IGNORED

Thank You Lee Johnson

bengalcub

Controversial i know but he's given alot to our club as a player and the manager , i respect him alot for having the balls to manage our club given how well he was doing at barnsley and also the fact he knew he was marmite as a player here and hia appointment wouldnt/didnt go down well with some , his appointment was greeted with some positive some negetive and some meh .... but on the whole hes done well for our club and given us some great highs that far outweigh the lows , the man u game and cup run will define his time here and has given us all memories that will last the next 20 years or so. The timing i feel was right to part ways and move on , i was in the meh camp and remained their throughout his time but on reflection now thank you lee for what you've given to the club and the memories you have given me and fellow reds . Good luck in the future?

9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Controversial i know but he's given alot to our club as a player and the manager , i respect him alot for having the balls to manage our club given how well he was doing at barnsley and also the fact he knew he was marmite as a player here and hia appointment wouldnt/didnt go down well with some , his appointment was greeted with some positive some negetive and some meh .... but on the whole hes done well for our club and given us some great highs that far outweigh the lows , the man u game and cup run will define his time here and has given us all memories that will last the next 20 years or so. The timing i feel was right to part ways and move on , i was in the meh camp and remained their throughout his time but on reflection now thank you lee for what you've given to the club and the memories you have given me and fellow reds . Good luck in the future?

Is a thank you thread going to pop every day ? 
we’ve said thanks, he’s gone move on 

Embarrassing post by op

Thanks for the memories?

The boring football, the negative tactics, the unfathomable team selections, subs , formations, the 9 windows and of course the tombola.

Yes thanks Lee hope the door didn't bang your arse on the way out, Oh - and Steve says to let you know the £1.5M payoff cheque should be with you by Friday.

16 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Embarrassing post by op

Thanks for the memories?

The boring football, the negative tactics, the unfathomable team selections, subs , formations, the 9 windows and of course the tombola.

Yes thanks Lee hope the door didn't bang your arse on the way out, Oh - and Steve says to let you know the £1.5M payoff cheque should be with you by Friday.

I am far from a Johnson fan, I didn't want him in the 1st place and I think he should have gone a long time before he did but even I can recognise that he gave us some good memories. Beating united pushing man city until the very end over 2 legs. Battling a very good wolves side and the football when reid was upfront was bloody good to watch. 

Like I say I think it's over due him going but you can still recognise the good times.  

I dont know what is controversial or embarrassing about the opening post. Johnson obviously held the club dear to his heart and did a very good job overall. It was the right time to change but that doesnt mean he doesnt deserve all the respect and thanks.

I did not see the earlier thank you threads, so grateful to op for starting this one.

I give Lee a huge Thank You for all he has done for BCFC, I have really enjoyed the 4 years overall, he and we know the football has been mostly dreadful to watch this year, but you judge someone over the whole period. Afobes injury and Brownhill going (both beyond his control - did for this season).

I am one of those marmite fans, I hated him as a player (cost us the play off final, when his dad tried to shoehorn him onto the pitch and moved others out of position), but I have really enjoyed his time as manager, don't disagreed with the decision to part company, but had some great away days with him and other then this season, its been an enjoyable watch... 

So thanks Lee and hope you are back in footy soon, will also get a standing ovation from me whenever he returns to BS3.............

30 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Embarrassing post by op

Thanks for the memories?

The OP was certainly not "embarrassing" but yours definitely is.....

Lee helped progress us as a club and I wish him well. The defining memories will not be of a cup run and half a season of great football, rather of the frustrating/boring football that we had the majority of his tenure.  His heart was definitely in the right place but it was clear that in the end he couldn't manage a talented group of players effectively.  It will be interesting to see where he ends up next as his stature is I believe taller elsewhere than it is in Bristol.

14 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

A poor appointment based upon nothing but nepotism.

He did a poor job for the club on and off the pitch and got away with it for years.

Lets dee how good he is on an even playing field.

You joking right?

This season aside, he improved us every season. We were staring relegation in the face when he took over...

Some people have very short memories.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

You joking right?

This season aside, he improved us every season. We were staring relegation in the face when he took over...

Your point is undeniably correct. I will just add that in terms of football played we are playing worse football that has until now proved effective enough to keep us Top 10

18 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

A poor appointment based upon nothing but nepotism.

He did a poor job for the club on and off the pitch and got away with it for years.

Spot on. 

Those of arguing this over the past couple of years were, of course, always challenged by others saying that Lee Johnson would come good in the end.

As predicted he didn't. 

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You joking right?

It’s statistically true. Our final goal difference and points total during his tenure is as follows, Ive kept his first part season in for context:

-7 55

+6 70

+9 67

-6 54

-17 52

I don’t think it’s amazing to be honest. Especially bearing in mind that from 17/18 onward, we have (for sustained periods) been well inside the top 6 and yet never made the play offs. 

Thats a massive failure.

If the bar is that “at least we didn’t get relegated”,  then that’s pretty lamentable.

There are a lot of fair criticisms of LJ but he took over a team facing relegation and leaves behind a consistently top half team with a strong youth set-up. The football has not been great and this season has been frustrating but, of all the managers we have had in the time I have supported the club - going back to Joe Jordan‘s first spell - there are only three that anyone could objectively say had more success on the pitch.

I am massively appreciative of the job LJ and the club have done over four and a half years, pleased he has gone before the memories soured completely and hopeful a new manager can build on what worked whilst moving on from what did not.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

There are a lot of fair criticisms of LJ but he took over a team facing relegation and leaves behind a consistently top half team with a strong youth set-up. The football has not been great and this season has been frustrating but, of all the managers we have had in the time I have supported the club - going back to Joe Jordan‘s first spell - there are only three that anyone could objectively say had more success on the pitch.

I am massively appreciative of the job LJ and the club have done over four and a half years, pleased he has gone before the memories soured completely and hopeful a new manager can build on what worked whilst moving on from what did not.

Yep, all good points.

I think everyone now agrees he just reached his ceiling and despite three good years, never had the ability to finish the job. 

With that in mind and promotion being SL’s goal, he quite simply isn’t the man for the job.

9 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s statistically true. Our final goal difference and points total during his tenure is as follows, Ive kept his first part season in for context:

-7 55

+6 70

+9 67

-6 54

-17 52

I don’t think it’s amazing to be honest. Especially bearing in mind that from 17/18 onward, we have (for sustained periods) been well inside the top 6 and yet never made the play offs. 

Thats a massive failure.

If the bar is that “at least we didn’t get relegated”,  then that’s pretty lamentable.

Okay more context...

First full season, he lost Kodjia

Than had Tammy Abraham, lost him

Bobby Reid started banging in goals... he lost him, along with Aden Flint and Joe Bryan.

The next summer he lost Adam Webster and then half way thru this season he lost Josh Brownhill.

All those players apart from maybe Flint, are all class players at this level and some of them premier league level...

Makes his improvement of us even more impressive... most city managers in my memory, have struggled once they lost one player... let alone a few...

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Okay more context...

Bobby Reid started banging in goals... he lost him, along with Aden Flint and Joe Bryan.

The next summer he lost Adam Webster and then half way thru this season he lost Josh Brownhill.

All those players apart from maybe Flint, are all class players at this level and some of them premier league level...

Makes his improvement of us even more impressive... most city managers in my memory, have struggled once let lost one player... let alone a few...

Lee, is that you?

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Okay more context...

Makes his improvement of us even more impressive... most city managers in my memory, have struggled once let lost one player... let alone a few...

Every team lose players. I can read off the players Brentford have lost if you like? 

Lose all the players in the world, but we should have an identity on how we play. We don't. After four years I'd say that is pretty poor.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Okay more context...

Makes his improvement of us even more impressive... most city managers in my memory, have struggled once they lost one player... let alone a few...

It's absolutely fine to add that context, but only if you're going to add a similar context to every other club in the league. What players did they have to sell? Were they given the funds to reinvest in the team? Who did they lose through injury? Did they go into administration?

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Okay more context...

LJ losing his better players pretty much every window was something I mentioned on here in the context of despite that he was doing a decent enough job ‘with one hand tied behind his back’

However it was pointed out to me that many, if not all Championship managers lose players on a regular basis yet still manage to do well. Brentford were used as one example.

That wasn’t something I’d considered...............:dunno:

Archived