Jump to content

Bristol City v Hull City Match Day 42


Recommended Posts

Kalas, Baker and Moore should be our back 3 next season. Taylor Moore sees a game really clearly, speaks well, and is passionate for the club to succeed. A brave manager would make him captain.

Weimann looked out of place tonight, while Paterson and Diedhiou had good games. Fam does great defensive work in addition to scoring goals, although I realise he can frustrate when he can control a long ball from 50 yards but can’t trap one from 5!

Pato had a generally good game and a couple of great moments that led to the 2 goals. However we continue to struggle to control midfield.

Still some work to do to really get this set of players maximising their potential but at least some signs of improvement compared to some recent fairly dire performances and results.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I want him replaced! He definitely bothers me.

It's a strange one, because one minute he seems like a great solid keeper and a bargain at what we bought him for (considering age and potential).

The next minute he seems like he's an average keeper, devoid of confidence and flapping about. A bit like he's been watching David James...

We were warned before we signed him, but could it also be a coincidence that he looked better when we were playing more of a regular 11 at the beginning of the season, and were more confident as a team?

 I think he's a huge confidence player, and that when he's got players ahead of him who are being changed about, and don't look confident, he looks ropey himself.

He's actually been very lucky that Nikki was injured the other week, because he was rightly dropped. 

The annoying thing is, he has saved us quite a few points this season. However there are a few he has cost us as well...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Taylor Moore is a talent and certainly deserves a chance in the team when we can select him again. However, I am a little concerned by the attitude of 'get rid of the established players and throw in a load of kids' from some posters. That will only take you one way - League One. It is vitally important to have some experience and know how at Championship level.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

I agree that Taylor Moore is a talent and certainly deserves a chance in the team when we can select him again. However, I am a little concerned by the attitude of 'get rid of the established players and throw in a load of kids' from some posters. That will only take you one way - League One. It is vitally important to have some experience and know how at Championship level.

It’s about integrating them, playing them when you need them, but not over-relying on them.  Morrell and Walsh should have had that this season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It’s about integrating them, playing them when you need them, but not over-relying on them.  Morrell and Walsh should have had that this season.

And that’s exactly why these guys go out on loan. 

Vyner spent a season as regular starter at Rotherham and then at Aberdeen until he got injured. He’s now in the first team squad. Moore was on loan at Southend and I forget where else. He seemed to constantly on the move! Walsh on loan at Coventry, Morrell at Lincoln all gaining valuable experience to competitive league football.

They're all back in the fold at Failand and with LJ gone hopefully the new man eyes will see past the limitations that LJ must have seen............:dunno:

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

... I am a little concerned by the attitude of 'get rid of the established players and throw in a load of kids' from some posters. That will only take you one way...

So you're saying "you don't win anything with kids" 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And that’s exactly why these guys go out on loan.

I know that, but under the current loan restrictions, we lose the opportunity to use them ourselves, creating a big / huge gap between the true first team squad and u23s.  Further exacerbated when you then sign players blocking their pathway when they come back.

In some players cases I think we give them one loan too many, plus we pass responsibly for their development to someone else.

The loan system doesn’t help, but I do think we’ve not given quite a few players the chance here.

Vyner spent a season as regular starter at Rotherham

proving he could play at this level, albeit for a lower side.  Aberdeen was a backwards loan (I don’t care what our Scottish posters think) for him.  Appreciate that might’ve been our best loan offer.

and then at Aberdeen until he got injured.

Aberdeen refused to continue the loan.

He’s now in the first team squad.

by default, because of covid extending the season and then needing a club developed player in the squad.  Great for him, but most definitely not the “master-plan”.

Moore was on loan at Southend and I forget where else (Cheltenham first, then Bury, then Southend, plus Blackpool). He seemed to constantly on the move! Walsh on loan at Coventry, Morrell at Lincoln all gaining valuable experience to competitive league football.

They're all back in the fold at Failand and with LJ gone hopefully the new man eyes will see past the limitations that LJ must have seen............:dunno:
 

yes, but the point I’m making is that we should’ve used them more ahead of next season....some of that is the stupid loan system, the other was the head-coach and recruitment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Robbored said:

And that’s exactly why these guys go out on loan. 

Vyner spent a season as regular starter at Rotherham and then at Aberdeen until he got injured. He’s now in the first team squad. Moore was on loan at Southend and I forget where else. He seemed to constantly on the move! Walsh on loan at Coventry, Morrell at Lincoln all gaining valuable experience to competitive league football.

They're all back in the fold at Failand and with LJ gone hopefully the new man eyes will see past the limitations that LJ must have seen............:dunno:

Has to be said that Moore has played 120+ league games - how many does it take to decide if he's good enough ? One loan getting 30+ games should be enough to see the potential or lack of it I would think (although some take a bit more time - but not 120 games). I think he's been very unlucky here with the players bought in ahead of him but he has a chance this season under a new coach/manager as LJ didn't seem to trust him. Could become a cracking player at this level, just a tad slower than I'd like.

Walsh and Morrell got their 30+ games and proved their potential, they don't need another loan (Morrell has had a few and is one of those that needed a bit more time) and should be in the first team squad next season and get regular games hopefully - or go on to another Championship club as they are both more than capable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Has to be said that Moore has played 120+ league games - how many does it take to decide if he's good enough ? One loan getting 30+ games should be enough to see the potential or lack of it I would think (although some take a bit more time - but not 120 games). I think he's been very unlucky here with the players bought in ahead of him but he has a chance this season under a new coach/manager as LJ didn't seem to trust him. Could become a cracking player at this level, just a tad slower than I'd like.

Walsh and Morrell got their 30+ games and proved their potential, they don't need another loan (Morrell has had a few and is one of those that needed a bit more time) and should be in the first team squad next season and get regular games hopefully - or go on to another Championship club as they are both more than capable.

I’m not sure who makes the decision about players going out on loan but I assume that until recently it was down to the coaching team with LJ making the final call.

In the past I’ve certainly questioned LJs ability to asses what a player  needs in terms of development and I wonder if it was really necessary for Moore to have so many loans and also Vyner who ended up in the Mickey Mouse league until he injured his shoulder and Aberdeen sent him back.

That said at City there are no competitive league games available outside of the first team so in that regard loans are essential for these guys to go on loan to get ‘miles on the clock’ as Brian Tinnion puts it but so many in Moore’s case?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not sure who makes the decision about players going out on loan but I assume that until recently it was down to the coaching team with LJ making the final call.

In the past I’ve certainly questioned LJs ability to asses what a player  needs in terms of development and I wonder if it was really necessary for Moore to have so many loans and also Vyner who ended up in the Mickey Mouse league until he injured his shoulder and Aberdeen sent him back.

That said at City there are no competitive league games available outside of the first team so in that regard loans are essential for these guys to go on loan to get ‘miles on the clock’ as Brian Tinnion puts it but so many in Moore’s case?

 

LJ would make the decision with Tinnion finding the loan club as I understand it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s about integrating them, playing them when you need them, but not over-relying on them.  Morrell and Walsh should have had that this season.

which is exactly why I was wanting another manager he seemed to have his favourite players (you all know who) and blocked the progress of players like Taylor Moore and Walsh, hopefully our new manager will be able to see that we have some talented young players that were in my opinion not given a fair chance.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

That second goal is a thing of beauty, funnily enough been reading Pirlo's book and he talks about hitting just that sort of free kick. Joyous.

On the basis that we seem to create few chances in open play, we certainly need to be scoring regularly from free kicks in those positions.  Maybe Patto has been getting a bit of practice in on the training ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...