IGNORED

Benik leaving?

Major Isewater

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Think it would be a big gamble to sign him permanently.

Wells is our main man as we paid good money for him.

Maybe we will need a couple of new strikers with Afobe leaving and Fam possibly being sold.

I think we can go for sensible options. Many managers like to go one up top, so signing Afobe might have meant either him or Wells on the bench.

Obviously depends on how the new manager wants to play.

Could be one up top (Wells + AN Other) with one behind (Palmer, Paterson, Sammy).

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What happened to all the rumours about Fam leaving in the Summer? Presumably if Afobe goes then we can’t afford to lose him as well?

Well Gregor reckons a big turnover expected.

We won't want players leaving for free in 2021.

Having said that, these are unusual times for transfers. The usual dominoe effect might not happen.

I think this summer it will be more about getting rid than getting in for most clubs, so there could be bargains to be had  by those solvent enough to take advantage.  I think City will be one of the better placed financially than most others in the EFL.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Having said that, these are unusual times for transfers. The usual dominoe effect might not happen.

It feels like it’s time to be ruthless - if in doubt - get rid. 
That will allow the new manager some scope to build his own squad - hopefully a smaller first team squad with more chances for youngsters. 

Just now, Rudolf Hucker said:

Surely, before making this decision, the club will have agreed this with Hughton, Gerrard, Cook van Bommell, Warnock, Pulis, Jokanovic, Robbins, Bowyer, McCarthy and Slot? Bloody hope so. 

Do we need that many managers?

If he'd have come flying out of the starting blocks on return to football, there would no doubt be a bit of an uproar.

He didn't so people aren't that upset.

Good luck Benik, no doubt you helped BCFC at the beginning of the season and I was deeply saddened by your loss. All the best.

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

That will allow the new manager some scope to build his own squad - hopefully a smaller first team squad with more chances for youngsters. 

I completely agree with you. 

The downside is the sense of starting again. Another transition season.

Also, I'm all for Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics coming back into the fold and perhaps O'Leary and Bakinson too.

The next manager needs to be someone who will attract players in his own right. Due to Covid and lack of revenue, clubs will not be able to lure players splashing the cash with as lucrative contracts as pre Covid. 

A big question during the interview process needs to be, which players could you bring with you? Money spent on a quality manager could save money on bringing players in.

27 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What happened to all the rumours about Fam leaving in the Summer? Presumably if Afobe goes then we can’t afford to lose him as well?

We can get a replacement for Fam cheaper than £8 mil and £35k a week. If Wigan goes down then someone like Moore could be a good cheap target man option. 

Completely agree. If the new manager wants Benik, I'm sure we'll enter the market for him. 

Mark Ashton had been trying to renegotiate prices on Afobe/Pereira anyway according to Gregor, so the agreed fees are likely to be higher than what we could end up getting them for this summer anyway. 

I'd probably release everyone out of contract, and send all loans back. I'd perhaps keep Smith as a back up in case Walsh/Morrell don't take to the division like we all hope they do. 

5 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Also, I'm all for Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics coming back into the fold and perhaps O'Leary and Bakinson too.

Despite having managerial consistency for 4+ years we’ve got the sort of squad you end up with rapidly changing managers - lots of players, none of whom seem to quite fit together. 
I’d be tempted to go with a really small first team squad but cut down all the loans and see switch of those players - O’Leary, Pring, Vyner, Bakinson, Szmodics, Morrell, Walsh and so on and so on... sink and which swim. 

30 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Depending on the style the next head coach/manager wants to play you'd probably look to find someone who matched Diedhiou's style a bit more if you're replacing him

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Regrettably it's the correct call.

Wells was signed to replace him and we can't afford both. Plus his recent injury record makes him too high a risk signing. 

Tend to agree, but with a tinge of sadness of what might’ve been. ☹️☹️☹️

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Think it would be a big gamble to sign him permanently.

Wells is our main man as we paid good money for him.

Maybe we will need a couple of new strikers with Afobe leaving and Fam possibly being sold.

I think we can go for sensible options. Many managers like to go one up top, so signing Afobe might have meant either him or Wells on the bench.

Obviously depends on how the new manager wants to play.

Beat me to it Jon.

In many respects, LJ had just “settled” (or guessed ?) his way to 4411 (4141) with Diedhiou up top, with 3 wins on the trot (soon to be a fourth)...and then signed Wells.

With funds short, cheaper to buy midfielders than strikers.

If the new man is a “one up top guy” you could argue that Wells and Weimann (I can hear you spluttering Jon ?) are his first choices, Wells his true number one though.  Backed by Semenyo and / or maybe a new, cheaper recruit, say a Tyler Walker who’d fit a similar model type to Wells and Weimann.

You use your Diedhiou money that might’ve been planned for Afobe to bolster elsewhere, e.g. midfield.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Completely agree. If the new manager wants Benik, I'm sure we'll enter the market for him. 

Mark Ashton had been trying to renegotiate prices on Afobe/Pereira anyway according to Gregor, so the agreed fees are likely to be higher than what we could end up getting them for this summer anyway. 

I'd probably release everyone out of contract, and send all loans back. I'd perhaps keep Smith as a back up in case Walsh/Morrell don't take to the division like we all hope they do. 

Also... surely now is the time to only play players who will definitely be here next season. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Depending on the style the next head coach/manager wants to play you'd probably look to find someone who matched Diedhiou's style a bit more if you're replacing him

I hope the new manager that comes in has a style that means we don’t sign anyone who plays like LJ has asked him to play.

In fairness to Diedhiou, he played very different in France to his he has been asked to play here since returning from injury in the back half of 17/18.  The Diedhiou we saw pre-injury was a much freer player, albeit had probably just got accustomed to the pace and power of the Champ.

When he came back it seemed to be as a target man...which despite his 6’2 / 6’3 and muscular frame was not the role I’d seen him play at Angers, nor is it his best.

33 minutes ago, mozo said:

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

We can get a replacement for Fam cheaper than £8 mil and £35k a week. If Wigan goes down then someone like Moore could be a good cheap target man option. 

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

Good points.

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Out of those it's only O'Leary for me

46 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Surely, before making this decision, the club will have agreed this with Hughton, Gerrard, Cook van Bommell, Warnock, Pulis, Jokanovic, Robbins, Bowyer, McCarthy and Slot? Bloody hope so. 

Good Lord!

With that management team will we be able to afford any players?

• The title was changed to Benik leaving?

Afobe going back and is not buying him will lighten the financial load for us. Selling diedhiou and eliasson will also not only free up good wages but potentially circa 10 mill For other transfers. 
I think we’ll make use of loan market and go for someone like Brewster or maybe buy someone In demand like balogun who is coming to end of contract with arsenal To play alongside arsenal.

How do we shift players? Most clubs will be on a very tight budget, so I’m sure that most contracted players won’t be In a rush to leave. There may be bargains to be had, but a large squad and a large wage bill will certainly limit our recruitment options. 
As for Benik, in normal times I’m sure we would have looked to sign him, but these are not normal times.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

How about Danny Ward, Dave? Not sure I have mentioned him? ?

I am interested to see what a new manager does with Weimann. I don't think he has ever consistently been a lone striker so will have to wait and see if that works if he is to be back up to Wells. If that's what we go with then he will no doubt get his chance there with so many games over a season.

On Semenyo I am interested to see him in a lone role because there was one evening game where LJ moved Weimann out wide and we had Semenyo up top on his own briefly second half and he looked so much more comfortable than he was in a 2 man attack.

When up top with Weimann first half Semenyo looked confused as to whether to make a run or come deep. Was awful before that change was made. Not Weimann's fault. Semenyo just did not have a clue what to do on and off the ball up top in a 442.

Second half he looked far better not having to work with a strike partner.

He has all the natural physcial qualities to do the lone striker role. I am still very optimistic about Semenyo. My Rovers mate said he was amazing against them, said he will be some player. And Sunderland fans were only impressed with him that night. 

I reckon he is likely to be loaned out, which is probably the sensible choice right now. I would not be against giving him a go but I guess we might have to be a bit careful not to give too many of these kids a go.

Watkins I would even like up top to be honest! Being 6 foot 1, strong, hard work rate and ability to score goals. Got good movement too and really not bad technically at all imo.

Realistically we will bring in at least one, maybe two new strikers if Fam is sold and with Afobe going back to Stoke.

Nothing against him at all...apart from his goal on Saturday ?

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

How do we shift players? Most clubs will be on a very tight budget, so I’m sure that most contracted players won’t be In a rush to leave. There may be bargains to be had, but a large squad and a large wage bill will certainly limit our recruitment options. 
As for Benik, in normal times I’m sure we would have looked to sign him, but these are not normal times.

Those amiable to a European move....which mitigates some covid impacts (not all).  That makes Eliasson and Diedhiou more saleable than say a Marley Watkins.

Archived