IGNORED

Benik leaving?

Major Isewater

If you look at our results since the end of January, you will notice the instant decline. I can't help but think the whole Nketiah saga started the rot...Wells and Adobe just added to the whole sham of pursuing Nketiah for so long.

I'd love to know who insisted on trying to get Nketiah...Ashton or LJ.

It all went downhill after the Nketiah saga...I think a lot of our problems stem from that.

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One suspects LJ is thinking the same...

Imagine if he'd stayed fit all season ?

I was gonna say this. I think if Afobe had been available for 80% of the season we'd probably (possibly?) have been well set for the play offs by the time the league shut down

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

How does that equate to Benik is leaving @Major Isewater ?

Was there more to the article because he's not even mentioned in what you posted?

I should have posted the link , apologies.

Thanks for the ‘ ? ‘ it being in the Post should be enough to doubt the content but better safe than sorry .

:innocent06:

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you look at our results since the end of January, you will notice the instant decline. I can't help but think the whole Nketiah saga started the rot...Wells and Adobe just added to the whole sham of pursuing Nketiah for so long.

I'd love to know who insisted on trying to get Nketiah...Ashton or LJ.

It all went downhill after the Nketiah saga...I think a lot of our problems stem from that.

Dunno Spudski. It would have MA doing the chasing of NKetiah and keeping LJ in the loop so to speak.

Our decline started when Afobe did his ACL Imo. That injury started the ball rolling in terms trying to find a suitable replacement of which NKetiah was one. Had that injury not occurred - who knows?  :dunno: LJ could still be in a job...........:cool2:

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dunno Spudski. It would have MA doing the chasing of NKetiah and keeping LJ in the loop so to speak.

Our decline started when Afobe did his ACL Imo. That injury started the ball rolling in terms trying to find a suitable replacement of which NKetiah was one. Had that injury not occurred - who knows?  :dunno: LJ could still be in a job...........:cool2:

Nketiah was wanted way before Afobe RR, who was bought as an after thought imo...as was Wells to replace Adobe. We shot ourselves in the foot chasing Nketiah for so long and ending up looking like right mugs.

I think the decline started from there and I can imagine fireworks between Ashton and LJ for such a bumbling effort in putting eggs all in one basket.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Regrettably it's the correct call.

Wells was signed to replace him and we can't afford both. Plus his recent injury record makes him too high a risk signing. 

Spot on.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What happened to all the rumours about Fam leaving in the Summer? Presumably if Afobe goes then we can’t afford to lose him as well?

Fam has 1 year left on his deal. COVID will change many things.  Perhaps the most attractive option for all involved would be to re-sign.  He gets stability in a crazy world, we get to keep a player that has had marked improvement.

He can absolutely do the business in this league.  If he penned a 2 year extension that would bridge the time need for Semenyo to break through. 

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nketiah was wanted way before Afobe RR, who was bought as an after thought imo...as was Wells to replace Adobe. We shot ourselves in the foot chasing Nketiah for so long and ending up looking like right mugs.

I think the decline started from there and I can imagine fireworks between Ashton and LJ for such a bumbling effort in putting eggs all in one basket.

You’re right Spudski. I’d forgotten that Afobe was brought in after the NKetiah fiasco. 

I hope the next manager can get the best out of Wells. Can't help but feel he's the poor version of Afobe (both definitely have the skill) but Wells just doesn't seem to have settled well in the team. Appreciate that could be down to the way Lee had the team playing which Wells may have been getting frustrated with (e.g lack of service) but Afobe seemed to be much more passionate when he played and had more about him when he played than just a goal threat.

Wells could turn out to be one of the biggest flops we've bought so I'm hoping the next man in can help kick start his time with us.

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Wells could turn out to be one of the biggest flops we've bought so I'm hoping the next man in can help kick start his time with us.

£5m looks a bad deal at this point. Is it even as bad as the money we spent on Kalas though, he hasn't been anywhere near that level since we sold Webster. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

LJ did the presentation to Arsenal. No idea if MA attended with him.

13 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I hope the next manager can get the best out of Wells. Can't help but feel he's the poor version of Afobe (both definitely have the skill) but Wells just doesn't seem to have settled well in the team. Appreciate that could be down to the way Lee had the team playing which Wells may have been getting frustrated with (e.g lack of service) but Afobe seemed to be much more passionate when he played and had more about him when he played than just a goal threat.

And yet he’s still finding the back of the net .

He is a top striker and used correctly will be a top signing for us .

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

£5m looks a bad deal at this point. Is it even as bad as the money we spent on Kalas though, he hasn't been anywhere near that level since we sold Webster. 

You do make a good point with Kalas and Webster in that it goes to show how important it is (for some players) to have the right players around them in order to get the best out of them. Maybe thats the missing part for Wells?

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Yeah. Imagine what a player we'd have if we used him and the players around him in the right way. 

It certainly would help soften the blow of Afobe returning to Stoke.

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Exactly. One of the the first thing a new manager will do is identify who his main goalscorer could be. They'll look at Wells and see the opportunity.

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

If that happens maybe the new man might go for Taylor at charlton on a free just wages .

Yes I wonder if that's still a goer.

Working on the assumption that one out of Diedhiou and Afobe is off, Taylor on a free feels like it could be a astute addition- especially in a time of financial uncertainty for football.

51 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

You do make a good point with Kalas and Webster in that it goes to show how important it is (for some players) to have the right players around them in order to get the best out of them. Maybe thats the missing part for Wells?

Mind you with LJ's chopping and changing personnel and formations from one week to the next, playing in our back line must be like speed dating.

Hardly the best way to build a relationship and know that you're with the right partner.

Can't help but think that Moore and Kalas is the pairing we should be looking to.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Mind you with LJ's chopping and changing personnel and formations from one week to the next, playing in our back line must be like speed dating.

Hardly the best way to build a relationship and know that you're with the right partner.

Can't help but think that Moore and Kalas is the pairing we should be looking to.

Hope we go with that for the last 5, give it a proper run. Just feels like there is the right combination of age, reasonable technical ability particularly in Moore's case and especially in Moore's case ball-carrying ability, and characteristics for that pair as CBs to enable us to play higher up the pitch.

24 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Absolutely agreed. 

I'd love to know the logic behind the frequent changes in centre half pairing. How can you develop an understanding and solidity without playing alongside a set partner week in week out? If I was Kalas  I'd be really pissed off. 

My only concern is that they're both right footed, and without Pack or a linking player in his mould, I'd like to see a left footer at LCB to open up more passing lanes. As far as I'm aware Baker is our only left footed center half.  

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Absolutely agreed. 

I'd love to know the logic behind the frequent changes in centre half pairing. How can you develop an understanding and solidity without playing alongside a set partner week in week out? If I was Kalas  I'd be really pissed off. 

My only concern is that they're both right footed, and without Pack or a linking player in his mould, I'd like to see a left footer at LCB to open up more passing lanes. As far as I'm aware Baker is our only left footed center half.  

3-5-2 perhaps?

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

3-5-2 perhaps?

I'd say that'd suit our current centre halves best, personally. Kalas and Baker aren't slow either mind, Baker can seriously shift when he wants to. I'd love to know the stats for fastest over 20 and 40 yards at the club. 

Sure people will disagree with me.

My idea on 3-5-2 could be- this is a bit of mixing and matting and probably to think of in pre Covid times so this is what we could've won maybe, that kinda thing:

Maenpaa or Bentley- can't decide! They both have merits and tbh the former has done little wrong in his time here- let's say Maenpaa on recent form.

Maenpaa

Moore Kalas Benkovic

Hunt Smith Nagy DaSilva

Palmer

Weimann Afobe

This still leaves a risk of 2 vs 1 in the middle BUT as we can see, two genuine ball carriers either side of Kalas means one can step into midfield to help bolster- WBs drop back to full back, suddenly looking at 4-3-1-2.

Weimann though not a natural wideman, can pull wider to help out Hunt as and when with respect to 2 v 1. Still it leaves a potential problem with DaSilva in a 2 v 1, but our fairly condensed centre would buy us time to filter back in and if that happens, maybe open up potential for quick breaks too. Baker has his uses but don't see him carrying the ball up the pitch, stepping into midfield necessarily.

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Surely, before making this decision, the club will have agreed this with Hughton, Gerrard, Cook van Bommell, Warnock, Pulis, Jokanovic, Robbins, Bowyer, McCarthy and Slot? Bloody hope so. 

well if we get all them in, we won't need any extra players

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Our decline started when Afobe did his ACL Imo. 

And yet, without Afobe, after we beat Fulham in December we were joint third, level with Fulham. Eight points off the top (Leeds). We struggled a bit after that but then recovered and in the middle of February we beat Derby with contributions from new signings, including Wells, and with two thirds of the season gone we were seventh, level on points with 6th placed Preston, and just three points, one win off second place Leeds.

We made ground on Leeds, without Afobe. Going into the final third of the season, an automatic promotion place is within touching distance. 

With new additions to the squad we were, same as the previous two seasons, in contention for at least 6th spot and a play-off shot, finally.

But the January additions led to muddle, mess and for the third season in a row, City crumbling at the business end. Culminating in the post covid shambles of the last four game, despite a fit again Afobe (and "perfect" preparation). Or, perhaps, because of having a fit Afobe, and too many fit players and options? Too much choice.

49 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

To be honest, I’m more saleable than Marley Watkins (at least with more discerning ladies)

Where do you stand with the less discerning ladies - although I's imagine there's more lying down than standing?

Archived