Yes man.  

I'm not necessarily being defensive of LJ, just saying that managers should not have huge say on players ins and outs for the reasons I set out.

Something is missing from the club's set up, whether that's a DoF or not I don't know.  It seems to me that LJ has been defining out identity/footballing philosophy, which is just plain wrong.  What happens now he's gone?   We get a new one from the next manager?  

Archived