IGNORED

Thank You From Lee Johnson

BUTOR

10 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Poch did initially at Southampton as I recall too.

I couldn't see him get a job in the Bundesliga which I presume the reference to Leipzig alluded to though. Maybe a more minor competition where English is widely spoken like Scandinavia perhaps.

Maybe he is already going by the name Leo Johansen?

23 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I'm talking about players and managers in general who say this and kiss the badge etc.

But since this thread is about Johnson, apart from doing his job, and cheap talk, name one action which demonstrates his "love for the club".

His word will do for me, I can’t think of a reason to assume he’s lying. I don’t know him particularly well or personally to come up with specific examples either way, do you?

52 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

His word will do for me, I can’t think of a reason to assume he’s lying. I don’t know him particularly well or personally to come up with specific examples either way, do you?

He's not lying. Of course he loved the club. It paid him ten or twenty grand a week, almost certainly more than he will ever earn again.

Prior to that so far as I know he'd never been to Ashton Gate and probably never will again unless in a working capacity.

You have to admit that's not the same sort of affection which most lifelong supporters of a team have.

13 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Never stood a real chance of getting some fans on side, which is a shame. Dedicated 10 years of his life to our club (albeit while being handsomely paid of course) but still, reading this and knowing that to some he never stood a chance is a shame. Even when the good times we’re rolling I never felt we were all together as we were with GJ or SC because some people couldn’t get over some bitterness about I don’t know, nepotism? No idea

anyway, feels sad. Right for the football club at this juncture but sad all the time. I do wonder what he could have achieved if he had been cut more slack early on (by fans, not the board)

Absolutely. There are some who never really wanted him to succeed so they could feel vindicated. There was also the bizarre opinion of people 'not liking/rating him as a player' which contributed to them not liking/rating him as a manager.

He obviously had his faults, but the club is undeniably in a stronger position than when he arrived. I'm sure he learned a great deal whilst here and it'll make him a better manager overall.

37 minutes ago, NickJ said:

He's not lying. Of course he loved the club. It paid him ten or twenty grand a week, almost certainly more than he will ever earn again.

Prior to that so far as I know he'd never been to Ashton Gate and probably never will again unless in a working capacity.

You have to admit that's not the same sort of affection which most lifelong supporters of a team have.

Some people continue to refer to him as a "fan".

What 20 something, particularly one who plays professional football changes his life long allegiance to a club (Fulham I believe) ?

I'm sure he loved his association with BCFC it rewarded him very well and gave him the exposure to potentially move onto greater things if he is as great a coach as many say.

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Absolutely. There are some who never really wanted him to succeed so they could feel vindicated. There was also the bizarre opinion of people 'not liking/rating him as a player' which contributed to them not liking/rating him as a manager.

He obviously had his faults, but the club is undeniably in a stronger position than when he arrived. I'm sure he learned a great deal whilst here and it'll make him a better manager overall.

Thanks, you summed up what I was trying to say a little better. Completely agree

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

No, I agree. It feels like the fact he has been paid is a stick to beat him with, though? That seems odd and unfair.

Scott Murray didn’t visit AG as a boy either, and got paid for his entire time at the club. I can’t imagine us ever talking about him in the same way though. I might be wrong but it seems like the problem with Lee Johnson in this instance is that he is Lee Johnson.

23 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

No, I agree. It feels like the fact he has been paid is a stick to beat him with, though? That seems odd and unfair.

Scott Murray didn’t visit AG as a boy either, and got paid for his entire time at the club. I can’t imagine us ever talking about him in the same way though. I might be wrong but it seems like the problem with Lee Johnson in this instance is that he is Lee Johnson.

And the problem with Lee Johnson at Bristol City was always that as a player some suspected he was in the team because his Dad was the manager, and as a manager some suspected that he only got job because he was his Dad's son. However unfair that might have been I can't imagine that either Lee or his Dad were unaware that it would be said. It won't be said at his next job - unless it's at Yeovil!

20 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

And the problem with Lee Johnson at Bristol City was always that as a player some suspected he was in the team because his Dad was the manager, and as a manager some suspected that he only got job because he was his Dad's son. However unfair that might have been I can't imagine that either Lee or his Dad were unaware that it would be said. It won't be said at his next job - unless it's at Yeovil!

I dont think that it's unfair. I suspect both of those things. And I would be very surprised if they were somehow proved incorrect.

I have no doubt LJ loved / loves the club and would have loved nothing better than delivering promotion for it. Yes he was very well rewarded as head coach  but then most coaches are well paid. As for loving Bristol City and supporting another club look no further than the late Norman Hunter who loved the club but would forever be a Leeds fan.

Lee Johnson was always like marmite to our fans, but even those who had a strong dislike of him for whatever reason can't argue the fact he has consolidated our position in the Championship over the last 4+ years and gave us that fantastic cup run.

But everything comes to an end and Lee had taken taken us as far as he could. SL had backed him through that god awful run of defeats,and I hope ,any new man gets the same level of support. I have admired him as a coach and as a person so this statement doesn't come as a real surprise. We all now move on, the club targeting promotion and Lee looking for a new project. Thank you Lee for some great memories and I wish you luck in the future.

11 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I dont think that it's unfair. I suspect both of those things. And I would be very surprised if they were somehow proved incorrect.

I'd say that it was perfectly possible to argue that Lee Johnson was a great fit for his Dad's sides as a player, perhaps less easy to argue that he was a perfect fit for City when Cotts left...

...what's unarguable is that he played the vast majority (something like 90%?) of his 400 matches in sides his Dad managed, and thus far the majority of his managerial career has been at a club he played for, and where his Dad left a strong impression.

25 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd say that it was perfectly possible to argue that Lee Johnson was a great fit for his Dad's sides as a player, perhaps less easy to argue that he was a perfect fit for City when Cotts left...

...what's unarguable is that he played the vast majority (something like 90%?) of his 400 matches in sides his Dad managed, and thus far the majority of his managerial career has been at a club he played for, and where his Dad left a strong impression.

Lee Johnson was in the team ‘ his dad was manager - nepotism. LJ himself knew that and largely why he wanted to go on loan and prove to himself that he good enough to get into other teams.

SL has done exactly the same with his son who is now chairman. Would Jon Lansdown job a chairmans position  at any other football club? 

No doubt that SL likes both GJ and LJ as people and that had to be a massive factor in LJ getting the job. It seems that getting along with your football clubs senior employees is important to SL.

8 hours ago, RonWalker said:

Scotty unlike Lee popular. Why? Was a decent player, wasn’t employed by his dad, wasn’t employed by his best mates dad, bit of a lad, mixes in with the South Bristol lads, his job will be paid a fraction of the Head Coach but relates to the fans 10 times better than the Head Coach. 

For those reasons I could easily accept Scotty has come to have more of an affinity than most ex players 

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Scotty unlike Lee popular. Why? Was a decent player, wasn’t employed by his dad, wasn’t employed by his best mates dad, bit of a lad, mixes in with the South Bristol lads, his job will be paid a fraction of the Head Coach but relates to the fans 10 times better than the Head Coach. 

For those reasons I could easily accept Scotty has come to have more of an affinity than most ex players 

Surprised Scotty mentioned in the same context to be honest. Didn't blame him at all for trying to better himself at Reading either on his own merits 

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Scott Murray is definitely more popular, no question. Does that make the difference?

The issue was whether LJ should be allowed to say he loves the club, Nick, without being mocked for it.

From the above, it would seem you can do, so long as your face fits? I’m not sure where being “one of the lads” comes into it, or any of the other points you’ve raised.

Realistically this is all a moot point about an ex-employee, it just seems a little harsh given whether you liked him or not, whether he got paid or not, that after LJ worked for this club for around a decade he can’t express his affection for it without money being the first response.

Archived