Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Never stood a real chance of getting some fans on side, which is a shame. Dedicated 10 years of his life to our club (albeit while being handsomely paid of course) but still, reading this and knowing that to some he never stood a chance is a shame. Even when the good times we’re rolling I never felt we were all together as we were with GJ or SC because some people couldn’t get over some bitterness about I don’t know, nepotism? No idea

anyway, feels sad. Right for the football club at this juncture but sad all the time. I do wonder what he could have achieved if he had been cut more slack early on (by fans, not the board)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone confirm that the opening post is genuine? Or is it a hoax like the Mark Ashton statement on another thread.

If it is genuine, he has clearly worked hard for this club.

But every season, we've had to suffer about 33 to 50% of the season on a never ending losing run. The most recent was 2 points from 27 available. That is 20% of the season. I wish him well for the future and suggest he sticks with property management. He is good at that and leave professional football alone.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Can anyone confirm that the opening post is genuine? Or is it a hoax like the Mark Ashton statement on another thread.

If it is genuine, he has clearly worked hard for this club.

But every season, we've had to suffer about 33 to 50% of the season on a never ending losing run. The most recent was 2 points from 27 available. That is 20% of the season. I wish him well for the future and suggest he sticks with property management. He is good at that and leave professional football alone.

Posted on twitter by Gregor so hope he verified. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Never stood a real chance of getting some fans on side, which is a shame. Dedicated 10 years of his life to our club (albeit while being handsomely paid of course) but still, reading this and knowing that to some he never stood a chance is a shame. Even when the good times we’re rolling I never felt we were all together as we were with GJ or SC because some people couldn’t get over some bitterness about I don’t know, nepotism? No idea

anyway, feels sad. Right for the football club at this juncture but sad all the time. I do wonder what he could have achieved if he had been cut more slack early on (by fans, not the board)

How could the fans have changed what he did by "cutting more slack?"

Football managers with inflated egos are not aware of the fans opinions. We are dismissed as the rabble who don't understand what professional football is all about. We are just punters who pay the entrance money and know **** all about the game!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a weird feeling he will end up being successful at a club outside of England in his next job. As long as he learns from his mistakes in this period of reflection there’s no reason why he can’t go on and be successful. The Johnson hating is far louder online than it is at Ashton gate. When Lee returns I expect him to get a decent, if not slightly mixed reception.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who is surprised to suddenly discover that Lee Johnson loved this club, loved the fans and gave his all whatever the results has been in mental lock down for several years.

And the thickies who constantly said that Steve Lansdown had given him a job for life,etc are perhaps keeping quiet now. 

 

Well done Lee- dignified to the last. The Johnson family have contributed hugely to our club.

Now... "We go again".

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What we had was a man who loved the club. Can’t say fairer than that. Unfortunately we could end up with someone who doesn’t give a sh1t. Let’s hope it is someone who builds the love, builds a dynasty and who will say he wants .... eventually... to have a team of Bristolians. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

How could the fans have changed what he did by "cutting more slack?"

Football managers with inflated egos are not aware of the fans opinions. We are dismissed as the rabble who don't understand what professional football is all about. We are just punters who pay the entrance money and know **** all about the game!

It’s a classic football chicken and the egg conundrum, who motivates who who first, the crowd motivate the players or the players motivate the crowd.

all I am saying is that toxicity was never far away from fans relationship with Johnson. Even when it was good some people were not fully on board and club and fans did not feel cohesive in the way ive seen before when we have had success. I don’t think In the early days this was due to ‘johnsonisms’ or the way we were playing. This crept in later as he clearly began to get muddled and doubt himself.

by far and away not the only factor, at all. Just expressing what I feel looking back over his tenure

 

 

Edited by Fjmcity
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Lee, came in and took us from fighting relegation to fighting our way up the top half of the table.

 

Given where we were then and where we are now, as well as some of the events along the way it's been good value for money. 

 

Thanks and now both parties move on, hopefully to bigger and better things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I’ve got a weird feeling he will end up being successful at a club outside of England in his next job. As long as he learns from his mistakes in this period of reflection there’s no reason why he can’t go on and be successful. The Johnson hating is far louder online than it is at Ashton gate. When Lee returns I expect him to get a decent, if not slightly mixed reception.

Why would a club outside England show interest? OK if he is multi lingual but not sure he is. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

What we had was a man who loved the club. Can’t say fairer than that. Unfortunately we could end up with someone who doesn’t give a sh1t. Let’s hope it is someone who builds the love, builds a dynasty and who will say he wants .... eventually... to have a team of Bristolians. 

I always laugh when I read that anyone who has only ever been seen at Ashton Gate while earning ten or twenty grand a week “loved the club”.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NickJ said:

I always laugh when I read that anyone who has only ever been seen at Ashton Gate while earning ten or twenty grand a week “loved the club”.
 

Yep. 

Absolute bollocks like players kissing the badge 

Fulham fan that's OK but people seriously say he's a fan of ours ffs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Yep stand corrected. 

Probably good contacts in that league 

Has spent some time in the past at RB Leipzig through his friendship with the head of recruitment there and strikes me as someone who would be up for the challenge with his dad managing outside of England in the past. Of course I may be way off, just a funny feeling 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I like to think someone proof read it and removed all the Johnsonisms. There is no way the LJ we know could’ve possibly written that lengthy a statement without “blue sky thinking” and “let’s sharpen the point of this pencil”. 

Sad day. RIP Johnsonisms. 

Ouch Fordy, 10 aubergines for this! I found it amusing...tough crowd.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Has spent some time in the past at RB Leipzig through his friendship with the head of recruitment there and strikes me as someone who would be up for the challenge with his dad managing outside of England in the past. Of course I may be way off, just a funny feeling 

OK but my question was more about his linguistic skills. 

BTW I think his contacts are as real as Pep seeking his insight and his experience as a premier league player at Watford. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Can anyone confirm that the opening post is genuine? Or is it a hoax like the Mark Ashton statement on another thread.

If it is genuine, he has clearly worked hard for this club.

But every season, we've had to suffer about 33 to 50% of the season on a never ending losing run. The most recent was 2 points from 27 available. That is 20% of the season. I wish him well for the future and suggest he sticks with property management. He is good at that and leave professional football alone.

Here’s an idea - rather than snide comments in response to a very respectful statement, how about you actually try basing your opinions on some objective facts? If you’re going to mention the losing runs, how about you mention the winning runs?

Under LJ we improved our league position every season, until now. His win percentage as manager is up there with any in our history - and without the benefit of any games in the easier third tier.

And before you cry “he was better backed than any previous manager!” - that’s football in 2020. Championship strikers weren’t selling for £12m when his dad was in charge. Our budget relative to our rivals is the true barometer and his achievements were at least par on that basis.

It was the right time for Johnson to go. He had limitations as a manager and we’ve been poor at home for too long. But he has shown himself to be a competent manager able to improve teams. And he doesn’t need to “stick with property management”.

https://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/bristol-city/

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

OK but my question was more about his linguistic skills. 

BTW I think his contacts are as real as Pep seeking his insight and his experience as a premier league player at Watford. 

It’s a globalised world, doesn’t take long to learn with all the hours of private tuition and immersion they can get. 

And let’s not forget Bielsa still has an interpreter for his interviews! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I always laugh when I read that anyone who has only ever been seen at Ashton Gate while earning ten or twenty grand a week “loved the club”.
 

It’s always interesting to think that people who presumably have some experience of doing paid work, could not envisage having an admiration or bond with their employer because there is a financial incentive involved.

Does it have to be charity work before you’re allowed to love the club you work for?

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Anyone who is surprised to suddenly discover that Lee Johnson loved this club, loved the fans and gave his all whatever the results has been in mental lock down for several years.

And the thickies who constantly said that Steve Lansdown had given him a job for life,etc are perhaps keeping quiet now. 

 

Well done Lee- dignified to the last. The Johnson family have contributed hugely to our club.

Now... "We go again".

No chance. They've moved on to saying that his replacement will definitely be the cheap option from within the club or the lower leagues. And they'll be the first ones wanting the new man out, whoever it is.

One thing they will never, ever do is stay quiet. There will always be something.

Edited by Northern Red
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

 

Not the thread to look at strengths and weaknesses. I wish him well (except v us)!

 

Strengths: farewell statements.

Weaknesses...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, One Team said:

Well done LJ, an excellent letter and the positive and right way to say goodbye. 

This should ensure a positive welcome when he returns. 

He could manage Cardiff next, as he already knows most the squad

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent statement from him (club). Clearly loved the role but his tenure run it course. Perhaps he thought too much about it, many great managers have said football is a simple  game. It never was in LJ case. 
I suspect he might forge a career in punditry, I cannot see him managing at Championship level.  I believe it was Warnock who said LJ had the ‘dream ticket’ at City. Shame he never made it.  Remember at the start when he said he needed 3 transfer windows !  Was it 15 he had ?

best of luck in future LJ. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Anyone who is surprised to suddenly discover that Lee Johnson loved this club, loved the fans and gave his all whatever the results has been in mental lock down for several years.

And the thickies who constantly said that Steve Lansdown had given him a job for life,etc are perhaps keeping quiet now. 

 

Well done Lee- dignified to the last. The Johnson family have contributed hugely to our club.

Now... "We go again".

Is there any need to be so abusive? Plenty of folk on here have carefully and respectfully articulated their reasons why LJ wasn't the man for the job going back many months, even years, only to be dismissed as 'haters'. We were proved right. I feel for his devotees if they can't face up to that.

I don't doubt that Lee enjoyed the job, and worked hard at it. He wasn't up to it. I hope he reflects on that, learns and finds a new job quickly. 

His Dad, by contrast, was a winner, wholly qualified to do the job required of him, one of the finest managers we've had, and for that reason I imagine that the Johnson family will always be respected at the Gate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RonWalker said:

It’s always interesting to think that people who presumably have some experience of doing paid work, could not envisage having an admiration or bond with their employer because there is a financial incentive involved.

Does it have to be charity work before you’re allowed to love the club you work for?

I'm talking about players and managers in general who say this and kiss the badge etc.

But since this thread is about Johnson, apart from doing his job, and cheap talk, name one action which demonstrates his "love for the club".

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

It’s a globalised world, doesn’t take long to learn with all the hours of private tuition and immersion they can get. 

And let’s not forget Bielsa still has an interpreter for his interviews! 

Poch did initially at Southampton as I recall too.

I couldn't see him get a job in the Bundesliga which I presume the reference to Leipzig alluded to though. Maybe a more minor competition where English is widely spoken like Scandinavia perhaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

No chance. They've moved on to saying that his replacement will definitely be the cheap option from within the club or the lower leagues. And they'll be the first ones wanting the new man out, whoever it is.

One thing they will never, ever do is stay quiet. There will always be something.

Do try to keep up, that's what forums are for.

Tell your mate Marina btw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...