IGNORED

Weimann

Lez

2 hours ago, Lez said:

I might be slightly premature here but I do feel we should move him on in the summer. 

Whether it's up front out wide or in the cam position like today I dont feel he impacts games enough.

Yes he works hard but we want promotion and I dont think he is good enough.

Not basing this on today would be wrong to after half an hour ....but watching it he does stand out in a not bad but ineffective way.

100%. And I dread to think what we're probably paying him. 

2 hours ago, Lez said:

I might be slightly premature here but I do feel we should move him on in the summer. 

Whether it's up front out wide or in the cam position like today I dont feel he impacts games enough.

Yes he works hard but we want promotion and I dont think he is good enough.

Not basing this on today would be wrong to after half an hour ....but watching it he does stand out in a not bad but ineffective way.

Was thinking the same tonight. Can't fault his effort but rarely scores or gets assists for an attacking player....

I rate Weimann....as a centre forward.

I think he’s been ineffective in most other positions he’s played.  Don’t forget he came here to play centrally.  LJ reneged on that, but found a place predominantly on the right.

Tonight, he was asked to play another role.  I’m guessing that Holden wanted his energy to supplement Pato and also Korey.  It didn’t work.

In the first half, he made 2 brilliant runs that Pato dawdled on and the opportunity was lost.

But since his return he’s another who’s looked well off the level.

He’s become less and less effective over time. Odd, given our world class coaching.

I think he would be far more effective as one of two centralised forwards complementing Wells, Fammy or Benik. Indeed, I think he’s the only one we have who could play that role. 

Didn't he say that’s his preferred position in an early interview with us?

Frankly, he’s a waste of a shirt being a ‘busy bee’ out wide. Just runs around a lot, seemingly, hiding from the ball. We have quite a few other players who are equally at home in that role.

When he first came to us, the Derby fans were saying he looked better in the middle but was often played out wide. I think he himself said he was hoping to play more games up front and to begin with he was played there and did score a few. 

According to it he's made 37 league appearances this season which seems way more than I can remember, and scored 9 goals, only lone less league goal than he scored last season. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

When he first came to us, the Derby fans were saying he looked better in the middle but was often played out wide. I think he himself said he was hoping to play more games up front and to begin with he was played there and did score a few. 

According to it he's made 37 league appearances this season which seems way more than I can remember, and scored 9 goals, only lone less league goal than he scored last season. 

I think that we should keep him, but only as a CF option.

You only have to look at the hat-trick that he scored away (last season?) to see that he CAN be a goal threat when played through the middle.

The very few times that Famara and Weimann were played as a front two, I always thought that they looked a dangerous partnership and linked up well. Sadly we then had to endure Famara isolated up top with Weimann isolated on the wing.

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

I think that we should keep him, but only as a CF option.

You only have to look at the hat-trick that he scored away (last season?) to see that he CAN be a goal threat when played through the middle.

The very few times that Famara and Weimann were played as a front two, I always thought that they looked a dangerous partnership and linked up well. Sadly we then had to endure Famara isolated up top with Weimann isolated on the wing.

I’d be inclined to keep him as a squad player too. As you have said when played as a traditional CF he can be a threat. 

59 minutes ago, bris red said:

I’d be inclined to keep him as a squad player too. As you have said when played as a traditional CF he can be a threat. 

Expensive for just a squad player - blocking the pathway for youngster to progress.

Other than Semenyo we don't appear to have any youngsters coming through who are natural goalscorers?

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Expensive for just a squad player - blocking the pathway for youngster to progress.

Other than Semenyo we don't appear to have any youngsters coming through who are natural goalscorers?

Possibly, but can you realistically see any club spending the money to buy him? 

Maybe a loan out is likely if the new manger doesn’t want him but I believe he’ll be here in the squad next season as it’s his last year of a contract.

Coming off the bench he could be very effective with his running & energy in 2nd half especially through the middle.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's played a fair amount of games alongside Fam and I don't think it's really worked except the odd game.

True.

There always seems such as massive amount of space between them though and very little interplay.

Odd, reflecting on things last night, perhaps the only player capable of a central ‘foil’ role to the likes of Fam under the LJ regime was Matty Taylor. At least in my view, he was (one of several) never given the chance of a decent run of games to prove himself (unlike Weimann, CoD and Pato).

LJ seemed aware of the need for partnerships but, oddly, never seemed to actually forge any between players with the exception of Webster/Kalas and possibly Reid/Pato. Never seen any full backs to wide men, between central forwards or between attacking midfielder and forwards ...it’s all been a bit ‘clunky’.

16 hours ago, Sturny said:

I don't think he's a MUST move on. He's been... okay. Some people defend him till the grave on here. There's plenty more players we should be looking to shift along. 

I would be surprised if City could get Andi out the door easily anyway. He is surely one of the highest earners and might be difficult to move on as I would be surprised if despite all his endeavour, he has caught the eye of  other clubs willing to shell out a pretty tidy sum over the course of a contract at these uncertain times.

This all comes back to the same fundamental central point;

For us to move any of these apparently “unwanted” players on who are in the last year of their contract next season we need to find a buyer.

Weimann is undoubtedly a top six earner at the club & to give some balance has featured in virtually every game this season (bar the one after his positive Covid test) so certainly has a decent availability record.

However he still hasn’t scored a goal in 2020 and isn’t a huge source of assists, either.

He is therefore probably someone a new head coach would like to move on (though if Fam leaves & Benik doesn’t join that only leaves us with 1 senior striker) but that certainly won’t prove easy.

Archived