IGNORED

Thank You Lee Johnson

bengalcub

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I love it when people say “lost his best players” but conveniently decided to omit “and replaced them with better ones who he couldn’t get to perform”. 

Sorry.. who are the players that are better than Webster, Reid & Brownhill??

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely his tenure has not been without its challenges, but these are the challenges that the Steve Lansdown project will continually throw up.

At some point you either deal with it or you move on.

My original point was he did a good job given the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

My original point was he did a good job given the circumstances.

I think it’s a scale. I think he did alright. 

I also think it was a failure how he seemingly let the side slip from nailed on play off positions each year.

Its about perspective I suppose. For me the improvement was that the annual loss of form and slip down the table wasn’t as bad each year.

Theres a difference between that and slow climb up the table each year.

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Sorry.. who are the players that are better than Webster, Reid & Brownhill??

Kalas is more proven than Webster was when he signed.

Reid isn’t as good as Wells or Afobe. 

Brownhill... well LJ just took a scattergun approach to sign almost every midfielder going to replace him. And failed.

Fact is LJ was, still is and always has been divisive. 

Some never wanted him from the start and will never give any credit and probably wouldn't have even if he took us up. There were plenty of negatives.

Some are gutted he is gone and if we are promoted in the next few seasons will say he laid the foundation for that. There were plenty of positives.

Truth as always is probably somewhere in the middle, we can debate the small details and circumstances one way or other on here till we're blue in the face. That's football.

Or we can just acknowledge someone, who by all accounts, could not have worked harder for the club and it's fans, and was involved in what has been arguably our best and most consistent period of progression as a club and in the Championship in most fans lifetimes. 

That being said, one thing we can't argue about, is it's history now. 

Maybe it's my rapidly encroaching dotage - I note I am months older than the ancient Chris Hughton - but this apparent obligation to thank someone for a job mediocrely done strikes me as both a bit wet and very PC.

I have no personal feelings towards LJ but the dreadful, tedious football he's been responsible for at AG for most of the last 2 seasons has left me bloody miserable football-wise to the extent I fear I was on the verge of losing my lifelong passion for BCFC.

That's not a state of affairs I feel moved to want to thank him for, whether that's 'nice' or not.

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

You missed out the loss to West Brom.

My mistake. 5 games

Ok, but if you want to include West Brom then it is important to add that it was a cup game, against a Premier League side.

Not a priority, in other words (ie Wilbs started, Kodjia on the bench; Little instead of Ayling, Max instead of Richard O'Donnell etc).

What is interesting in looking back at that short period between Cotts going and Lee starting is how Pemberton was able to instantly transform our defence and give us a base upon which to build. As we remember he swept away Cotts' 3-5-2 thing and employed a basic 4-4-2.

And in those 4 league games, we conceded 1 goal. Include the cup game against Prem opposition and it was 5 games, 2 goals conceded.

Prior to this, under Cotts, we had conceded 46 goals in 26 league games.

Look at that Pemberton "reign" even closer and you see from the stats for shots on target that this was no fluke:

Middlesbrough 2 (shots on target)

Leeds  1

Birmingham  2

Charlton  3

Now see how many shots on target we managed in those games:

City  5  (on target)  Boro  2 (on target)

Leeds  1  City  3

City  5  Birmingham  2

Charlton 3  City  6

You got it! More than the opposition in each game. Even the West Brom cup game was 3 on target for us, and 1 for them. Compared to the increasingly demoralised team Cotts put out, we were transformed and performing strongly. We were on our way.

Pemberton had "turned us around" before Lee had a hand in anything (as far as we know).

What "kept us up" in 2015/16, in my opinion, was a combination of a release of tension and negativity (by dismissing Cotts), abandoning the cavalier/calamitous 3 defenders/wing back thing, and the addition of a bit of quality in Tomlin.

If Lee had any significant influence over those final 16 games that season, in my opinion, it was having the sense to generally leave well alone and recognise that the work and the "turning around" had already been done and happened, and that his chance to stamp his mark on Bristol City would come later that summer, and the following season.

As we were to see, in 2016/17. When we set a club record for consecutive league defeats, and with Pemberton out of the way, and six games left, were one point above the drop and fighting for our lives once again (ie back where we were a year before, when Lee, according to some, arrived to "keep us up.")

In his rush to bring in Lee, in my opinion, SL missed a good pro doing a bloody good job right under his nose. And I think that the stats (above) back this up. In fairness though, four or five games is a small sample and not enough to draw strong conclusions (on Pemberton).

Finally, I do think Cotterill was a bloody idiot that season (whatever the board were, or were not, doing) and that we could so easily have had a pleasant, comfortable midtable season in 15/16, like fellow promoted club Preston enjoyed (they finished 11th). 

18,17,11 and 8 place in the table since LJ took over. Even If we played boring and not attractive football, fact is that we progressed . It all comes to an ending and I think it was the right time. Always backed LJ but his tactics and starting eleven was sometimes not my cup of tea. He worked hard and loved the Club. Wish him well in the future.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe it's my rapidly encroaching dotage - I note I am months older than the ancient Chris Hughton - but this apparent obligation to thank someone for a job mediocrely done strikes me as both a bit wet and very PC.

I have no personal feelings towards LJ but the dreadful, tedious football he's been responsible for at AG for most of the last 2 seasons has left me bloody miserable football-wise to the extent I fear I was on the verge of losing my lifelong passion for BCFC.

That's not a state of affairs I feel moved to want to thank him for, whether that's 'nice' or not.

Sums up how I feel. Good post.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s all been very gushing hasn’t it.

I wish him all the best, but he’s been sacked for under-performing.

Exactly,     You'd think he was leaving us in the top 2  and moving on to take the Barcelona job ⚽

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ain’t that the truth. I feel like I’ve just split from a relationship I’ve been wanting to get out for years. 

Youve worded things perfectly. 

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Another 'Thank you thread'? Really? It was bad enough when GJ went and it was genuinely like someone had died on here

He's gone, on to the next one whoever that maybe. 

Not as bad as when Wilson went, a 24 year old me ranted on here for ages ??

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

18,17,11 and 8 place in the table since LJ took over. Even If we played boring and not attractive football, fact is that we progressed . It all comes to an ending and I think it was the right time. Always backed LJ but his tactics and starting eleven was sometimes not my cup of tea. He worked hard and loved the Club. Wish him well in the future.

Should have been in the playoffs this and the last two seasons.

The fact that every year Lee couldn’t capitalize on a strong start and instead had to try and arrest a slide down the table, was ultimately his undoing.

You're all so hard hearted! ?

Seriously though, for those that have been waiting ages for him to go, it's not hard to undertsand that it would be a relief. And that you wouldn't want to spend too long going on about what a good job he'd done - that's not how you see it. I get it.

And I have to admit that perhaps you were right all along. it took me ages to get to the LJ-OUT camp because of the cup football and because of the sniping about his height(!) and because I don't like football's short-term culture which made me feel it was right to be loyal to him. (And because I seem to be temperamentally loyal to people who manage teams that i support). And so it's only been in the second half of this year that I really understood we weren't going to go further.

So because I haven't wanted him out for ages, I feel a twinge of regret that he's gone - not because it's the wrong decision but because of what could have been (I know, you were right, I was wrong!) So I like the 'thank you' thread! The cup run that year was a massive, massive buzz and there have been other moment - too few and far between, it's true - which I've really enjoyed. So 'thank you' works for me.

And now, ok, next!

I thank him for nothing. He was a poor appointment I never wanted as he had  ( and still has ) not achieved anything as a manager - nothing. I am sure his heart was in it and he worked hard and loved the club but anyone earning what he did would do the same for heavens sake. I am glad to see the back of him and wish it had happened sooner. All this rubbish about season on season improvement - think on - appoint a manager when you are in 20th position and ten years later you are in 9th position with the same manager - you have had season on season improvement but come on -  rubbish comment .

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nogbad, unfortunately he ‘has’ been instrumental in me losing my lifelong passion for City, after 40 years I’ve stopped going over the last two. I just was not enjoying it anymore, the football was just total dross, and Johnson’s arrogance and failure to accept any blame for his own ineptness just compounded how I felt.

I now watch County and Western League football, and immensely enjoy it.

Hopefully a new manager can rekindle my passion and make me feel it’s worthwhile coming back to watch, but it’s going to be tough to get the bug back, when non league football and all that goes with it, is so enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pretty much what’s expected............:dunno:

A slight shock that Jon Lansdown wasn't singled out for praise in addition to Mark Ashton? I appreciate he mentioned the 'wider Lansdown family' but I always thought they appeared to have a really strong relationship so thought he may have singled him out too.

A top read that though from a really good man, you can just tell how much he loves the club. Right time for him to move on of course but a real shame it ultimately didn't work out for him.

12 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Embarrassing post by op

Thanks for the memories?

The boring football, the negative tactics, the unfathomable team selections, subs , formations, the 9 windows and of course the tombola.

Yes thanks Lee hope the door didn't bang your arse on the way out, Oh - and Steve says to let you know the £1.5M payoff cheque should be with you by Friday.

Brilliant exactly .

He's not cut out for management.

Zero man management skills and not a leader.

With the squad we have somebody with those attributes may well have given us that extra 10% to challenge for promotion.

But he's been clever enough to talk 3 clubs into giving him a pop at being a manager, so I take my hat off to him for that.

3 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I'm really quite sad to see the end of the Johnson era. Not only Johnson junior but also Gary. Some of my favourite years supporting the club included the last match of the season against Rotherham or the Palace play off semi

I’m in the opposite camp to you Bas......Im glad that the club Is free of the miasma created by the Johnsons. Time now for a refreshing change and to see some exciting and attacking play at long last,

59 minutes ago, NickJ said:

He's not cut out for management.

Zero man management skills and not a leader.

With the squad we have somebody with those attributes may well have given us that extra 10% to challenge for promotion.

But he's been clever enough to talk 3 clubs into giving him a pop at being a manager, so I take my hat off to him for that.

Very true...sadly in a way...wanted him to succeed...should never had been given the job... be interesting to see how things pan out for him, can't really see him moving upwards from City .

Archived