IGNORED

Kory Smith passing?

brady bunch

He wasn’t great tonight but boy did that formation ask a lot of him.

In a 3 man midfield with Paterson (excellent tonight but not ever going to be great defensively) & Weimann, who didn’t appear to have a clue where he was meant to be playing.

I honestly believe we have one of the weakest midfield selections in The Championship & so would concentrate on 2 new signings there this summer.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So next season do we go with Walsh and Morrell?

I have not been that impressed with Nagy to be honest.

Massengo might well end up our best player but not yet.

Do we bring in 2 slightly bigger midfielders to compliment Walsh and Morrell and play 2 or 3 of them?

I am excited by those 2 because of their aggression and confidence in possession. 

Both very good passers of the ball, especially Walsh, who can also run and beat players from midfield.

It’s a huge risk to go into the season expecting both of them to perform well in this league. 

We’ve seen they’re both too good for League One, but have no idea how they’ll cope next year, the expectation we’re placing on them is massive already. 

I hope they both do bits, but I’d worry that if they don’t, we could struggle. 

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would say Nagy, Walsh, Morrell and a new midfielder would give us solid options next season. 

Massengo can go out on loan, certainly helped Morrell and Walsh and he is still very young so makes sense. 

Sorry mate but I don't like any of these suggestions 

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

I would say a quartet of Morrell, Walsh, Nagy and Massengo give us good options for a 2 or 3 man midfield. 

If we want some height in the mix too either get Bakinson in the squad or a loan perhaps. 

I think we will definitely need to sign at least another 2. 

That midfield will be too lightweight & too inexperienced to challenge for promotion.

2 hours ago, brady bunch said:

My son just asked if he is playing for Hull, he’s passed to them so often. One of my favorite city players, still giving his all, but his passing is now appalling.

Also gives away silly free kicks in good attacking areas for the opposition.

A pillar for us until his last two injuries but as a result of them, we need to replace him.

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Why is that?

Massengos fee was significant so sending him on loan makes the deal look like terrible business. If he's not up to it sell him and reinvest.

Nagy I suspect will leave or will ask to, even if he stays still question marks over his fitness and ability.

Walsh and Morrell deserve a chance to compete for a first team place but huge risk in asking them to anchor a championship midfield. 

2x quality midfield signings need to be the absolute priority. What we have in the building is nowhere near good enough I.m.o 

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Massengos fee was significant so sending him on loan makes the deal look like terrible business. If he's not up to it sell him and reinvest.

Nagy I suspect will leave or will ask to, even if he stays still question marks over his fitness and ability.

Walsh and Morrell deserve a chance to compete for a first team place but huge risk in asking them to anchor a championship midfield. 

2x quality midfield signings need to be the absolute priority. What we have in the building is nowhere near good enough I.m.o 

Massengo’s fee was £3mill apparently. Not that significant when we are buying first teamers nowadays for £8.5 million. His price tag should not affect us doing what is best for his development. He will easily make us many times his initial fee if we develop him properly, but keeping him around when he’s not ready will do more harm than good for his development. He is not looking like a player for a promotion squad - put it that way.

Nagy has looked a lot better since the restart, can see him being better second season. 

I was advocating for a quality first team midfielder to be a starter, with Nagy, Morrell and Walsh all as options to play with him. 

If we go three in the midfield we need another two certainly. The problem is that if Nagy won’t go, who would you get rid of?

Need to get rid of Smith this summer. Taking up a wage and not good enough anymore for the side we want to be. Thanks for the memories and a great servant.

Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell.....nowhere near good enough for the championship playoffs.

2 quality CMs needed.....massemgo nagy and Walsh to supplement.....Morrell stick on loan to a championship club, while clearly improved we are looking for the big time.

Hunt, Baker, Williams, Vyner goodbye... mark my words Vyner will never ever be good enough for this level.

Will be interested to see these 2 play together next season.....obviously in a 2 it womt work byt far too lightweight.

Nagy likes to provide an option in space, simple passes forward quickly.....Walsh likes to provide an option in space, simple passes with the potential to hit long and accurate.....both like to make runs forward e.g nagy Fulham etc.

I think these 2 could work very well next season with each other, and could initiate tika taka under the right management.....and certainly enable us to play intricate football.

Would need an enforcer behind them and in a 3.....or 4 in a diamond.....either way, something to keep an eye on next season assuming both are here.

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

Forest.

Nagy proved to my more effective at playing the ball out, much more effective.

Korey is simply way too slow picking his head up, doesn't have a great first touch.

He may wriggle out of situations but most of the time they're of his own making. Seems to have lost a yard of pace due to injuries.

Great Service to the club for 6 years, but he's not up to this level anymore.

• 4 games in 10 days from Korey
  • played in a role (5122) that exposed him tonight

A game too far, was looking leggy v Cardiff late on....tonight it caught up with him.

I’m not saying he’s a star, but I think there are reasons why tonight he wasn’t at the level.  He did ok tonight, but his sharpness had gone in his touch and his closing down.

If others were playing better, he might have got a rest.  He needs one.

Whether he gets a new contract is gonna be a really tough call.  A new manager won’t have any sentiment.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Need to get rid of Smith this summer. Taking up a wage and not good enough anymore for the side we want to be. Thanks for the memories and a great servant.

Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell.....nowhere near good enough for the championship playoffs.

2 quality CMs needed.....massemgo nagy and Walsh to supplement.....Morrell stick on loan to a championship club, while clearly improved we are looking for the big time.

Hunt, Baker, Williams, Vyner goodbye... mark my words Vyner will never ever be good enough for this level.

Tend to agree with you. 

Morrell needs a higher level for another season and unless we build a midfield around Walsh his style doesn't fit or work at this level. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nagy leave, he's had one heck of a tough season on and off the pitch and Massengo looks to have burnt out. 

We're essentially in preseason now for next season and can't see the required improvement in many of the squad. 

Sadly for Korey he's seemingly never recovered from his injuries 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
  • 4 games in 10 days from Korey
  • played in a role (5122) that exposed him tonight

A game too far, was looking leggy v Cardiff late on....tonight it caught up with him.

I’m not saying he’s a star, but I think there are reasons why tonight he wasn’t at the level.  He did ok tonight, but his sharpness had gone in his touch and his closing down.

If others were playing better, he might have got a rest.  He needs one.

Whether he gets a new contract is gonna be a really tough call.  A new manager won’t have any sentiment.

Is Smith out of contract at the end of the season? 

That's two weeks tonight 

41 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Also gives away silly free kicks in good attacking areas for the opposition.

A pillar for us until his last two injuries but as a result of them, we need to replace him.

I think that's also because he has no defensive partner in midfield.  He used to have that with Pack or even Brownhill.  THe 2 with him tonight aren't defensive at all and HNM is a bit of a loose screw at the moment.  As I said earlier, if we'd kept Pack we'd be in a far better situation.  Bollocks to the fee we got.

Yesterdays man i'm afraid. 

Loved him for his commitment and work for the cause but the job he dose for the side needs real energy, and i think Massengo,Morrell are the way forward now.

Let's be fair he's never had the greatest touch or vision,worked his ass off for the team but if were to progress under a new manager i would be surprised if Korey was part of the plan.

By the way would love him to prove me wrong.

It boils my piss when we talk about our midfield. We get overrun constantly and it’s not down to individuals. It’s because we don’t have enough bodies - lots of teams have 3 in the middle and we only have 2. Jesus - sometimes we have had only one classic central MF. Play 433 ffs or 4321 

If Korey had 2 others around him he wouldn’t look as exposed as he has done. 

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is Smith out of contract at the end of the season? 

That's two weeks tonight 

Yes he is.  Got a short term extension but that’s it.

His littl’un is about to start school and he doesn’t know where he’ll be.  A downside to being a pro....not that it should have any bearing on contract discussions.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes he is.  Got a short term extension but that’s it.

His littl’un is about to start school and he doesn’t know where he’ll be.  A downside to being a pro....not that it should have any bearing on contract discussions.

Maybe we’ll see him at Oxford if they get promoted. 

17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

In reality if Smith was still fancied by the club he would have signed a contract by now. 

What is likely is that LJ and MA agreed that he is past it for us, and just because LJ has gone will not have changed MA’s perspective. 

In fairness, they haven’t sat down for contract talks with any players, other than to agree short term extensions or exercise one year options.

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

You’d think that would only apply to those who aren’t OOC this season but next.

No, both LJ and MA states that everything was on hold and the likes of Smith and Williams were happy to sign short term extensions with no guarantees.  

Archived