IGNORED

Benik leaving?

Major Isewater

24 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

And yet, without Afobe, after we beat Fulham in December we were joint third, level with Fulham. Eight points off the top (Leeds). We struggled a bit after that but then recovered and in the middle of February we beat Derby with contributions from new signings, including Wells, and with two thirds of the season gone we were seventh, level on points with 6th placed Preston, and just three points, one win off second place Leeds.

We made ground on Leeds, without Afobe. Going into the final third of the season, an automatic promotion place is within touching distance. 

With new additions to the squad we were, same as the previous two seasons, in contention for at least 6th spot and a play-off shot, finally.

But the January additions led to muddle, mess and for the third season in a row, City crumbling at the business end. Culminating in the post covid shambles of the last four game, despite a fit again Afobe (and "perfect" preparation). Or, perhaps, because of having a fit Afobe, and too many fit players and options? Too much choice.

Until Afobe's injury there were very positive signs of new players bedding in and cause for much optimism. Palmer seemed to be on the same wavelength as BA and Weimann and the player w've needed to unlock defences, Nagy looked a distinct upgrade on Pack and noon could believe how we'd managed to sign HNM ( other than on behalf of Chelsea. We also had Moore starting to realise his potential and forming a good pairing with Kalas.

Then we suffered injuries to Afobe  and Nagy and although we managed to stay there, or thereabouts until the new year, we never really liked convincing and as LJ tinkered, chopped and changed it seemed as though it was only sa matter of time until the wheels came off, which of course they did.

The irony is that the pandemic break meant that LJ had time to work with a fully fit squad for the first time since the beginning of the season, but as you say the return has been nothing short of disastrous - certainly it was for LJ!

It seemed increasingly that LJ's almost constant changes in personnel and formations were him searching and hoping for something that would work  when every other idea had failed.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Lamp posts. 

Preserving social distancing?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes I wonder if that's still a goer.

Working on the assumption that one out of Diedhiou and Afobe is off, Taylor on a free feels like it could be a astute addition- especially in a time of financial uncertainty for football.

Yes pops i could see Taylor linking up well with Naki plenty of pace upfront and goals .

5 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Despite having managerial consistency for 4+ years we’ve got the sort of squad you end up with rapidly changing managers - lots of players, none of whom seem to quite fit together. 
I’d be tempted to go with a really small first team squad but cut down all the loans and see switch of those players - O’Leary, Pring, Vyner, Bakinson, Szmodics, Morrell, Walsh and so on and so on... sink and which swim. 

Funny isn't it, that nobody is mentioning Semenyo - the forgotten star in the making!

Not digging at you Mendip City, just picked your post as it had the list of our Academy hopefuls.

6 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

I think this summer it will be more about getting rid than getting in for most clubs, so there could be bargains to be had  by those solvent enough to take advantage.  I think City will be one of the better placed financially than most others in the EFL.

I think that's right, next season must be the one to use our younger players rather than sign anyone Moore, Walsh, O'leary, Morell, Vyner etc. 

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Regrettably it's the correct call.

Wells was signed to replace him and we can't afford both. Plus his recent injury record makes him too high a risk signing. 

I disagree. Think he looks quality and worth the risk...

31 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Funny isn't it, that nobody is mentioning Semenyo - the forgotten star in the making!

Not digging at you Mendip City, just picked your post as it had the list of our Academy hopefuls.

To be honest mate I was getting bored of writing so many names!!! We really do talk a good academy but it’s delivered very little in the last couple of teams (for our first team anyway). 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

And yet, without Afobe, after we beat Fulham in December we were joint third, level with Fulham. Eight points off the top (Leeds). We struggled a bit after that but then recovered and in the middle of February we beat Derby with contributions from new signings, including Wells, and with two thirds of the season gone we were seventh, level on points with 6th placed Preston, and just three points, one win off second place Leeds.

We made ground on Leeds, without Afobe. Going into the final third of the season, an automatic promotion place is within touching distance. 

With new additions to the squad we were, same as the previous two seasons, in contention for at least 6th spot and a play-off shot, finally.

But the January additions led to muddle, mess and for the third season in a row, City crumbling at the business end. Culminating in the post covid shambles of the last four game, despite a fit again Afobe (and "perfect" preparation). Or, perhaps, because of having a fit Afobe, and too many fit players and options? Too much choice.

Good point, we need a smaller squad, hard to build a team spirit with so many players.

Archived