IGNORED

It’s quite an exciting time......

Robbored

Many, if not all of us were pretty fed up with the state of the footballing element of the club under LJ particularly the dreary, dismal and sideways style of turgid football we were subjected to at AG - the exact same style put on by his father - the difference was that GJ was winning more games.

Add to that his constant chopping and changing the team (sure injuries sometimes dictated that) and adopting tactics and formations that only Spudski and Cowshed could fathom and I certainly got the impression that he didn’t really know his best 11 if everyone was available. Strange that since LJ got sacked that I’ve realised just how shackled and stale the whole playing set up had become.

I’m happy that the Johnson influence has finally left the club and excited at the thought of the new man coming in with a new broom with new ideas and really livening up ethos of the club and to be honest I don’t really mind who the new guy is - he’ll be breath of fresh air and that’s what matters to me at least.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many, if not all of us were pretty fed up with the state of the footballing element of the club under LJ particularly the dreary, dismal and sideways style of turgid football we were subjected to at AG - the exact same style put on by his father - the difference was that GJ was winning more games.

Add to that his constant chopping and changing the team (sure injuries sometimes dictated that) and adopting tactics and formations that only Spudski and Cowshed could fathom and I certainly got the impression that he didn’t really know his best 11 if everyone was available. Strange that since LJ got sacked that I’ve realised just how shackled and stale the whole playing set up had become.

I’m happy that the Johnson influence has finally left the club and excited at the thought of the new man coming in with a new broom with new ideas and really livening up ethos of the club and to be honest I don’t really mind who the new guy is - he’ll be breath of fresh air and that’s what matters to me at least.

Plus, the Dolman sound system might get fixed as well. ?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Agree and although I’m sure you won’t share my view but, at his peak, GJ felt like a talismanic figure at the club.  It’s sadly now got to the point where a mere mention of the name Johnson in connection to our club, brings a feeling of gloom to me.

I think at present, the future of football is too uncertain to actually get excited about the future, but it’s certainly a relief to know we’ve hopefully got some better football to look forward to, because it would surely be hard to get worse than how it ended under LJ.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So you’ll be happy with Gary Johnson? 

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hopefully the man with have that at the top his “to do” list................:cool2:

I sit very close to you so we get the same sound. Gone beyond a joke now, promises but nothing gets done.

14 minutes ago, Desso said:

I sit very close to you so we get the same sound. Gone beyond a joke now, promises but nothing gets done.

I am a safety officer and the way I test tannoy/ pa systems is to read a prepared speech of random statements, under working conditions ( machinery and workshop noises) and get the "listeners" to transcribe what they have heard. It's surely a safety issue that the club should sort out, otherwise what's the point of having the system in place?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Good post Al glad you saw through him in the end dont forget his petulant rows with no going back with most of the players which eventually cost him his job.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

“Stale” was the word I used a few weeks ago.  We were over the peak with LJ, and it was on a very slippery slope.

I hate the term “lost the dressing room”, but I do feel relationships between players and LJ had gone downward.

I’m a believer that LJ can convince certain characters (mainly the younger guys), but once that wears off, you see him / his coaching for what it really is.....theoretical! You’ll know more about that “psychology stuff” than me, but once you’ve seen the light there ain’t no going back.

And I think several more players have seen the light, or perhaps had it explained to them....and it’s all gone sour.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“Stale” was the word I used a few weeks ago.  We were over the peak with LJ, and it was on a very slippery slope.

I hate the term “lost the dressing room”, but I do feel relationships between players and LJ had gone downward.

I’m a believer that LJ can convince certain characters (mainly the younger guys), but once that wears off, you see him / his coaching for what it really is.....theoretical! You’ll know more about that “psychology stuff” than me, but once you’ve seen the light there ain’t no going back.

And I think several more players have seen the light, or perhaps had it explained to them....and it’s all gone sour.

Dave......does LJs  tenure remind you of a previous manger?        :cool2:

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dave......does LJs  tenure remind you of a previous manger?        :cool2:

If you’re referring to a relative of his....I’m gonna say I was a bit of a “part time fan” in those days, young family etc, do I don’t know.  I’d watch on telly, but that was it....so nowhere near the interest / insight I regained when I started taking Joe at the start of 13/14 (SOD = child cruelty).  I’ve been in here less than 5 years too!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If you’re referring to a relative of his....I’m gonna say I was a bit of a “part time fan” in those days, young family etc, do I don’t know.  I’d watch on telly, but that was it....so nowhere near the interest / insight I regained when I started taking Joe at the start of 13/14 (SOD = child cruelty).  I’ve been in here less than 5 years too!

The mirror of his fathers tenure  - the difference being the fact that the same brand of football earned GJ a play off final.....and subsequently got found out........a one trick pony as I said at the time.

Recently I read other negative comparisons between GJ and LJ...and honestly I find them quite strange: one of the things I liked the most of my first season following City (0708) was the balance between entertaining play and solidness, and I remember that I was satisfied after waching many games of the following years of GJ's era too. Then there were the results, and having conquered a promotion in the previous season and then almost another one (far more difficult) is not something to undervalue, especially with a club that hasn't a history of great success. Surely Gary made some mistakes in his City adventure and his side wasn't always enjoyable to watch (like almost every team, I'd say), but I have great memories about him.

I think that Lee's history's is different in many ways, even if he had his good/great moments too, as many of us pointed out after the sack.

That being said...I'm quite excited too about the recruitement of a new manager and the new cycle he could start. ?

Archived